A&H

we don't do red and yellow cards!

Kent Ref

RefChat Addict
I reffed an under 11s game on Saturday and the manager said "it's non competitive so we don't do cards, ref!".

I said to him "what do i do if a player punches another player"? He said "sub him".

I explained to him that cards can be used in any game and if he thought he was correct he should get the league to confirm it.

I've heard it all.

The Referee Store
I reffed an under 11s game on Saturday and the manager said "it's non competitive so we don't do cards, ref!".

I said to him "what do i do if a player punches another player"? He said "sub him".

I explained to him that cards can be used in any game and if he thought he was correct he should get the league to confirm it.

I've heard it all.

If they dont want cards shown, then, they dont require a qualified appointed referee.
If am turning up, am carrying out my refereeing duty, and whatever that entails.

This happened recently in a game (Heard through the grapevine).

Player was doing enough OFFINABUS offences that the referee asked for him to be subbed. So he got subbed out. Turned out they ended up brawling in a melee shortly after the game concluded.

Perhaps a red card would have killed this aggression nice and early, perhaps not, but I think by reducing the punishment to a substitution it just delayed the inevitable.

This happened recently in a game (Heard through the grapevine).

Player was doing enough OFFINABUS offences that the referee asked for him to be subbed. So he got subbed out. Turned out they ended up brawling in a melee shortly after the game concluded.

Perhaps a red card would have killed this aggression nice and early, perhaps not, but I think by reducing the punishment to a substitution it just delayed the inevitable.
. . . and for the benefit of our newer colleagues, a reminder that the referee cannot ask for a player to be substituted (but could for example tell the coach that "the player is getting very close to a dismissal, so it's up to you, coach")

Valid point. I'd go one better and suggest that a bunch of 10-11 year olds don't even require a qualified adult referee. All they need is a qualified youngster or a responsible adult ...
One of the best reasons to have trained referees at the younger levels is to feed the chain for referees at older levels . . .

In the US, AYSO uses three official teams starting at 10U. Of course it is overkill in those games (though the parents still think it isn't enough of course . . . ) But AYSO uses 100% volunteer refs, and getting parents (and others, typically relatives) to start volunteering at 10U is a lot easier than trying to get them to start older. They break in at 10U, and enough of those keep going to 12U, and then on to 12U to keep the games staffed. And enough get the bug and keep volunteering that we have folks willing to keep going and do the older more competitive levels, with most of those doing 16U and 19U no longer having kids playing--and probably the majority of those who keep going also end up doing non-AYSO club games or scholastic games for pay, as well.

. . . and for the benefit of our newer colleagues, a reminder that the referee cannot ask for a player to be substituted (but could for example tell the coach that "the player is getting very close to a dismissal, so it's up to you, coach")
Had a friendly a couple of years ago which I did exactly that. The coach thanked me and said you do what you have to do. 5 minutes later the player got his second yellow. No disagreements from the coach. As if he was expecting it.

Had a college game - I'm never quite sure how they work, but the colleges play under the name of a professional club, using the the kit, but they are NOT based at the club nor are they linked to that club's 'official' U18s etc.

However it is a league and the clubs do travel from Norwich, Peterborough, Plymouth etc to the home team I do in Middlesex.

In one game the home team was winning easily, really easily, think we were approaching double figures - about 5 mins to go away team GK was 'injured' (Ref told me afterwards he think he had lost heart by then!) but his team had used up all the subs. Home team manager said he had no problem with allowing one of the substituted players to return to the fop for the last 5 so away team didn't play with 10.

Ref agreed and everyone was happy.

Valid point. I'd go one better and suggest that a bunch of 10-11 year olds don't even require a qualified adult referee. All they need is a qualified youngster or a responsible adult ...
I've turned up for u13s before and they were in awe, mainly because they normally get some young teen fresh out of course doing games.
Don't get me wrong. Some are probably better than me after 2 games lol....
But to these kids, sometimes an adult ref is like the world cup, especially if they're lower level games.
Nice of coaches to hear that they do appreciate the kids but nice sometimes to get an older head.

I've turned up for u13s before and they were in awe, mainly because they normally get some young teen fresh out of course doing games.
Don't get me wrong. Some are probably better than me after 2 games lol....
But to these kids, sometimes an adult ref is like the world cup, especially if they're lower level games.
Nice of coaches to hear that they do appreciate the kids but nice sometimes to get an older head.
I've got an U13s County Cup Final and a semi in another U13s County comp - both middles - I have a horrible feeling, all the other officials and players are going to make me feel positively ancient! :rolleyes:

Back