A&H

United v United

Ciley Myrus

RefChat Addict
Pretty poor call, and lesson for any aspiring ARs, stay with the second last defender!
Or else this happens 🙁

7E8A428E-DA5D-48C8-97CA-B9E82C94D171.png

The Referee Store
I dont think its difficult, of course we will never know but it looks to me like Ar focussed on the defender in the middle, so of course it looks like the WHU striker is beyond him,

Human nature, and the team involved and 20,000 fans shouting "offside" behind him plays its part too. Plays tricks on the mind

but these guys are there because they can handle it.

That is incredibly tight, we are talking centimetres. I suspect he can't see Diego Dalot as Filipe Anderson is blocking his view in the middle.

I dont think its difficult, of course we will never know but it looks to me like Ar focussed on the defender in the middle, so of course it looks like the WHU striker is beyond him,

Human nature, and the team involved and 20,000 fans shouting "offside" behind him plays its part too. Plays tricks on the mind

but these guys are there because they can handle it.
As with the Chelsea call, but slightly opposite, I don't think he can see Dalot properly through Anderson. This is a lot tighter than the Chelsea one too.
It's exactly the tightness of these calls why there is an appetite for VAR. If it was easy to call these there'd be no need for it.

Its all very well freeze-framing these decisions, and the pundits telling the world how bad the AR was...but it real time, that's a very difficult call.

Absolutely. At the time the ball is played there's inches in that for me.

Can I pop up and freeze frame some of your calls @miley, I’m sure they’ll all be laser perfect, yes? 👏👏

These guys train and practise to make that call
Easy? No
Expected a top class AR gets it? Yes

Thats why he is there and we are here.

Its exact kinda clip they drum home.

Its a mistake, I get it, everybody does it. Am looking for an elite AR to get that tho

Zthe best place is not exactly in line with SLD but a few inches to the right so you don't miss players on the far side. This was a few inches to the left but it would have made no difference in this case, it's very close.

Guys. Out of curiosity...are you looking at the player clipping the ball forward (with the offside in the corner of your eye), or the offside line (with the pass in the corner of your eye) ?

Line for me, always line and a glance of course to see when the ball is kicked....

as we know, its neigh impossible to do both

I think when you consider this offside call with what followed immediately after (a very soft penalty decision at the other end), I'd be more than vexed as a supporter that the decisions have gone in favour of the top team. This on a weekend (like most others) when this has been a common theme. I don't blame the referees; they are under intense pressure. Finding in favour of the top teams is a natural trend

I think when you consider this offside call with what followed immediately after (a very soft penalty decision at the other end), I'd be more than vexed as a supporter that the decisions have gone in favour of the top team. This on a weekend (like most others) when this has been a common theme. I don't blame the referees; they are under intense pressure. Finding in favour of the top teams is a natural trend
I am in total opposition to the "Big teams get the decisions" debate.
My primary argument against it is that the top teams dominate games particularly in terms of posession. Therefore there is more opportunity to "get" a decision.
I hate it when teams that have barely touched the ball or strung a pass together say, "give us something ref". I will if you ever get the ball and an opponent commits an offence against you.
Big teams get more penalties because they spend more time in the opposition box. Not because there is some conspiracy to give more decisions to, perceived, big teams.
What happens when two "small" teams play each other? Who "gets" the decisions then?

My primary argument against it is that the top teams dominate games particularly in terms of posession. Therefore there is more opportunity to "get" a decision.
I hate it when teams that have barely touched the ball or strung a pass together say, "give us something ref". I will if you ever get the ball and an opponent commits an offence against you.
Big teams get more penalties because they spend more time in the opposition box. Not because there is some conspiracy to give more decisions to, perceived, big teams.
What happens when two "small" teams play each other? Who "gets" the decisions then?
Ps I support a Massive team and I am sick of not getting the decisions we are entitled to.

Ps I support a Massive team and I am sick of not getting the decisions we are entitled to.

Ok I can maybe answer that but, I need to answer it carefully, for obvious reasons, and even then its just on personal experience...so, if the words don't flow as well as they should, that's why..

A game, a huge team here, V plankton. 45,000 home fans, 45 away fans. Ref gives a pk to away team, which when you investigate it, you can justify a pen...however, the powers that be decreed, "you don't need to give that, so, don't"

Read into that what you will, but not just on this occasion am on about, in general, that's the rule of thumb...

going back to my own thoughts on it, unless you have done it, and I don't mean that in a condescending way to anyone at all, its very easy to flag that offside yesterday. You have 20,000 home fans behind you, and, by all accounts, it looks offside, your instincts and your human nature take over and your actual decision making can take second place.... your brain confuses you, plays tricks and suddenly your compelled to do what seems right, even when its possible your not convinced it is the correct thing

Away from officiating, I followed for years a smaller team, and, I can play back VHS clips until the end of time of big teams getting the calls/my wee team getting nothing.

So, purely on my exp as an official and as a fan, without ever saying anyone would be dishonest, there is totally no question the bigger team gets any benefit of the doubt.

If its two small teams? Brutal reality is, nobody really cares, its just accepted these teams decisions for and against will even themselves out.

So we're on a completely different page on this. Favouring the top teams in the professional game is just a form of 'safe refereeing'. Immense pressure on the PGMOL fellas whether they're aware of it or not. I'm not saying that the bias is intentional

So we're on a completely different page on this. Favouring the top teams in the professional game is just a form of 'safe refereeing'. Immense pressure on the PGMOL fellas whether they're aware of it or not. I'm not saying that the bias is intentional
There are plenty occasions where the big sides don't get the decision. These are forgotten about because they do against smaller teams, it seems, because there is a larger opportunity to get that decision.
Example. This weekend top v bottom. Bottom team were an awful side. Lost 6-0. Only won 1 game all season. After the game one of their lads told us, only had 1 penalty all season. Why is that? Not because they are a small team in that league. quite simply they don't spend enough time in the opposition box to get one. Their perception is they just don't get penalties. But that's a perception not a fact.
Anyone who thinks that the lino didn't give offside against Chelsea because they are a big team or Anderson got given offside v
Because Man U are a big side need to give their head a wobble.

Back