A&H

Unpleasant Moment!

JBeil

Level 5 Referee
From last sunday's men's game - two players jump to head for the ball. One of them allegedly headbutts the other, and the other player reacts with a clear trip - quick on the whistle, and as I'm wondering if there's a yellow in it the originally aggreived player makes my mind up for me by trying to trip him as he sets up for the FK. I'm not great at spotting and judging fouls in the air, but as I explained to the player that he could have had two yellows he took his lumps and was very reasonable about it - wish I'd been able to see the initial incident to decide properly for myself though.

Then, two minutes from time in the first half, two players kick for a ball in the air in the box, scream, and poor defender's broken his leg. Poor sod was stuck there for an hour before the helicopter arrived. But for the grace, and all that!

The Referee Store
For aerial challenges try to not look up at the ball. Focus on the players, it will become obvious where the drop zone is hopefully that will help with foul identification.

Broken legs are horrible. Went nearly 10 years without one and had 2 in 2 seasons now

For aerial challenges try to not look up at the ball. Focus on the players, it will become obvious where the drop zone is hopefully that will help with foul identification.

Broken legs are horrible. Went nearly 10 years without one and had 2 in 2 seasons now
This is the feedback I got in my assessment at the start of the season - best advice ever!

Amazing how much you miss if you ball watch, and at our level, there are a lot of hoofs!!

Get an angle on aerial challenges

What you see looking down barrel of gun is very different to what you see side on

and as above,yes, the ball floating thro mid air is doing nothing that you need to see. Where it is going however is important. The folks about to try retrieve said ball will stop at nothing to be first to it

I have had 1 bad leg break and last weekend a suspected broken ankle, both of which came from 'nothing' situations, both of them on 4G pitches.

I have had 1 bad leg break and last weekend a suspected broken ankle, both of which came from 'nothing' situations, both of them on 4G pitches.
Wierdly both of mine were not as a result of bad challenges.

1 was a player attempting a tackle and just didn't stop when he planted his leg and it snapped in two

And the other the players foot got went in and under grass, dislocate his ankle and snapped his leg. You could see where his foot had slid and then got Jarred on the hole it had created on the pitch. Very difficult to explain.

I had a dislocated shoulder in my game on Sunday, guy had just jumped and landed funny just inside the penalty area.

This was about 22 minutes into the game, knowing how long an ambulance takes for non emergency I was getting prepared to abandon the match, just waiting for an update on the eta or for 30 minutes from injury to pass, surprisingly the ambulance was there and the guy was in it within about 20 minutes of the call to them, so we did end up finishing the game.

I know there's an ambulance station in that town where the game was so maybe the paramedics were just finishing a break, whatever the reason they turned up so quickly, I was impressed!

and as above,yes, the ball floating thro mid air is doing nothing that you need to see. Where it is going however is important. The folks about to try retrieve said ball will stop at nothing to be first to it
Folks who haven't heard this advice before, often think they need to watch the ball to know where it will land--you don't: watch the players and you will know exactly where the ball will land.

I'll add one other thought. I thought I had this licked, and had a friendly observer at half time tell me not to watch the ball in the air, as it never commits fouls. I was surprised, and paid attention in the second half--realizing that I didn't watch punts or goal kicks, but would track a ball that went in the air in active play. So then I kicked that habit. (IMO, that is the best part of being observed by anyone--they see things you don't notice about yourself.)

I'd say look first where the drop zone and where aerial challenge is going to be then look for the push in the back or the lad that is climbing over the player to head the ball

Back