A&H

What do you think?

JH

RefChat Addict

Keeper goes down as the corner comes in, play continues until the ball is bundled in, ref and AR confer, offside given (despite what the commentator says).

The Referee Store
This clearly looks offside. The keeper was interfered with by a PIOP. Not sure if AR put his flag up straight away. But the process looks very messy. Play should have stopped with the keeper down or immidiately after the offside offence. It looks like the referee is asking the AR to get him out of trouble by flagging offside.

Offside is just wrong here. Can't be offside from a corner kick - and that's what this is. There needs to be another attacking touch before we can think about offside.
Heck, the attacker wasn't even in an offside position that the moment the ball was last touched by a teammate because he was behind the ball.
So 2 reasons why offside is wrong in law.
Clear foul though.

I think they have given offside for the final touch by the yellow player on the ground. Presumably the judgement being that the foot/leg that the ball hit was in an offside position when the ball was played after hitting the post.

There’s obviously only 1 opponent closer to the goal so it would depend on the position of the foot/leg relative to the ball.

Looking at this in slow mo now it is not a clear offside as I original though. The eventual scorer is actually behind the keeper and a defender at the time of the first header. And he seems to be behind the ball after the second header (after hitting the post). the foot could not have been in front of the ball because the ball moves backwards after the second header then hits the foot (or whatever else it hit).

Realistically this is so difficult to work out even with replays and slow mos, I don't understand how they could have made a definitive decision live to overturn an original decision.

Interesting one at 10.28. Goalscorer is well onside when it's headed but think it deflects of the attackers knee after that. Great spot if the 3 is actually in an offside position at that point, can't tell from that camera. angle.

I am not sure what the referee was thinking on his positioning there and why he was not looking at the goalkeeper. It appears to be a very clever push on the goalkeeper which should have stopped right then and there with a free kick. I would have liked to see the referee in the penalty box and also at least 3 yards to his left, but that is just me.

Back