A&H

VAR again

es1

RefChat Addict
City v schalke

Doing my best to be impartial...

2 mins checking the city goal was redicilous, get the game going

1st pen...5 mins...Was it really clear and obvious? I don't think so

1nd pen...he's milked the contact but can't disagree it's a foul. He is offside though from the original free kick

Thoughts from an impartial observer appreciated as I'm fuming

A total of 5 mins added time is very low as well

The Referee Store
Not impartial but the neutral lads I’m watching with all commenting on how long it’s taking to check supposedly trivial things.

On the first penalty, I think the process is messy. Calls the captains in for some reason (makes keeper come all the way from the other end) and makes a non-official gesture. How can he decide whether a handball is deliberate if he doesn’t go and look at it? Basing just off what someone is describing? It’s not deliberate in a million years but sadly it’s what is now an easy handball.

Infuriating

I couldn't believe he didn't look at it himself, speaking to the captains was pointless. If you're going to give it just give it.

Also, if it's a pen why isn't it a red card? Dosgo h is surely the only possible outcome if he gives the pen

I think under current FIFA and UEFA interpretations that is handball and I expected it to be given. But the VAR situation was a total mess. The referee looked like a very frightened rabbit in headlights and didn't manage the players at all well. Then to call the captains in was bizarre, especially at the time he still seemed to be getting advice over the comms. Probably VAR more at fault than the referee though, they are FIFA referees and know what is expected on handball, that decision could and should have been given in no more than 30 seconds.

Was it an obvious error, if it was me refereeing then no, but from what they class as handling these days then yes it was. Would have been given as handball by VAR in the PL next season? I suspect not, but Europe as different and with a Spanish officiating team, who seem to give more handballs than any other nation, I feared for City.

Second penalty was on the soft side but he did pull him back. Not really sure you can say he was offside as he hadn't even come close to playing the ball by then and hadn't prevented a defender from playing the ball, so the foul came before the offside.

Also, penalty or not, why was it a caution for Otamendi? Rather than having prevented a promising attack by handling he has created a more promising attack in the form of a penalty.

I think under current FIFA and UEFA interpretations that is handball and I expected it to be given. But the VAR situation was a total mess. The referee looked like a very frightened rabbit in headlights and didn't manage the players at all well. Then to call the captains in was bizarre, especially at the time he still seemed to be getting advice over the comms. Probably VAR more at fault than the referee though, they are FIFA referees and know what is expected on handball, that decision could and should have been given in no more than 30 seconds.

Was it an obvious error, if it was me refereeing then no, but from what they class as handling these days then yes it was. Would have been given as handball by VAR in the PL next season? I suspect not, but Europe as different and with a Spanish officiating team, who seem to give more handballs than any other nation, I feared for City.

Second penalty was on the soft side but he did pull him back. Not really sure you can say he was offside as he hadn't even come close to playing the ball by then and hadn't prevented a defender from playing the ball, so the foul came before the offside.

Don't give me answers I don't like! Haha

Fair comnents though, cheers.

I hate how something like that is considered handball. If that is, then so so many have to be as well.

Also, penalty or not, why was it a caution for Otamendi? Rather than having prevented a promising attack by handling he has created a more promising attack in the form of a penalty.
Because the SPA-Pen downgrade follows the same principle as DOGSO.

Reactions: one
Peter Walton said something I agree with. Look at Otamendi's fist, it was clenched, and when the ball hit his arm it didn't move much. Generally when the arm is tensed like that the likelihood of it being intentional is increased, whereas if contact is accidental the arm will be loose and will move a lot more when the ball hits it. I got taught that years ago and there is a lot of truth in it in my view.

If a player is standing with their arm a little bit away from their body, and someone shoots towards them like in this case, what should they do - a) leave it there, b) try to move it behind their back or c) move it higher?

Peter Walton said something I agree with. Look at Otamendi's fist, it was clenched, and when the ball hit his arm it didn't move much. Generally when the arm is tensed like that the likelihood of it being intentional is increased, whereas if contact is accidental the arm will be loose and will move a lot more when the ball hits it. I got taught that years ago and there is a lot of truth in it in my view.

If your stood 10 yards away from a shot that's just about to come at you at 100mph try not clenching your fist, it's a completely natural thing to do

Stopping a shot on goal by handling is SPA or DOGSO.

EDIT: That's from FIFA/UEFA instruction.

Back