A&H

Watches

Josh the referee

Level 7 Referee
Can't seem to find a more up-to-date version on this topic but what watches do people use that are a reasonable price?

Currently use RefSix on a smart watch I own but would enjoy to change it up!

The Referee Store
I use a Garmin with the Referee Watch app by winder. It vibrates, manages stoppage time, show up and down at the same time, is easy to set for different length games and extra time, vibrates every 30 seconds after time is up, vibrates regularly while time is stoped. (I use the Vivoactive, but the app works with a variety of the Garmin e watches+p- but not all.) and for me, it became my every day watch and watch for other exercise activities as well.

I use a Garmin Vivoactive 4 and currently use refsix on it.
I have a Casio on my other wrist in case of failure.

I’ve got Refsix on an Apple Watch, but tbh, prefer a pair of the Casio £15 Argos specials. Just does the job and I trust my pen and they don’t beep or honk when I don’t want them to.
Can you run multiple timers on Casio because I'm usually refereeing where Sin-bins are in place. Is there another way people get around this without setting an additional timer?

one basic Casio
one basic analogue.

no idea why folks use tech to make a simple thing ( telling the time) difficult

i guess it's because some watches can do much more than just tell the time / countdown. some could be considered gimmicks but each to their own i guess

my 'fancy' watch tracks how far and fast i run together with heart rate and i get a lovely track after the game of where i've run

i guess it's because some watches can do much more than just tell the time / countdown. some could be considered gimmicks but each to their own i guess

my 'fancy' watch tracks how far and fast i run together with heart rate and i get a lovely track after the game of where i've run

Any of the data useful other than to personally record it?

Am thinking up to, the last ten years max, millions of refs reffed without that additional data and managed fine.

Timing the match is essential, yes anything else is nice but unlikely to improve anybodys refereeing, other than draw a heat map.

Any of the data useful other than to personally record it?

Am thinking up to, the last ten years max, millions of refs reffed without that additional data and managed fine.

Timing the match is essential, yes anything else is nice but unlikely to improve anybodys refereeing, other than draw a heat map

by tracking distances i know roughly what my average distance covered per 10 mins should be. obviously each game requires different amounts of running but if i'm under that i know i'm likely not working hard enough. i think that's a pretty good application of the technology in game. after the game a heat map can be useful for sure to see your overall position (not that my watch has that function)

by tracking distances i know roughly what my average distance covered per 10 mins should be. obviously each game requires different amounts of running but if i'm under that i know i'm likely not working hard enough. i think that's a pretty good application of the technology in game. after the game a heat map can be useful for sure to see your overall position (not that my watch has that function)

you only need to work as hard as the game though

its that which will dictate your movement

one basic Casio
one basic analogue.

no idea why folks use tech to make a simple thing ( telling the time) difficult

To me there are two things I particularly like about the "fancy" watch (which for me is the Garmin with the Referee Watch app). First, the vibrate feature. It means I know when the watch says time is up, but it isn't beeping so that players hear it. Second, I like that I can have all the times--halves, half time, extra time, all set up so I don't have to do anything during the game. For me, everything after that is a bit of gravy and mildly useful. Kinda nice from curiosity to know how much I ran, and the stoppage time feature (which I typically only use when there is an injury with the coach coming on) is kinda nice, though I mostly keep a running tally of any time I'm going to add in my head anyway.

I remember being told by an advocate of natural childbirth that "women had managed fine for thousands of years without being hospitalised."

Well, some women managed fine and others didn't. Infant and maternal mortality rates were much higher. There was no pain relief. Caesarean invariably resulted in the death of the mother.

Just because it's possible to referee without a modern watch doesn't mean it isn't better to have one. In my particular case I always forget to restart a paused stopwatch unless it vibrates at me every few seconds while it's stopped. It keeps a record of all my games with no effort. I can get teamsheets sent to it directly. Very soon my watch will update the score (and details of cautions/dismisals) on the livestream of the match from a Veo camera.

Top level referees "managed fine" without comms, without buzzers, without goal line technology for decades. But they wouldn't want to give them up now.

To me there are two things I particularly like about the "fancy" watch (which for me is the Garmin with the Referee Watch app). First, the vibrate feature. It means I know when the watch says time is up, but it isn't beeping so that players hear it. Second, I like that I can have all the times--halves, half time, extra time, all set up so I don't have to do anything during the game. For me, everything after that is a bit of gravy and mildly useful. Kinda nice from curiosity to know how much I ran, and the stoppage time feature (which I typically only use when there is an injury with the coach coming on) is kinda nice, though I mostly keep a running tally of any time I'm going to add in my head anyway.

Would an analogue face when starting at 3pm, now showing 345, not tell you time is up?

I remember being told by an advocate of natural childbirth that "women had managed fine for thousands of years without being hospitalised."

Well, some women managed fine and others didn't. Infant and maternal mortality rates were much higher. There was no pain relief. Caesarean invariably resulted in the death of the mother.

Just because it's possible to referee without a modern watch doesn't mean it isn't better to have one. In my particular case I always forget to restart a paused stopwatch unless it vibrates at me every few seconds while it's stopped. It keeps a record of all my games with no effort. I can get teamsheets sent to it directly. Very soon my watch will update the score (and details of cautions/dismisals) on the livestream of the match from a Veo camera.

Top level referees "managed fine" without comms, without buzzers, without goal line technology for decades. But they wouldn't want to give them up now.

A top ref would be able to be a top ref without the tech.

Would an analogue face when starting at 3pm, now showing 345, not tell you time is up?
You're being deliberately obstinate. No, it doesn't tell you. You have to look at it. If you don't understand the advantage of that, there's really nothing I can say to help you.

I wear a tenner casio from Argos on one wrist and then apple watch with refsix on the other that I record everything on.

Save the paper and trees and all that

Can you run multiple timers on Casio because I'm usually refereeing where Sin-bins are in place. Is there another way people get around this without setting an additional timer?

First sin bin is in place, any dissent after that is AA caution (I know, I know, I'm joking!)

Back