A&H

Utd vs real

SM

The avuncular one
Oh dear. As much as I hate man utd that red card for nani looked incredibly harsh! Not that nani doesn't deserve to be sent off every game for being, well nani!

He was watching the ball all the way and did catch arbeloa but surely a caution?

The Referee Store
im mesmerised by the refs decision it should of been a yellow clearly before I did my course starting to learn I was out with friends and I gave a red for a high knee but learnt when doing the course if it dangerous but they have got the eye on the ball then it yellow but red that is harsh now united need 2 goals

Although that yellow for carrick has helped restore it. Well done referee

Oooo watching it again, nani did watch the ball but he did give an extra little kick out after he lost the challenge/ball. Still harsh but from some angles it does look bad :) Replays eh?

I still think it was only a caution, and I think that decision put a 'downer' on the game, and ruined the game, I hope something is done about it. I don't think he should've been appointed because he has sent off Terr (v Barcelona last year), Gerrard v Ukraine, Cahill in World Club Final, and Balotelli v Porto, so I think with his record, UEFA could've appointed a better referee. I don't think the score would've been the same if the red card hadn't been given.

but as we say we never go out with technical assistance if we make mistakes we make mistakes id still given a yellow

I think even at real time it was still only a yellow! I think the crowd and player reactions showed that no one expected a red! No one in the stadium expected a red - everyone assumed it was a yellow, even the commentator! I kind off blame UEFA for appointing him, because any referee doing that match should have tried to keep it 11 v 11, I know that's not always possible, but I think he likes his red cards too much - especially against English players as I said before!

He does seem to be a ref who never assures me things are correct, but uefa do seem to like him. Funny thing is, the only thing he did which was contentious was the red...

Surely I can't be the only one who thinks it's a red? Regardless of intention, Nani is CLEARLY endangering the safety of his opponent while leaping/lunging through the air leading with the sole of his boot well above standing waist height.

Part of the blessing of being a referee is being able to look at football objectively based on the laws of the game, rather than just stating clueless opinions which can be highly irrelevant. It was quite refreshing to see Roy Keane's open-mindedness towards it on TV, despite Adrian Chiles making an absolute mess of quoting the laws of the game for serious foul play and violent conduct.

In summary though for me, very brave decision from a very strong and distinguished referee.

it was very brave but id give yellow momentum took him in that challenge and he had eyes on the ball he did not see areboloa until it was to late

Red cad. Endangering the safety of his opponent. Sorted.

we all have opinions but to me it is harsh but yellow card he has no idea that arbeloa is coming and momentum takes him id a yellow and warn him about legs

red card all day long, endangers the safety of the opponent however I have to say on saturday/ sunday league football you could easily sell a yellow. Why should the ref taking a beating in terms of his marks as he didn't have the bottle to send Nani off. I also have to question with most other clubs would we even be questioning this?
Also when A. Taylor sent off 2 at west ham v everton I was of a similar opinion yet both were rescinded.

but as I keep saying he did not see arbeloa coming and if he did see him then red but as eye on ball then yellow

Also arbeloa sees nani coming as he is watching the player and the ball as he runs in. Interesting difference in opinions

dont know where it says "eyes on the ball" in lotg. dont you think in an age where player safety is no.1 that putting you feet, studs showing that high is a red card

This happens in your next game.

You give yellow.

You also give reds for Violent Conduct and OFFINABUS as the team-mates of the injured party pile in on the fouler and you. You may even bin the fouled player for one of these offences as he lloks to exact retribution for a challenge that could have broken a rib.

Back