A&H

What football expects

Status
Not open for further replies.

one

RefChat Addict
Bending the rules is common place in football for things that are within the expectations of football. I was just thinking how did these expectations develop.
  • Goal keeper can be over the goal line a bit or team mates can be over the PA line a lot in such important restart as a penalty and the referee overlooks it. The thrower is over the line by one inch in a trivial restart of a throw in and he is penalised.
  • Players advance the ball a couple of meters form the position of a free kick and its overlooked, yet a goal kick or a corner kick can't be an inch over the line.
  • Keeper holds the ball in the dying minutes more than 6 seconds clearly to waste time we are not expected to give a free kick. If it is done deliberately to waste time in a restart we are expected to caution.
Feel free to mention more. Not sure if they are good or bad. What is it that makes some of them okay or at least easier to overlook (football expects) but not the other ones? How did they come about?

The Referee Store
Bending the rules is common place in football for things that are within the expectations of football. I was just thinking how did these expectations develop.
  • Goal keeper can be over the goal line a bit or team mates can be over the PA line a lot in such important restart as a penalty and the referee overlooks it. The thrower is over the line by one inch in a trivial restart of a throw in and he is penalised.
  • Players advance the ball a couple of meters form the position of a free kick and its overlooked, yet a goal kick or a corner kick can't be an inch over the line.
  • Keeper holds the ball in the dying minutes more than 6 seconds clearly to waste time we are not expected to give a free kick. If it is done deliberately to waste time in a restart we are expected to caution.
Feel free to mention more. Not sure if they are good or bad. What is it that makes some of them okay or at least easier to overlook (football expects) but not the other ones? How did they come about?

How did they come about? Easy, weak refereeing.

Referees that couldn’t be bothered with what they felt were trivial offences, let them go....players then gain an expectation that every referee will do the same....more referees cave in to peer/player pressure and stop penalising them.....quickly becomes the accepted norm.

How did they come about? Easy, weak refereeing.

Referees that couldn’t be bothered with what they felt were trivial offences, let them go....players then gain an expectation that every referee will do the same....more referees cave in to peer/player pressure and stop penalising them.....quickly becomes the accepted norm.
Its unlike you to blame anything on weak refereeing :p where did you get that idea from ;)

Seriously though, that would makes sense if it was universal. As it is, I don't think its the reason. As put in my post, foot over the line in a TI or a ball a little out of the goal area in a GK is even more trivial but they are pick just about every time.

Could it have anything to do with the corrupt, incompetent and bygone governing bodies?

My view is that football is a sport and not an exact science and as such, whilst to play competively we need some guidelines, certainly to 9 out of 10 of us on here and prob 90% of players at weekend, its a sport/hobby and not our employment career.
If everything was to be exact then we would simply play and officiate on a Nintendo Wi or so on, rather than with real humans with real emotions.

My view is that football is a sport and not an exact science and as such, whilst to play competively we need some guidelines, certainly to 9 out of 10 of us on here and prob 90% of players at weekend, its a sport/hobby and not our employment career.
If everything was to be exact then we would simply play and officiate on a Nintendo Wi or so on, rather than with real humans with real emotions.

So it’s ok to bend, break or disregard whatever Laws we feel like because, hey, its only a game and we don’t need to take to it seriously?

Attention focussed on the key area here. Call it lazy and weak if you will; I'll call it prioritising on the critical point.
For the referee and the AR, yes. For the 4th official, not a chance. Even if the 4th official told the referee the bench was a couple of meters in too early in celebration I am fairly certain the referee would have let it slide.

The point is not if it should be 'exact' or not. It's why something's are axact and some are not. Which ones are seem to be arbitary.

For the referee and the AR, yes. For the 4th official, not a chance. Even if the 4th official told the referee the bench was a couple of meters in too early in celebration I am fairly certain the referee would have let it slide.
I think the extra man on the pitch rule was intended for 12 v 11 situations. Who knows, the way the book is written...

Here is another, goals scored with extra persons on the FOP

View attachment 1980

Is anyone going to suggest that the referee should have disallowed the goal or blown up before the ball crossed the line because the white team are on the pitch? If you are following the rulebook like a computer or robot then by all means blow up and disallow the goal.

If anyone says they'd have disallowed this goal or this goal should have been disallowed, then please kill me now. I'll give you my address, come and shoot me in the head because I can't take it anymore. Yes, it's not ideal, but the team were just about to win a cup final and they couldn't contain their excitement and passion. They are human and it's a one off thing. To be fair I seem to remember seeing it quite a lot in college soccer in the US.

You called in right in terms of "what football expects". It's just how the game has developed and how it is played. You could say if a player commits a foul on the half-way line, why do we allow the free-kick to be taken one yard from where the foul was committed? It's because it doesn't really matter whereas we try and be more precise around the penalty area. It's for the good of the game. The man in black doesn't need to be a little power hungry dictator. Nobody turns up to watch the referee, they are there to play or watch football, not the referee. The sport is football, the sport isn't refereeing. I can put in a 100% perfect performance by the LOTG, do everything by the letter of the law, nitpick over absolutely everything to the point of it being farcical but within the LOTG and the game will be hell on earth for all involved. If that's some peoples cup of tea then so be it and if that's that's how some people get their kicks or only satisfaction in life then brilliant but in my opinion that's exactly the type of thing that makes coaches or players shout "it's not all about you referee" " we aren't here to watch you referee, just let us play".

Is anyone going to suggest that the referee should have disallowed the goal or blown up before the ball crossed the line because the white team are on the pitch? If you are following the rulebook like a computer or robot then by all means blow up and disallow the goal.

If anyone says they'd have disallowed this goal or this goal should have been disallowed, then please kill me now. I'll give you my address, come and shoot me in the head because I can't take it anymore. Yes, it's not ideal, but the team were just about to win a cup final and they couldn't contain their excitement and passion. They are human and it's a one off thing. To be fair I seem to remember seeing it quite a lot in college soccer in the US.

You called in right in terms of "what football expects". It's just how the game has developed and how it is played. You could say if a player commits a foul on the half-way line, why do we allow the free-kick to be taken one yard from where the foul was committed? It's because it doesn't really matter whereas we try and be more precise around the penalty area. It's for the good of the game. The man in black doesn't need to be a little power hungry dictator. Nobody turns up to watch the referee, they are there to play or watch football, not the referee. The sport is football, the sport isn't refereeing. I can put in a 100% perfect performance by the LOTG, do everything by the letter of the law, nitpick over absolutely everything to the point of it being farcical but within the LOTG and the game will be hell on earth for all involved. If that's some peoples cup of tea then so be it and if that's that's how some people get their kicks or only satisfaction in life then brilliant but in my opinion that's exactly the type of thing that makes coaches or players shout "it's not all about you referee" " we aren't here to watch you referee, just let us play".
Agree with just about everything you said there. Now can you explain to me, using all the "it doesn't really matter" reasoning you explained, if a keeper takes a goal kick (way down the other side of the goal he is attacking) half a meter over the goal area line, just about every referee would retake it and not a single player coach would complain? However if it was an offside IFK inside the goal area, kepper takes it two meters outside the goal area and no one cares. And if a referee asks for a retake, as you say, its all about the referee.

And about the goal with white subs on the field. Not suggesting that at all. Its an example I used about a law everyone is happy to ignore in this circumstance. Even the opponents wouldn't complain about this.

Last edited:
Agree with just about everything you said there. Now can you explain to me, using all the "it doesn't really matter" reasoning you explained, if a keeper takes a goal kick (way down the other side of the goal he is attacking) half a meter over the goal area line, just about every referee would retake it and not a single player coach would complain? However if it was an offside IFK inside the goal area, kepper takes it two meters outside the goal area and no one cares. And if a referee asks for a retake, as you say, its all about the referee.

I think it's because things like corner kicks and goal kicks have to be from a specific spot. There are specific markings and lines for these so there is no flexibility or variation whereas in other examples there is flexibility just because there aren't these specific markings/arcs etc. Just like on a throw-in....you can move slightly down the line from where the ball left the field of play but you can't move onto the field of play because there is a marked boundary. At least that's the only explanation I can give you if you are looking for an answer on why I/we'd allow a IFK to be taken a meter or two further forward but not a goalkick further forward from the marked line.

(P.S I think the example you just used about the IFK inside the area is more likely to be enforced i.e if the offence is committed in the area, then a referee could be more likely to make the GK take the kick inside the area, but maybe not in the exact spot but I was talking where there aren't boundaries so a freekick taken 2 meters further forward in the defensive third outside the area compared to a goalkick being taken 2 meters ahead of the six yard line )

I think it's because things like corner kicks and goal kicks have to be from a specific spot. There are specific markings and lines for these so there is no flexibility or variation whereas in other examples there is flexibility just because there aren't these specific markings/arcs etc. Just like on a throw-in....you can move slightly down the line from where the ball left the field of play but you can't move onto the field of play because there is a marked boundary. At least that's the only explanation I can give you if you are looking for an answer on why I/we'd allow a IFK to be taken a meter or two further forward but not a goalkick further forward from the marked line.

(P.S I think the example you just used about the IFK inside the area is more likely to be enforced i.e if the offence is committed in the area, then a referee could be more likely to make the GK take the kick inside the area, but maybe not in the exact spot but I was talking where there aren't boundaries so a freekick taken 2 meters further forward in the defensive third outside the area compared to a goalkick being taken 2 meters ahead of the six yard line )
A fair and plausible explanation. However the same "line marking" logic doesn't apply at a penalty kick. In fact even the amount of flexibility of is uneven. A keeper is unofficially ignored if a little over the line. The other players are ignored a lot into the PA. As I said, its about "football expects" and I am still wondering how did each one of these 'expectations' develop?

So it’s ok to bend, break or disregard whatever Laws we feel like because, hey, its only a game and we don’t need to take to it seriously?

There is taking it seriously, and there is sitting shackled into an electric chair waiting for the voltage to start flowing
Will I sleep at night if someones shoelace is on the park at a throw or if a worm sprouts from under the ball at a goal kick and vibrates the ball slightly? yes
We are sporting match officials, charged with fair play and over seeing sporting events
not dictators of state with a finger on the nuke button

A fair and plausible explanation. However the same "line marking" logic doesn't apply at a penalty kick. In fact even the amount of flexibility of is uneven. A keeper is unofficially ignored if a little over the line. The other players are ignored a lot into the PA. As I said, its about "football expects" and I am still wondering how did each one of these 'expectations' develop?

Don't ask me. I have no idea. It's just what we all know I guess. I'm with you on the flexibility of the keeper coming off his line though. Either issue guidelines which state the keeper can move slightly forward within reason or issue guidelines which state they have to stay on the line and the dive has to be sideways rather than taking a couple of steps forward and then diving. It could do with tidying up a little I guess but it's not my biggest concern.

Reactions: one
if the offence is committed in the area, then a referee could be more likely to make the GK take the kick inside the area, but maybe not in the exact spot
Smart @rse comment alert.

Any free kick inside the goal area can be taken from anywhere inside the goal area so any ref demanding it be from the exact spot would be wrong.

Ps. Your explanation is highly plausible, and makes perfect sense :)

There is taking it seriously, and there is sitting shackled into an electric chair waiting for the voltage to start flowing
Will I sleep at night if someones shoelace is on the park at a throw or if a worm sprouts from under the ball at a goal kick and vibrates the ball slightly? yes
We are sporting match officials, charged with fair play and over seeing sporting events
not dictators of state with a finger on the nuke button

In accordance with the LOTG.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back