A&H

VAR and Full time referees in Scotland

lincs22

Supply League Observer
Staff member
Observer/Tutor
Interest article about whether VAR or full time referees would benefit Scottish football more.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46632165

But I think the best comment is
TV companies should be made to finance VAR. Not often I agree with Milne, but no point making the current refs full time as they're sub standard, bordering on cheats. I'd bring back foreign refs, free from any allegiance to certain Scottish clubs and less likely to be bothered by threats from those with a sense of entitlement...

Foreign Refs in Scotland? So, they are recommending no point in developing Scottish referees as we will simply import other referees.... Almost sounds like a Middle East country getting a EPL / FIFA referee to manage their own development.

The Referee Store
Knowing how much time and commitment referees already put in I'm not sure what is to be gained from going full time.

Knowing how much time and commitment referees already put in I'm not sure what is to be gained from going full time.

It frees them from other work obligations. Top flight (Premier league) referees have all said it makes a world of difference when you don't have to juggle fitness, refereeing *and* a job on top of it.

I think someone on here already mentioned that the level 4-5 ranks in England is where the 'crunch' happens for those who are time-poor. I cannot imagine how much of a hassle it is if you're at the top tier and still working 9-5 (or shifts) elsewhere.

So, yeah, having job security, full time training opportunities for both fitness and for technical matters would all raise the standards of refereeing.

If only we had some decent Scottish referees on here!! :) Maybe they would be OK in a darkened room watching Scottish naughtiness at its worst!!
They're never short of a seasoned opinion on the games on here normally!! :(

I only made it to L3, but I also had to juggle that with a fairly demanding job in the City. My bosses were flexible as to when I left the office, but I still had to work the hours and do the work so, especially once I got to Conference Premier, it was very difficult to juggle things. I'd often have to leave at 2pm to go and get the car to drive to the ground, which means I was getting into work for around 7am. Anyone is going to find it hard to put in a top class performance starting at 19:45 when they've been up since 5.30am, especially if it has been a hard and demanding day at work. I certainly found that on the rare occasions I did midweek games when off work I was much more refreshed and on my game.

Then there's the lack of sleep, sometimes wouldn't be back from midweek games until well after midnight, then back up for work early in the morning. That is why you don't tend to find many top level referees from professional, city based, backgrounds. Probably also one of the reasons why there are no SG1, SG2 or L1 referees from London, and no SG1 from the home counties. A huge percentage of people can't drive to work, so either have to go via train straight from work to the ground and hope they can get home after, or leave early to go and get the car.

I certainly couldn't even begin to comprehend being a top level referee, be that in Scotland or England, whilst also holding down a full time main job. You just cannot be at your best after a full day at work.

They could just meet in a Bar on Sauchihall Street and just watch the Rangers and Celtic games, TBF nobody out of Glasgow cares about the rest of the league teams anyway!!

I only made it to L3, but I also had to juggle that with a fairly demanding job in the City. My bosses were flexible as to when I left the office, but I still had to work the hours and do the work so, especially once I got to Conference Premier, it was very difficult to juggle things. I'd often have to leave at 2pm to go and get the car to drive to the ground, which means I was getting into work for around 7am. Anyone is going to find it hard to put in a top class performance starting at 19:45 when they've been up since 5.30am, especially if it has been a hard and demanding day at work. I certainly found that on the rare occasions I did midweek games when off work I was much more refreshed and on my game.

Then there's the lack of sleep, sometimes wouldn't be back from midweek games until well after midnight, then back up for work early in the morning. That is why you don't tend to find many top level referees from professional, city based, backgrounds. Probably also one of the reasons why there are no SG1, SG2 or L1 referees from London, and no SG1 from the home counties. A huge percentage of people can't drive to work, so either have to go via train straight from work to the ground and hope they can get home after, or leave early to go and get the car.

I certainly couldn't even begin to comprehend being a top level referee, be that in Scotland or England, whilst also holding down a full time main job. You just cannot be at your best after a full day at work.

The other consideration is that if you are in a professional career in the London commuter belt, chances are you couldn't afford to go full time anyway. Most of those in a professional career in these areas would earn more than an SG2 full time referee does so it becomes a major lifestyle choice to progress that far up the ladder.

you can be as full time and paid as much as you wish and see every clip you want in advance and be as fit as a fiddle

if someone cuts across your angle/line of sight, your screwed just the same.....

I read a good point also, all the training in the world for what? To help you see?? cos in reality, your decision making and interpretation is not going to change whether you are full time, part time or a pub Sunday league game once a week, your going to see a foul, or your not !!

The other consideration is that if you are in a professional career in the London commuter belt, chances are you couldn't afford to go full time anyway. Most of those in a professional career in these areas would earn more than an SG2 full time referee does so it becomes a major lifestyle choice to progress that far up the ladder.

Good point, you'd struggle to pay the mortgage on a £500k flat on an SG2 salary. Per game fees would help, but you could get injured, dropped, etc, o that is far from guaranteed income.

you can be as full time and paid as much as you wish and see every clip you want in advance and be as fit as a fiddle

if someone cuts across your angle/line of sight, your screwed just the same.....

I read a good point also, all the training in the world for what? To help you see?? cos in reality, your decision making and interpretation is not going to change whether you are full time, part time or a pub Sunday league game once a week, your going to see a foul, or your not !!

Physical and mental fatigue undoubtedly plays a part, that can't be argued. Full time referees can only help prevent that, but yes there will still be unfortunate events that stop the correct decision being reached whether the referee is straight off the back of an 8 hour work shift or fresh as a daisy.

Back