A&H

What are our thoughts on this?

The Referee Store
Red card for the tackle?! First view to me looked yellow at worst!! Definite red for the push... No way is anyone running 20 yards and pushing me like that and staying anywhere near the pitch. Chances are I'm going home too

YELLOW????
Off his feet, jumped in, two footed, out of control, using excessive force. Definite red all day IMO. :)

Watched it again... Can't say I think he was going in to hurt his opponent which is how I generally judge these things... Reckless imo

I guess we'll have to disagree on this one then :)
I don't think you can get a more straight forward red but again that is just my own opinion

I agree - the tackle itself is a caution.

Caution for the tackle
GK don't get an extra bonus just because they tried to tackle like a "regular" player

Red card all day long for the tackle, two feet off the floor, endangering the opponent.....whether intentional or not is completely irrelevant .

However........I'm not convinced there was much of a push at all on the ref....looked much more like a squaring up or chest puffing and the ref falls over.........have watched it several times and cannot see any forceful or violent movement of the gk's arms in a pushing motion.......
His arms go forward in an attempt to catch the ref.........

But not the best angle to see it clearly.

I'm surprised how many people have seen the tackle as worthy of a red card; I see it as a clear yellow and that's sufficient
Whilst there appears to be minimal contact between the keeper and the referee, it is totally unacceptable for the keeper to put hands on the referee in a threatening way. Red card for that every day of the week

Red card all day long for the tackle but not convinced of the push on the ref because of the angle

Now that's gold

Red card all day long for the tackle but not convinced of the push on the ref because of the angle

Now that's gold

No...that's called the gk running left to right across the camera shot making it easy for any competent referee to see that it is a dangerous tackle, as opposed to the gk running into the camera shot with the referee obscuring him making it unclear what force or contact, if any was made.

Never been called incompetent before... Ahh well guess because my opinion is different to padfoot's I better throw my whistle away. Shame really... I was very much looking forward to my north west regional development group and national young referee development programme meetings. Shucks

Never been called incompetent before... Ahh well guess because my opinion is different to padfoot's I better throw my whistle away. Shame really... I was very much looking forward to my north west regional development group and national young referee development programme meetings. Shucks
I on the other hand don't plan on calling anyone incompetent but I do and by my view that it is a clear red. Please can you explain your reasoning for a yellow? (Not trying to be confrontational, just inquisitive), I just don't see it? :confused::)

I on the other hand don't plan on calling anyone incompetent but I do and by my view that it is a clear red. Please can you explain your reasoning for a yellow? (Not trying to be confrontational, just inquisitive), I just don't see it? :confused::)

We can't see any detail on the video, sure the tackle looks bad (but not THAT bad, yes he's a bit in the air but one foot only so..) but look how quick the striker got up, obviously there wasn't even any contact
IMO the tackle wasn't nearly dramatic enough to be worth a red when you're not even sure there was contact

We can't see any detail on the video, sure the tackle looks bad (but not THAT bad, yes he's a bit in the air but one foot only so..) but look how quick the striker got up, obviously there wasn't even any contact
IMO the tackle wasn't nearly dramatic enough to be worth a red when you're not even sure there was contact
In this case I wouldn't be bothered if there was contact. Just because the attacker doesn't wait around for his legs to be broken doesn't mean we shouldn't give a red.
For me the keeper jumps in with both feet, out of control with the sole purpose of brining down the striker. But as you have shown it is easy to sell for both scenarios.

Ah, you'll be going yellow for 'match control' reasons then.......

People....its clear as day that both the gk's feet leave the floor in the challenge.....that makes him effectively an unguided missile.....which endangers the safety of his opponent....which is serious foul play....which is a red card.
It's very simple this refereeing lark, you simply have to referee what is in front of you and not try to find reasons why you shouldn't give the correct sanction.

Back