A&H

WBA vs Forest

Jtpetherick1

If anyone wonders why Keith Stroud never made it to the top of SG1 or to the FIFA list as a referee I suggest you watch today's game in full. Two major fouls missed - one which lead to a goal for WBA - and some YCs that should have been and some that shouldn't.

I don't like criticising referees but I've watched him several times this season and have never been remotely impressed.

That said, a correct YC for dissent for the Forest 'keeper.

The Referee Store
I don't like criticising referees
I don't mind making justified exceptions. He's awful and has been for years. It really irritates me despite being completely neutral
This is the morning's big game. I feel for anyone who is 4th Official with KS in the middle

We might not see a better goal around the UK today, than the stunning equalizer 🚀
Not even KS could spoil that one

Very interesting offside incident right on the final whistle
West Brom winner ruled out because West Brom attacker inadvertently stops shot (from his own Teammate) on the line with his hand!. To add to the plot, he and his hand were over the Goal Line. One for YouTube capture later, but incorrect decision (albeit impossible call)

Please refer to the pinned post. This is a refereeing forum, not a fans forum, and posting the spouting and ranting of people on Twitter accusing the referee of cheating isn't appropriate. Keep it to refereeing or this will very quickly be closed down.

Please refer to the pinned post. This is a refereeing forum, not a fans forum, and posting the spouting and ranting of people on Twitter accusing the referee of cheating isn't appropriate. Keep it to refereeing or this will very quickly be closed down.
Great game to watch the highlights. Lots of refereeing incident. It's really difficult to not be aghast by what we saw however. Baffling... the appointments always prefer experience over ability
The Championship continues to be the best League in the World for me. It walks all over the EPL

Very interesting offside incident right on the final whistle
West Brom winner ruled out because West Brom attacker inadvertently stops shot (from his own Teammate) on the line with his hand!. To add to the plot, he and his hand were over the Goal Line. One for YouTube capture later, but incorrect decision (albeit impossible call)
Was the ball was already over the line before it hit the attacker?
And was the attacker not interfering with an opponent?

Presumably the offside must have been given for interfering with an opponent? They have goal-line technology in the Championship don't they so they must have known the ball had crossed the line when it hit him?

I'm a Forest fan, but for @RustyRef benefit I'm going to give an objective point of view on some of the key incidents.

1) Livermore foul on Ribero. At full speed it looked like nothing more than a standard attacking foul on a full back clearing the ball. Only when you see the replay in slow motion you can see that it ticks the boxes for SFP. If anyone is giving that, it's the AR as it's in his zone of credibility, but it's exactly the type of situation where VAR helps to get to the right decision. The chopping motion of the left foot onto the knee is not obvious but is very naughty.

2) Handball shout for Forest penalty. I didn't think it was, it's one of those that if you're an attacker you think it is, if you're a defender you think it isn't. Again zone of credibility would be for AR not referee.

3) Second WBA goal. Sammy is fouled 80 yards from his own goal. It's a clear foul missed by the referee, BUT before the goal is scored there are 4 or 5 Forest players who should do better to stop the attack. For me, just blaming the referee for the goal is masking the subsequent errors by the Forest defenders.

4) Offside goal at end. Based on fact that attacker is in offside position with the proximity of the defender trying to get across to block the ball and the subsequent position of where the ball ends up, I can see in real time why the offside decision is given. Another one where the officials get one look at it in full speed and have to make a decision. Having looked at slow motion replays I concluded it should be a goal, but that's with the benefit of having seen it from a number of angles. Again with VAR we would likely have got to the right decision.

My conclusion - I thought it was a challenging game to referee, both teams were playing right on the edge. 2 KMI'S were ones that were very difficult to pick up at full speed and as usual the benefit of seeing it from multiple angles and in slow motion helps us.

As a Forest fan, I'm happy that we've walked away from probably the toughest game of the season with a point and it probably flattered is a little bit, but we're still in the promotion hunt!

I'm a Forest fan, but for @RustyRef benefit I'm going to give an objective point of view on some of the key incidents.

1) Livermore foul on Ribero. At full speed it looked like nothing more than a standard attacking foul on a full back clearing the ball. Only when you see the replay in slow motion you can see that it ticks the boxes for SFP. If anyone is giving that, it's the AR as it's in his zone of credibility, but it's exactly the type of situation where VAR helps to get to the right decision. The chopping motion of the left foot onto the knee is not obvious but is very naughty.

2) Handball shout for Forest penalty. I didn't think it was, it's one of those that if you're an attacker you think it is, if you're a defender you think it isn't. Again zone of credibility would be for AR not referee.

3) Second WBA goal. Sammy is fouled 80 yards from his own goal. It's a clear foul missed by the referee, BUT before the goal is scored there are 4 or 5 Forest players who should do better to stop the attack. For me, just blaming the referee for the goal is masking the subsequent errors by the Forest defenders.

4) Offside goal at end. Based on fact that attacker is in offside position with the proximity of the defender trying to get across to block the ball and the subsequent position of where the ball ends up, I can see in real time why the offside decision is given. Another one where the officials get one look at it in full speed and have to make a decision. Having looked at slow motion replays I concluded it should be a goal, but that's with the benefit of having seen it from a number of angles. Again with VAR we would likely have got to the right decision.

My conclusion - I thought it was a challenging game to referee, both teams were playing right on the edge. 2 KMI'S were ones that were very difficult to pick up at full speed and as usual the benefit of seeing it from multiple angles and in slow motion helps us.

As a Forest fan, I'm happy that we've walked away from probably the toughest game of the season with a point and it probably flattered is a little bit, but we're still in the promotion hunt!
You've missed the clear foul on Forest player on the edge of the attacking PA
Three times I counted a missed foul because the ref inexplicably had his back turned. No trailing eye, just back to play :confused:
Nobody will point the finger at the officials for the last play of the game. Initially, looked like a great flag

You've missed the clear foul on Forest player on the edge of the attacking PA
Three times I counted a missed foul because the ref inexplicably had his back turned. No trailing eye, just back to play :confused:
Nobody will point the finger at the officials for the last play of the game. Initially, looked like a great flag
Yep I did miss that one.

The whole outcry by fellow Forest fans on social media is mad.

1st WBA goal, clear error by Samba Sow.
2nd WBA goal if any one of a number of Forest players had have done their job, they wouldn't have got close to scoring.

The highlights package I watched didn't seem that controversial?

Only thing was the offside on the goal line, but that's a really tough ask.

Red Card for Livermore?

I watched the game live on Sky. The thing about that was at full speed it looked like a standard attacker on full back foul as the defender has cleared the ball.

There was none of the "Oooohhh" that you instinctively get from a SFP foul. Forest Players reactions didn't indicate that it was any more than a foul.

It was only on the second replay that they showed on the TV that it looked really naughty.

Really wanna be a Stroud fan as he's from these parts, but he does seem to have some real stinkers.

That said, after watching Oliver Langford absolutely crap his pants in midweek, everyone's a winner.

Last edited:
I watched the game live on Sky. The thing about that was at full speed it looked like a standard attacker on full back foul as the defender has cleared the ball.

There was none of the "Oooohhh" that you instinctively get from a SFP foul. Forest Players reactions didn't indicate that it was any more than a foul.

It was only on the second replay that they showed on the TV that it looked really naughty.

It was RichieGate that as a fan, first brought KS to my attn.
Arguably a sackable offence, the way that debacle played out
As a referee, it bothers me that there's one professional referee who stands out so frequently. It's bad form to call out a colleague as I'm doing, but not when you consider this from the perspective of that EPL official whose promotion is being denied by this fella. This was a top-end Championship appointment. What's going on?

Last edited:
Back