A&H

VAR thread #458

The Referee Store
Madness. What will actually happen to make this better? It is just infuriating now.

Tonight as well..
Palace v Arsenal..... Palace should have been down to 9 men first half.

Benteke punched El Neny in the neck/chin - got away with that.
High lunge on Chambers which was very fortunate not to break his leg just got a yellow.

Yep. This one is a shocker...

I am also confused why the Wolves handball penalty wasn’t given (not as obvious and clear as this one though!!)... But, I am very biased on this one... but I am getting so confused with the handball rule now...

He wasn't getting to the ball before it goes out. That shouldn't matter but EPL have their own laws.

Now as an opponent of VAR what I'm about to write may sound contradictory, but stick with it;)

Why is this decision a VAR 'problem' per se? - PGMOL official on FOP thinks no pen, PGMOL official at Stockley Park thinks no pen - agree its a pen, but as I've said VAR isn't going to stop decisions being made we don't agree with.

It happened before VAR and it still happens to everyone outside the PL - THAT's the problem, the perception that VAR = no 'wrong' decisions.

It doesn't, so in my view get rid.

Now as an opponent of VAR what I'm about to write may sound contradictory, but stick with it;)

Why is this decision a VAR 'problem' per se? - PGMOL official on FOP thinks no pen, PGMOL official at Stockley Park thinks no pen - agree its a pen, but as I've said VAR isn't going to stop decisions being made we don't agree with.

It happened before VAR and it still happens to everyone outside the PL - THAT's the problem, the perception that VAR = no 'wrong' decisions.

It doesn't, so in my view get rid.

I accept the premise of your comment but I'm this example how on earth does VAR look at it and go no foul?!

I don't think anyone expects no wrong decisions, but I think we expect absolute howlers to be caught at the very least!

One way of sorting this would be making the conversations audible but I think I'm more likely to get a champions league final ticket than hear that!

I accept the premise of your comment but I'm this example how on earth does VAR look at it and go no foul?!

I don't think anyone expects no wrong decisions, but I think we expect absolute howlers to be caught at the very least!

One way of sorting this would be making the conversations audible but I think I'm more likely to get a champions league final ticket than hear that!
I also get your thought process, but just thinking, that apart from the 'unsighted' ones, its not really that great a shock that 1 PGMOL official, thinks like another is it?

That MUST be one of their main aims - to achieve consistency across all games in the PL?

I also get your thought process, but just thinking, that apart from the 'unsighted' ones, its not really that great a shock that 1 PGMOL official, thinks like another is it?

That MUST be one of their main aims - to achieve consistency across all games in the PL?

You're right, I think that's the ultimate aim but consistency across all refs/games is an absolute pipe dream. Football isn't black and white, there's so many shades of grey!

Fouls, offside, handballs etc can't be distilled to a specific set of requirements but ifab don't seem to get that

On your other thought - access to the audio - I'm not sure that wouldn't open up another can of worms - on here and in the world at large.

This one COULD have gone something like

"Yeah, there's contact, but he's not getting there is he Stuart?"

"Hang on, I'll just check. Nope, ball practically out of play when contact happens - play on!"

Pure speculation, obviously, but you get my drift?!

On your other thought - access to the audio - I'm not sure that wouldn't open up another can of worms - on here and in the world at large.

This one COULD have gone something like

"Yeah, there's contact, but he's not getting there is he Stuart?"

"Hang on, I'll just check. Nope, ball practically out of play when contact happens - play on!"

Pure speculation, obviously, but you get my drift?!

If that's what they said and that's how they came to the decision then ok, I could accept that, but in this instance surely irrelevant? Keeper takes striker out carelessly with ball in play! Pen!

If that's what they said and that's how they came to the decision then ok, I could accept that, but in this instance surely irrelevant? Keeper takes striker out carelessly with ball in play! Pen!
There you are! You're correct, in law, of course, but we all know we operate within the framework of the law and not the letter - numerous threads/examples of that on here.

Obvious examples that continue to difficult 'sells' - GKs holding ball for 20 seconds, clear dissent and offinabus ignored, encroachment at penalties.

As we know there are subtle considerations around challenges and cards that I'm not sure hearing referees discuss would help their cause.

Reactions: es1
Makes no odds whether the player is getting the ball. He was fouled (wiped out) with the ball in play
Yes I know that, but as you've alluded to, that doesn't mean that the referees in question think like that.

Makes no odds if the GK takes 7 or 20 seconds to release the ball, but we've both heard a PGMOL referee say that he will always ignore that law for fear of demotion!

Yes I know that, but as you've alluded to, that doesn't mean that the referees in question think like that.

Makes no odds if the GK takes 7 or 20 seconds to release the ball, but we've both heard a PGMOL referee say that he will always ignore that law for fear of demotion!
Yes, one or two members have spelt out the meaning of careless/reckless/dangerous to me over recent weeks, but it's not you and I that needs reminding. Winning the ball is King where PK decisions are concerned in the EPL; seemingly followed by whether the attacker can reach the ball whilst it remains in play. It might be controversial, but I continue to despair at the overall standard of Refereeing towards the top echelons. I'd expect fewer KMI calamities from a L2 or 3 than these Pro's are serving up. I can't make sense of it

Back