A&H

Watching yourself referee

zarathustra

RefChat Addict
How many here have had the opportunity to watch themselves referee a match, either because one of the teams has filmed the match, or as part of a development group?

I refereed a match back at the beginning of October and the Home team video all their games and post them on YouTube, videos are only about 10 minutes long (if that) so very much a highlight reel.

I saw the video online a week or two after the game and it did make me question whether a couple of my decisions were correct, and how I missed something that happen d right in front of me.

I know videos can be a powerful learning tool, but in cases such as this where one team just posts the highlights and you stumble across them do you find they make you question some decisions that you were 100% happy with at the time?

The Referee Store
How many here have had the opportunity to watch themselves referee a match, either because one of the teams has filmed the match, or as part of a development group?

I refereed a match back at the beginning of October and the Home team video all their games and post them on YouTube, videos are only about 10 minutes long (if that) so very much a highlight reel.

I saw the video online a week or two after the game and it did make me question whether a couple of my decisions were correct, and how I missed something that happen d right in front of me.

I know videos can be a powerful learning tool, but in cases such as this where one team just posts the highlights and you stumble across them do you find they make you question some decisions that you were 100% happy with at the time?
Yes, had this once.

I was generally happy but the 1 caution in the game on replay was harsh. And I may have missed a foul on keeper but it was because I had been distracted and hadnt actually seen the offence. It was a learning point but tbf keeper didnt put up much of a fight.

Also certain going to get some proper highlights from my game on saturday on the line and i am going to be very interested in how accurate my decisions are.

I have, quite a few times as my school films all its 1st XI games and when they are not playing (or are away) will often film one of the other teams instead.

Is a really useful tool for your own development.

(Sadly, because of the competitions they play in requiring neutral officials, I only get to "do" our 1st XI on a few occasions each year, in friendlies.)

Quite a few times i have been filmed refereeing, knowing that you're being filmed encouraged me even more to do the best that i could obviously we aren't all God and can see everything.

After reviewing my performance there were a lot of points my coach gave to me after watching the video. But overall good performance this game had a mass con and unfortunately i didn't send off a player for an obvious headbutt. However it was my blind spot and was hoping for clarification from my assistants who had a better view. But we miss things we are only human.

not having a go about the missed headbut, it happens, did you find you and the ars were all watching the same players, so you missed something else going on

I've sat through three of me with the whistle - all youth without any serious KMIs to debate - but the big learning for me was the massive gap between how I thought I looked and how I looked. Made me want to change my posture for the better, which hopefully I have taken great strides to do.

not having a go about the missed headbut, it happens, did you find you and the ars were all watching the same players, so you missed something else going on

No mate, in the pre-match conversation i gave them clear instructions about what i wanted them to focus on in case the situation unfolded and how best we can deal with the incident. But what happened was 1 of the Asst (Senior) over and tried to disburse the players, whereas the other Asst (Junior) stayed on his line and i had to call him over. Which was really annoying. But i did say to the Senior that if we ever have a game together again to to run in just stand back and watch and see! But it is one of them things!!

I've sat through three of me with the whistle - all youth without any serious KMIs to debate - but the big learning for me was the massive gap between how I thought I looked and how I looked. Made me want to change my posture for the better, which hopefully I have taken great strides to do.

I must agree! The way i thought that i looked was completely different from the video of me refereeing. Points i gained:
1. My arm is too low at times decisions are given
2. My head goes down when making decisions (been told by my coach too)
3. The way i run

But going on this information since the last time you viewed yourself have you improved because that's the main thing!!

I must agree! The way i thought that i looked was completely different from the video of me refereeing. Points i gained:
1. My arm is too low at times decisions are given
2. My head goes down when making decisions (been told by my coach too)
3. The way i run

But going on this information since the last time you viewed yourself have you improved because that's the main thing!!
If you are asking me the question...? Well, I hope so, and I am sure I have. I am lanky and also do a lot of hunched computer and music work so I was really stooping. I saw a physio and a PT. I've done a lot about one dropped shoulder and I walk and run much more upright than before - though it is amazing how quickly bad habits come back! The outdoor season finished at the end of October and I can feel my shoulders and the rest are trying to return to their poor positions:( I also got advice about non-straight arms when signalling but I tried to fix that much earlier ;)

There was one team in my old Saturday league who were absolutely useless. However their match days included Twitter feed minute by minute, goal updates on FB, player interviews, match reports with photos and FB notifications when players signed. If only their play matched their media department. I saved a couple of humorous photos that I was on, I’ll dig them out!

I did a live televised TV game in the middle, albeit by accident, so was interesting to watch back. More interesting was the texts and messages on my phone when I got back to the changing room, the best of which was "imagine my surprise when I looked up from the ironing to see RustyRef's mug staring at me from the TV screen" ... :)

When you get to Panel Select and above, so officiating on the National League Premier, all games are filmed and the DVD is given to the observer straight after the game. The observer then has to review all KMIs on the DVD to ensure they were correct, and if you are involved in one of these you are offered a copy of it. Even if you don't get in that position, the majority of games can be watched back on the clubs' websites.

I did a live televised TV game in the middle, albeit by accident, so was interesting to watch back. More interesting was the texts and messages on my phone when I got back to the changing room, the best of which was "imagine my surprise when I looked up from the ironing to see RustyRef's mug staring at me from the TV screen" ... :)

When you get to Panel Select and above, so officiating on the National League Premier, all games are filmed and the DVD is given to the observer straight after the game. The observer then has to review all KMIs on the DVD to ensure they were correct, and if you are involved in one of these you are offered a copy of it. Even if you don't get in that position, the majority of games can be watched back on the clubs' websites.
can you tell us how that happened rusty ref, did the original referee call off, get injured, or what

can you tell us how that happened rusty ref, did the original referee call off, get injured, or what

Injured, I could hear the pundits behind me as I was 4th official an they were interviewing someone who had gone off injured. All I then heard was "well you are in good company as it appears the referee is also limping off injured". At that point I saw him limping over, and suggested I needed to warm up. No chance of that, the Floor Manager said that it needed to happen there and then so I was on straight away.

Won't pretend I didn't love it though, and it went without any kind of controversy.

thanks so i take it you were ready under your tracksuit with everything you needed in your pocket, cards.whistles

Back