A&H

United v West Ham Pogba Handball

spuddy1878

RefChat Addict
Just to clarify here.

If VAR would have said no handball against Pogba, what would the restart have been ?

Im thinking dropped to De Gea but im doubting it.

The Referee Store
Correct. It happened in a game the other day (I think it was a Man City one) where a penalty was awarded to City but VAR overturned and restart was a drop ball to the keeper.

Yes you're right, I was there! City v palace. Actually an infuriating rule as the attacking team loses both a penalty and an attacking situation

Yes you're right, I was there! City v palace. Actually an infuriating rule as the attacking team loses both a penalty and an attacking situation
Hmmm but you can bet every single attacking player would be appealing and essentially a asking for the game to be stopped, knowing it would be checked.
And the attack might be lost anyway because if its hit the player hand or not and they get the posession they could of had an opportunity to clear it anyway.

No you're right (I think!)
Wasn't the ball already outside the area when play was stopped, though? So it would be a dropped ball to a player of the team that last touched the ball before play was stopped (which was West Ham).

Wasn't the ball already outside the area when play was stopped, though? So it would be a dropped ball to a player of the team that last touched the ball before play was stopped (which was West Ham).
The dropped ball is from where the player last touched the ball, not from where the ball was though, isn't it?

• The ball is dropped for the defending team goalkeeper in their penalty area
if, when play was stopped:
• the ball was in the penalty area or
the last touch of the ball was in the penalty area

The dropped ball is from where the player last touched the ball, not from where the ball was though, isn't it?

Ignore me... Just watched it and play was stopped for "head injury" after the west ham player touched the ball so I think you are right. Had the check been negative then the restart should have been dropped ball to West ham.

i absolutely thought the ref had given the pen! only saw a brief highlight of the incident!

Great example of a referee hesitating with a KMI because he knows he has VAR to re-referee the incident

You absolutely do not know that is what happened.
You're absolutely right. But I absolutely think that I'm right ;)
Flippancy aside, we know that Match Officials are assessed and marked on everything, with heavy weighting on KMIs
It's my assertion, that the OFR's are performing worse with VAR as Big Brother
I don't blame the referees, I think it's an inevitable subconscious consequence of VAR

Last night's incident was very odd in many respects (strange enough to disturb my whiskers!)

Last edited:

That's why I said, "it would be a dropped ball to a player of the team that last touched the ball before play was stopped" with the unspoken/unwritten corollary, "since that touch occurred outside the penalty area."

City v Bournemouth, surely? And after some very dubious decisions upheld by VAR, isn't this the only penalty awarded since the restart that (after umpteen slomo reviews) has been overturned? Just saying!

It definitely happened in the palace game, didn't watch Bournemouth though!
That wasn't the other day though! And (as the ball had come off the Palace defender's foot onto his arm that was a clear and obvious error). The Bournemouth one wasn't.

The ball is in play once it touches the ground so the GK is fine to pick it up inside the penalty area

That's why I said, "it would be a dropped ball to a player of the team that last touched the ball before play was stopped" with the unspoken/unwritten corollary, "since that touch occurred outside the penalty area."

The last player to touch the ball was Pogba who was inside the box, surely it goes to De Gea !

Back