A&H

Vardy's dive

CapnBloodbeard

RefChat Addict
This is interesting....first off, IMO there was definitely enough contact to bring him down. But Vardy initiated the contact, not the defender. The defender was running in a straight line, an arm's length away. Vardy then stepped off his line - and IMO, purely to put his back into the opponent to make it look like he had been charged. Unusual to see a card for diving when there is contact, but I think his actions are definitely simulating a foul.

http://lockerdome.com/trollfootball/6169471278657601/8657504930545427

Not the best, but it's something. What do you think?

Ballsy decision either way.

Reactions: SM
The Referee Store
If you look at one of the angles you see Vardy go across and then start to go down (dramatically at that) before contact is made. I thought it was a good decision.

100% simulation - great call moss.

The Leicester penalty at the end though? Not for me.

The penalty call for Leicester from the free kick a few minutes earlier? That for me was a more a penalty.

I like what Henry just said....that happens on half way line and no one bats an eyelid. But it happens in 18 yard box in 94th minute it's not a foul.

I thought he was absolutely spot on

Great decision for Vardy's theatrical tumble. I think Moss would point to Carroll's use of the elbow rather than the shoulder. Carroll has done something very daft there and I think Moss can penalise. It looks harsh but Carroll really only himself to blame there.

Anyway it's all the commentator's fault. The curse struck after the voice over said something along the lines of "Moss is having a great game, calming everything down, no need for the theatrics"... and then he became public enemy no.1. The City fans could really have shown more class than that.

I just look at it again and the Carroll pen is not a foul IMHO. The attacker bounces off Carroll, who barely even leans into him IMHO. Unfortunately Moss will get an earful. F365 already leading with the ref as the story. Pity.

All this has done has shown the ignorance of certain pundits. The fact that there was contact doesn't mean it was a penalty, Vardy created the contact (as he has done on numerous occasions this season) and was guilty of simulation as a result.

Good decision as far as I'm concerned.

Did anyone think that Moss missed a great opportunity to pull the players out for pushing and shoving prior to the corner that lead to the first penalty? I thought it looked not great by the fact he ignored the pushing and shoving and allowed the corner to be taken, and then gave a penalty for a pull (albeit a different offender, Huth pre-corner and Morgan after.)

Morgan and Huth had been warned, not that referees should have to/need to warn players first. Looked soft on slow motions, but was still a fairly blatant foul. If only top flight referees had the balls to give them on a regular basis, the constant rugby tactics at every set piece might disappear. Instead because they are given so rarely, all we hear is "we were unlucky, referees are not supposed to give them blah blah blah!"

The headlock on Huth, who himself is serial offender, looked stonewall as well. I really do wonder sometimes about these "pundits". Henry played at the highest level and should know the game like the back of his hand and yet he still comes out with ridiculous statements like "referee couldn't give that penalty because he didn't warn them first!" :eek:

What was Vardy thinking? Was already on a yellow for the earlier foul, was in a fairly decent position and has scored from tougher positions throughout the season. Looked like he could quite easily have cut across the defender for a one on one with the keeper instead of throwing himself to the deck! :confused:

Thought Reid was lucky to escape a 2nd yellow for a fairly cynical trip.

Reactions: SM
This is interesting....first off, IMO there was definitely enough contact to bring him down. But Vardy initiated the contact, not the defender. The defender was running in a straight line, an arm's length away. Vardy then stepped off his line - and IMO, purely to put his back into the opponent to make it look like he had been charged. Unusual to see a card for diving when there is contact, but I think his actions are definitely simulating a foul.

http://lockerdome.com/trollfootball/6169471278657601/8657504930545427

Not the best, but it's something. What do you think?

Ballsy decision either way.
i like this angle, you can see Moss getting right into position to get a view of what is going to happen, he gets there just in time to see Vardy 'create' the foul. the defender was never looking to make a challenge so i thought it was a great call. top marks there !
Carroll's one was spot on too i thought, unlike the earlier incident, he was looking to exert force to get the player off the ball
The Huth situation was odd in the fact that the difference between that and the Winston Reid incident was this; one was from a corner, and the other wasnt... at that corner (and previous ones) JM calls out players and warns them for arms, or whatever, as you can clearly see Andy Carroll moaning.
once he's issued the warning then he is obliged to award the FK or pen... he wouldnt have called anyone out for the FK situation.
doesnt mean it isnt a foul / pen, but just a little point in his defence maybe?

i like this angle, you can see Moss getting right into position to get a view of what is going to happen, he gets there just in time to see Vardy 'create' the foul. the defender was never looking to make a challenge so i thought it was a great call. top marks there !
Carroll's one was spot on too i thought, unlike the earlier incident, he was looking to exert force to get the player off the ball
The Huth situation was odd in the fact that the difference between that and the Winston Reid incident was this; one was from a corner, and the other wasnt... at that corner (and previous ones) JM calls out players and warns them for arms, or whatever, as you can clearly see Andy Carroll moaning.
once he's issued the warning then he is obliged to award the FK or pen... he wouldnt have called anyone out for the FK situation.
doesnt mean it isnt a foul / pen, but just a little point in his defence maybe?
Yep, I think you've got the right way of looking at it here - once he gives the warning, he's almost obliged to then give the penalty, he's left himself no choice when the wrestling carries on. When the next incident happens, he hasn't given the warning, meaning he's got the ability to exert "judgement" regarding if it's worth a penalty or not. And given the context of the match, it's not surprising that he's avoided the tough penalty call.

Yep, I think you've got the right way of looking at it here - once he gives the warning, he's almost obliged to then give the penalty, he's left himself no choice when the wrestling carries on. When the next incident happens, he hasn't given the warning, meaning he's got the ability to exert "judgement" regarding if it's worth a penalty or not. And given the context of the match, it's not surprising that he's avoided the tough penalty call.

Hmmm, think that's pushing the case for the defence a bit too far.

Once he has used a public warning for holding, surely that warning is in place for the rest of the game - not just the next set piece?
Especially when the holdling on Huth was "worse" than the incident against Morgan - which I agree was correct to give (in the context of having just issued a warning)

I think Moss made a great call on the caution for Vardy but i think he made a mistake with the first one, the West ham player tripped over him imo however Vardy could have been cautioned for an earlier one. Also If Moss is giving a penalty for the Morgan foul he has to give the one on Huth (who himself was lucky to concede one) and the earlier one on Vardy. Tough game for Moss but overall i think he did well

Back