A&H

What Level?

TommmC

Hi

Was just curious as to what levels these officials would be as it's a semi pro team vs a professional team. Both teams are from Birkenhead
Cammell Laird in the North West Counties Div One South and Tranmere were in the Conference at the time. What level would the referee and the assistants be for this as it's pre season?

The Referee Store
For friendlies it is expected that the officials can cope with the level of the highest team. That means the referee is at least a 2B, more likely a 2A, assistants are likely to be L3s perhaps with one of them as an L4 for a development game.

Hi

Was just curious as to what levels these officials would be as it's a semi pro team vs a professional team. Both teams are from Birkenhead
Cammell Laird in the North West Counties Div One South and Tranmere were in the Conference at the time. What level would the referee and the assistants be for this as it's pre season?

If it was cheshire senior cup anything from a 3 to a 2a in the middle with 4s on the line.
Anythibg else what rusty said.

For friendlies it is expected that the officials can cope with the level of the highest team. That means the referee is at least a 2B, more likely a 2A, assistants are likely to be L3s perhaps with one of them as an L4 for a development game.
That's interesting you say that - I was offered matches a level higher than I would normally do last pre-season and assumed that was standard? To quote my RDO from last summer:
We have a variety of clubs and levels participating in the trial (not all of the clubs however) and will be looking to appoint match officials from the start of June.

This is a fantastic opportunity for officials to visit new clubs, work with colleagues they may have not met before as well as officiate at a higher standard than what you are used to (in pre-season you are allowed to officiate 1 level above what you normally do).
So is it not possible that this could be 4's on the line with a 3 in the middle?

That's interesting you say that - I was offered matches a level higher than I would normally do last pre-season and assumed that was standard? To quote my RDO from last summer:
So is it not possible that this could be 4's on the line with a 3 in the middle?
If you can do 1 level above then no. As minimum be a 2b in the middle. Unless they are back in football league, cant remember in which case min would be 2a.
As above, they do use 3s in the county cup but I think that is because Tranmere don't play their first team in it.

Our local team hosted Swansea pre-season and had a Level 6 as AR, with comms and everything!

Come to think of it Cardiff did a tour of Cornwall couple of seasons back and similar level refs were involved.

The FA have/had a grid of what level the referee is required to be depending on what the two teams were. They should not accept if they are not eligible.

I don't recall there being any requirements for the assistants. The underlying test is "does the referee think they are competent?", so L6 & L7's could easily do the match if they were good enough.

The FA have/had a grid of what level the referee is required to be depending on what the two teams were. They should not accept if they are not eligible.

I don't recall there being any requirements for the assistants. The underlying test is "does the referee think they are competent?", so L6 & L7's could easily do the match if they were good enough.

There's something in the commentary accompanying that grid around one of the ARs needing to be a suitable level to take over from the referee. Typically that would mean that AR1 is the level or the one below of the highest team, and AR2 may well get it as a development game.

I believe the rules around non-competition games were brought in after China's Olympic team played QPR at their training ground in 2007. All hell broke loose, and whilst Dermot Gallagher was in the middle the assistants were nowhere near the level to be officiating a tier 2 team.

Back