A&H

Wait a minute... Who feels bad for referees?!

Ryan Owens

Token Colonial
Level 3 Referee
http://www.squawka.com/news/craig-bellamy-admits-he-feels-for-referees/181164

Craig Bellamy: I do feel for referees

Former Welsh footballer Craig Bellamy has admitted that he sympathises with modern day referees, who are put under a huge amount of pressure to perform yet are rarely allowed a light hearted moment on the pitch.

The fiery midfielder, who played for a host of clubs, including Liverpool, Manchester City and home town club Cardiff City, was often a divisive figure throughout his career.

The 35-year-old was often embroiled with bitter disputes with his rivals and was even accused of hitting defender John Arne Riise with a golf club during his stint on Merseyside.

However, Bellamy believes he is often misunderstood and was keen to share a joke with those around him despite his reputation.

Speaking on BT Sport the Welshman recalled an incident when he soaked referee Lee Probert with water on the pitch and was shocked to hear that the official was worried what his bosses would think of the harmless episode.

“He [Probert] said ‘If the cameras have got this and if the assessor sees this, I could be in trouble’. And I was like ‘oh, you gotta be kidding me’. So he was more worried about how it would look.

“So when we were going out in the second half, he was like ‘Bellers, just make sure you put your arm around me, make sure we’re having fun, because something could get made out of this and it could make my job a little bit harder’. Because I do feel for refs.”

Indeed it is difficult not to feel sorry for officials at times, who are widely criticised for incorrect decisions although a choice must be made in a matter of seconds.

Referees have a thankless job due to heckling and abuse from the terraces but should at least be given a chance to display their personalties rather than officiate in a robotic fashion.

Meanwhile, Bellamy was also recently linked with the Welsh club’s managerial vacancy which is now available following Vincent Tan’s decision to sack Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

So two things here: first of all, I can recall when this happened and some of you made a bit of a big deal about it. Again, I wonder why and hope that we can learn from this, not as referees, but as a footballing community as a whole: if we can accept banter (even the obvious banter), then we can probably create better relationships with the players which, in turn, will create less dissent. Second thing: Bellers might be the bluebirds' new manager?! Oh Lord have mercy.

PS: interesting tidbit: Bellamy failed to win a single aerial challenge in the premier league last year.

The Referee Store
Craig Bellamy shares a light-hearted moment with the ref...
_66915508_bellamy.jpg

I've always firmly believed that when a player behaves in this way, we have failed to do something correctly -- whether that is to apply dissent laws appropriately or to properly explain ourselves to bring the player around.

Lol - have you never heard of Bellamy before? The boy could pick a fight in a phone box. :)

I've heard of Bellers hence the title of the thread, but so have the Prem refs and you'd think they'd have figured out ways to deal with him (incl. ignoring which is what most of them do).

I've always firmly believed that when a player behaves in this way, we have failed to do something correctly -- whether that is to apply dissent laws appropriately or to properly explain ourselves to bring the player around.

I've heard of Bellers hence the title of the thread, but so have the Prem refs and you'd think they'd have figured out ways to deal with him (incl. ignoring which is what most of them do).

So did the Prem refs get it wrong by not cautioning more or by not explaining enough..?

Back