A&H

VAR

OIREF!

RefChat Addict
Had an interesting conversation about VAR with some mates at the weekend. One question that came up is who is responsible for the integrity of the TV coverage? For example, what controls are there to prevent a biased/bribed/incompetent camera operator from 'accidentally' deleting footage?

The Referee Store
All the camera feeds go directly to the VAR. the camera operator would have to screw up the camera before the event in question happened.

It's not the TV company that are in charge of the footage, in the UK at least.
The replay operator sits next to the VARs using feeds that are independent of the TV footage. The TV director can choose to show what the VARs are seeing to the TV audience if they wish

It's not the TV company that are in charge of the footage, in the UK at least.
The replay operator sits next to the VARs using feeds that are independent of the TV footage. The TV director can choose to show what the VARs are seeing to the TV audience if they wish

That's not quite true.

There is a Host Broadcaster but that will be Sky/BT - not sure what you mean by the 'TV Company' - it won't be the BBC - if that's what you mean.

There will be a 'World Feed Director' - he would be responsible for the world feed pictures. Sky/BT would have two directors match & pres - when they are doing a live match. BBC won't have any director as they are just taking feeds in and editing for MOTD.

I'm guessing that World Feed director/Host Broadcaster would be responsible for getting feed to Stockley Park for VAR.

I could probably find out exactly how it works, if anyone is interested!

That's not quite true.

There is a Host Broadcaster but that will be Sky/BT - not sure what you mean by the 'TV Company' - it won't be the BBC - if that's what you mean.

There will be a 'World Feed Director' - he would be responsible for the world feed pictures. Sky/BT would have two directors match & pres - when they are doing a live match. BBC won't have any director as they are just taking feeds in and editing for MOTD.

I'm guessing that World Feed director/Host Broadcaster would be responsible for getting feed to Stockley Park for VAR.

I could probably find out exactly how it works, if anyone is interested!

All Premier League games, whether shown on Sky, BT, or worldwide TV companies, are filmed by Premier League Productions. I'm pretty sure they also film the FA Cup, League Cup, WSL, National League, etc. Certainly when I've done televised FA Cup and WSL games the floor managers have been the same as those that I see on TV stood between the dug outs.

I'm less clear though how the footage being sent to Stockley Park is provided.

All Premier League games, whether shown on Sky, BT, or worldwide TV companies, are filmed by Premier League Productions. I'm pretty sure they also film the FA Cup, League Cup, WSL, National League, etc. Certainly when I've done televised FA Cup and WSL games the floor managers have been the same as those that I see on TV stood between the dug outs.

I'm less clear though how the footage being sent to Stockley Park is provided.

Cheers Rusty - PL Productions - would be interested to know if they employ dedicated /own the equipment or just rent from BT/Sky.

That's how it works for the big tournaments - a company is set up to host broadcast and they hire in the people from the world's major broadcasters

Cheers Rusty - PL Productions - would be interested to know if they employ dedicated /own the equipment or just rent from BT/Sky.

That's how it works for the big tournaments - a company is set up to host broadcast and they hire in the people from the world's major broadcasters

Some details here, looks like they actually do the broadcasts, presumably under contract from Sky and BT. It makes sense, economies of scale mean it is pointless Sky, BT, BBC, ITV, etc all having staff and equipment that is sitting dormant much of the time when they can get someone else to do it at a cost. A bit like an IT outsource really.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/feature...-know-nothing-about-servicing-730m-fans-every

That article says their HQ is in Uxbridge, so VAR is actually there which means it is definitely the broadcaster beaming it back.

Had an interesting conversation about VAR with some mates at the weekend. One question that came up is who is responsible for the integrity of the TV coverage? For example, what controls are there to prevent a biased/bribed/incompetent camera operator from 'accidentally' deleting footage?
That's exactly what was accused in the A-League grand final last year when VAR 'stopped recording' during an offside goal (the only goal in the game)

Back