A&H

Violent conduct in younger age groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakegre1

Hi everyone,
New to refereeing and would like to know your producure dealing with violent conduct in the younger age groups. E.g. U11, U12. I know it's probably quite unlikely, but if it did, I genuinely would not know what to do.

The Referee Store
But on a more serious note... (reminding myself this is the new refs section) ... if it happens you need to isolate the offender, that means take him away from opponenets and tea mates. Take their full name. Explain they are being dismissed for violent conduct and show the player a red card... u did know that Violent Conduct is a red card offence didnt you?

By 12-13 they know what yellow and red cards are. They might lose it and lash out or kick someone. And they might break down after that with or without a card. But red cards are totally fine and expected IMHO once you are at U12 and especially if it's 11 vs 11.

I had one, well, close one... U12s in my second season... momentary raised hands, yes he swung out, yes made contact... could I have given a red card yes. But context... the fouled player was not expecting... it was over in milliseconds... benches were not crazy... game was calm... I went YC. In another context, yes, could have been red.

I think it also makes a lot of sense to think about doing a dismissal close to the technical area. Everyone can hear what is said, the player can immediately get emotional support if needed.

But on a more serious note... (reminding myself this is the new refs section) ... if it happens you need to isolate the offender, that means take him away from opponenets and tea mates. Take their full name. Explain they are being dismissed for violent conduct and show the player a red card... u did know that Violent Conduct is a red card offence didnt you?
Yes, of course. I was just wondering if It was to early to be handing red cards for 11 and 12 year olds

Yes

Yes, I had a look at that earlier on. I just wanted to see how others deal with it, as at that age group, I've always seen it as more of an educational period rather than a competitive one.
You can maybe manage/educate for slight misdemeanours e.g. leaving FOP w/o permission but VC must be dealt with as firmly as possible at all ages.
Remember its about as much as protecting the opposition more than anything else.

Hi everyone,
New to refereeing and would like to know your producure dealing with violent conduct in the younger age groups. E.g. U11, U12. I know it's probably quite unlikely, but if it did, I genuinely would not know what to do.
Very rare in my experience, especially with an experienced ref
The art with refereeing those age groups, is subtle handling of the parents

If they are old enough to have a referee for their game, VIOLENT conduct is a red card at any age group. The offender and any anyone else watching must know and learn that it is not part of the game allbeit through a harsh lesson.
The way you manage a red card to a, say, 9 year old may be different. @JamesL had a good description of the process above.

Yes

Yes, I had a look at that earlier on. I just wanted to see how others deal with it, as at that age group, I've always seen it as more of an educational period rather than a competitive one.

How others deal with it? You follow the book and do as it says there, that's how you deal with it, not how Clive in Devon thinks he can handle it differently

As others say, trivial learning points are fine, you might indeed reap praise from a sensible approach

VC is VC, globally and should be treated as such
Do you modify offside for U12? (if it applies in your area), No. Then why consider the serious offence of vc as anything other than vc

How others deal with it? You follow the book and do as it says there, that's how you deal with it, not how Clive in Devon thinks he can handle it differently

As others say, trivial learning points are fine, you might indeed reap praise from a sensible approach

VC is VC, globally and should be treated as such
Do you modify offside for U12? (if it applies in your area), No. Then why consider the serious offence of vc as anything other than vc

You leave Devon out of this :D.

Had VC in one of my first U13 matches, was given the red as he would at any age

V/C usually results with a very unhappy and possibly hurt opponent too

You simply are duty bound to take the correct action.

To not dismiss someone clearly guilty of VC is to neglect your responsibility as a match official.

Reactions: Kes
I find real violent conduct is pretty rare at younger ages but when it happens there is only one course of action - red card.

My first VC RC was to a U13. My youngest was to a U11 in a state championship tourney. Then U13 after the play was gone turned to other player, took a step and 2 hand shoved him in the chest launching him off his feet. No chippy challenge had preceded it.

The U11 was the most shocking. 0-5 game. Only couple of minutes left. Losing team mounted no attack all game. Big kid from losing team playing striker. Ball to left side of PA, sole attacker trying to win it. Plenty of defenders in support and ball cleared away to far side of field (and about 20 yards up field) without any issue. I see out of the corner of my eye, the big kid turn 180 degrees away from the ball and deliberately crack the kid next to him across both shins with significant force. Play had moved so far away that I was the only one who saw it.

RC all day long for both of these. Score, age, time left doesnt matter. Both of these are VC that must be dealt with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back