A&H

VAR in Russia with Love

I'm actually quite impressed that referee's accuracy rates are that high anyway. You would never think so with how much people complain about them. :(

The Referee Store
I'm actually quite impressed that referee's accuracy rates are that high anyway. You would never think so with how much people complain about them. :(
But again, every throw in, goal kick and easy foul in the centre of the pitch is technically a "correct" decision that counts towards that 93%.

What I'm interested in is what % of KMI's are actually correct - that's the most important stat regardless, and it's also the most important thing for VAR's to get right if they want to prove they're worth the delay.

I just read the actual stats quote from FIFA (Gianni Infantino)
"The facts are that from almost 1,000 matches which were tested, the accuracy rate of the referees went up from 93 per cent to 99 per cent."

Sounds good right? So lets analyse this for a second. It says out of every 100 KMD reviews, 93 of them the referee was right (no need for a review to start with). Out of the other 7, VAR was wrong once (either changing a correct decision to incorrect or not detecting an incorrect decision). So here is my representation of the numbers.

For every 6 decisions VAR changes correctly, one decision they don't change correctly so it has an effective accuracy of 85%

Nowhere near as accurate as they make it out to be. In fact 85% accuracy is more in line with what we have been seeing.

Also that number will drop if the someone independent were to determine if a change was correct.
Not to mention incidents where VAR should get involved but doesn't

Back