A&H

Watching offside and watching play when it is close to your line

SM

The avuncular one
A skill I am struggling to wrap my head around is watching the offside line AND keeping an eye on play when it is close to your line.

Good referees will help here with discreet hand signals to let you know which way the throw should go, but for some reason my eyes, head and arms don't seem to always be on the same page! The risk of the random ball out of play flag!

Anyone got any good advice about this?

The Referee Store
lol...I struggle with this as well. I got marked down once because I was watching a tustle a few feet from the touchline thinking ball was about to go out of play, and not the off side line.

When play is in my 'area' - ie: close to touchline and in my half, I tend to watch the ball/challenges, but keep flicking eyes to 2nd last defender to check my offside line.

Sometimes taking a step back from the touchline can help because it very slightly widens your field of view and sometimes gives you a view of both the ball (when close to you) and the offside line.

Sounds stupid but if nothing else works it's worth a try, has helped me on a few occasions.

SM

Try turning side on to the FOP keeping the touchline to your right and the flag in that hand (running right wings) and learning to run backwards (There is a good FA training diagram set for setting out some cones and practising this, running then turning or changing direction, your RDO or CFA instructors should have a copy) I used to practice with radio 5-Live in my earpiece as I ran up and down a deserted but well lit bit of park with a flag, starting, stopping, turning, changing hands and signalling to the live commentary - a few locals called me 'that nutty referee' - they're right, I had voices in my head!

20-25 minutes live virtual top class footy + warm up/down is a bit beyond my fitness now, but doing it that way back then I found the time flew past improving my stamina and technique at the same time. Facing 'backwards' you need only then rock your head or glance through 90 degrees, giving you a view of both touchline and 2nd last defender(s) but also everything going on in between.

When you need to stop to signal either way, you can smoothly change hands below waist height as you turn on your heel to face the FOP, looks really spot on if it's done right, just takes practice. With good eye contact and the flag clearly held away pointing to the ground a foot or so in your left or right hand for a split second if you change hands can lead your colleague very clearly if he's looking to get out of jail, again it's just practice, but it prevents flagging to quickly or against your colleague in the middle.

The good tip about stepping back a yard or so from touch can be helpful in more ways than one, so long as half a dozen subs aren't warming up alongside you, you might need to find better ground at this time of year with the touch lines (our patrol path) being in such bad condition underfoot and run your line a step or two back,I always go out of my way during pre-match walkabout to have a good look at where I'm working, just to check I'll be safely running and not having to watch where I'm stepping.

Best of luck to you mate, do it bit by bit, 'evolution not revolution'

Do not run side on to the field of play! You should be facing infield at all times except when sprinting. You should shuffle (crab) sideways along your patrol path, facing into play as often as possible. As for keeping play and 2nd rear most defender in view, the stepping back from the line works wonders and aids your peripheral vision. If you can learn to turn your head or swivel your eyes quickly, you can manage both jobs. Failing that if you are forced to choose, then choose watching for offside and let the referee lead you on the throw-in. If he gets it wrong, blame him, he can run away, you're stuck on the touchline near the technical areas. In fact a good referee will tell you to do that as he will be blaming you when speaking to the players!

Don't agree Brian, we can't all be Phil Sharp, this is the way I was coached as I was quick enough to do it, not many referees get taught to run backwards nowadays, you have to turn for sprints towards the goal I agree, but it's the anticipation and practice that pays dividends

Don't agree Brian, we can't all be Phil Sharp, this is the way I was coached as I was quick enough to do it, not many referees get taught to run backwards nowadays, you have to turn for sprints towards the goal I agree, but it's the anticipation and practice that pays dividends
They don't get taught that way on any course I've seen or taught on for the last 6 years. Also on any one of the 4 Supply Leagues on which I assess, running along the line for short distances will not get as many marks as crabbing like Sharpie

Back