A&H

What happens if your assessed match is abandoned?

Dino Ref

I'm not on the promotion ladder this year but I was just wondering what happens if you abandon a match you're being assessed in.

Are any marks valid or do you have to be observed a further time?

The Referee Store
At the discretion of the County FA, and will depend at what point the game was abandoned.
As a comparison observations at Levels 3/4 are not recorded if the referee is unable to continue until at least half-time because of injury.

i came off injured 5 to 4 promotion match at about 70 mins and my mark still stood (happily as it was more than enough to keep my average up!)

as Chas says, if it's less than 45 mins you've got no hope of the mark standing, but once you blow the whistle for half time it'll be with your CFA to confirm.

i came off injured 5 to 4 promotion match at about 70 mins and my mark still stood (happily as it was more than enough to keep my average up!)

as Chas says, if it's less than 45 mins you've got no hope of the mark standing, but once you blow the whistle for half time it'll be with your CFA to confirm.
If it is less than 45 mins, we don't even complete the observation report at L4 and above.

But in an Abandoned match, would you want the report to stand. Abandonment are difficult at all times, so getting a report on development issues may be not be you want.

If it is less than 45 mins, we don't even complete the observation report at L4 and above.

But in an Abandoned match, would you want the report to stand. Abandonment are difficult at all times, so getting a report on development issues may be not be you want.
Depends how/why etc...you could have smashed it!

Depends how/why etc...you could have smashed it!
Agree. Sometimes abandoning a match is the demonstration of the high level of competence--but sometimes it has been helped a long by poor choices by the referee earlier in the game.

Aside: A colleague was being assessed under a pass/fail model that mandated a full game for the assessment to be completed. He tossed the coach with 5 minutes left in the game, which under the ROC terminated the game. While the assessor couldn't report a completed assessment, but he sympathized with my colleague, and pointed out that if my colleague hadn't tossed the coach, it would have been a fail on the assessment. (I don't recall the reason for the dismissal of the coach.)

Reactions: es1

I think as others have said, it very much depends on the reason (and the timing) for the abandonment. As early abandonment will reduce your opportunity to demonstrate a full range of competencies. But a late, well handled, abandonment for circumstances outside your control could work in your favour. As it happens, my highest mark in the middle as an L3 (73.25) happened on a game I abandoned because of a freak player injury deep into stoppage time ...

As a general statement which holds true in most games, the last 15 minutes are the most critical in a game in terms of player/game management and control. It is nearly impossible to score a referee accurately without seeing him/her close off a game. Players are running out of time to get or defend an outcome. They are getting tired an sloppy in tackles. The referee is getting fatigued physically and mentally, but there is more whining and more long balls. TBH making correct decisions in the last 15 are worth a lot more.

IMO, for most games, I can assess a referee's player/game management competency just seeing the second half. But can't say the same for the first half or even the first 60 or 75.

Story of someone whose report included high praise for the actual abandonment, due to galeforce winds.

Back