A&H

VAR - audio footage

The Referee Store
The conversation is good to hear but its a bit confusing. If the defender has played at it (assuming they mean deliberate play), then its irrelevant if he was onside from the first pass or not. So there is no need to discuss or look at the cross or as they say 'first pass'.

The conversation is good to hear but its a bit confusing. If the defender has played at it (assuming they mean deliberate play), then its irrelevant if he was onside from the first pass or not. So there is no need to discuss or look at the cross or as they say 'first pass'.

I think they’re just checking that no one was offside from the first pass, as if they were, it wouldn’t have mattered had the defender played the ball deliberately

Whilst I understand the sentiments of ref going to watch it anyway to sell it, am so so on the need to do so, should not need to create an illusion to justify a correct call.

I think they’re just checking that no one was offside from the first pass, as if they were, it wouldn’t have mattered had the defender played the ball deliberately
So are you saying if the attacker was in an offside position at the time of the first pass (the cross) they would have disallowed the goal?

I don't like the fact he felt the need to go and have a look - between the AR and the chat with the VAR, they've already decided that it's a goal, but they waste another age going across, watching a clip to confirm what they already know and then having a chat to justify it to the defending captain. The laws say that the ref's decision is final - why bother writing that if the ref's clearly don't even believe it!

However it is worth crediting them for the conversation that got them to the decision in the first place. It's a potentially tricky decision and between the ref and the AR they read it perfectly.

Agreeing that there was absolutely no need to go over and look. I don't like the term 'sell it' as we're not salesmen
Not sure why Joe Pasquale was involved in the conversation

So are you saying if the attacker was in an offside position at the time of the first pass (the cross) they would have disallowed the goal?

Perhaps just trying to rule out he wasn’t interfering with the opponent etc

I don't see an issue with the OFR (On Field Review) to sell the decision. Especially when the protocol allows is and somewhat encourages it and the referees train for it.

1552737585301.png

1552737611751.png

I don't have a problem with that. The defending team clearly think something is wrong, but look how calmly the captain accepts it after the referee has gone to have a look.

As an aside, that's the referee that is moving to England isn't it?

I don't have a problem with that. The defending team clearly think something is wrong, but look how calmly the captain accepts it after the referee has gone to have a look.

As an aside, that's the referee that is moving to England isn't it?
Yep - Jarred Gillett

He's refereed that last 4 A-League grand finals. Easily the best and most consistent in the last few years here. I think he would do well over there but its a different level of football and only time will tell.

Agreeing that there was absolutely no need to go over and look. I don't like the term 'sell it' as we're not salesmen
Not sure why Joe Pasquale was involved in the conversation
Agreed, but this is exactly how Gillett referees. He's good at selling himself to assessors (who are largely incompetent), but that doesn't necessarily translate to doing the right thing. I can understand where he's coming from, but holding the game up for a few minutes for no actual purpose is the wrong approach and just perpetuates the wrong notion. I mean, nobody was even arguing for the offside. Complete misuse of the on-field review.

Is he any good??? Championship or Prem standard??
He knows how to look good - which can also mean he's susceptible to giving the 50-50 calls, even 60-40 ones in favour of big teams. If he doesn't like a player he makes sure everyone there knows it and the other team can do whatever they like to him. So he'll probably do well :p

You guys have far, far better referee coaches, managers and assessors than we do though. So i expect he'll improve.

Last edited:
Back