The Ref Stop

United spurs.

The Ref Stop
You'd need 10 refs to decide if it's a clear and obvious error in your system. We have 1 var and 1 avar.
The numbers were to show a general consensus, not how many people we would literally need in the VAR booth.

But I’ve given you my (and others in here) definition of C&O. But you haven’t been able to define who decides what football expects. It isn’t the fans, so who else is it?

The numbers were to show a general consensus, not how many people we would literally need in the VAR booth.

But I’ve given you my (and others in here) definition of C&O. But you haven’t been able to define who decides what football is expects. It isn’t the fans, so who else is it?
The system is sh*t. It's sh*t for fans, players and refs. We should be aiming for better. There's many other better systems in different sports that work well (field hockey in particular).

The system is sh*t. It's sh*t for fans, players and refs. We should be aiming for better. There's many other better systems in different sports that work well (field hockey in particular).
But what are those solutions? This is what I was asking you earlier.

If people are going to say they can do better and/or criticise ,show how it can be done better. I have absolutely no knowledge of field hockey, so I don’t know what their process it.

But what are those solutions? This is what I was asking you earlier.

If people are going to say they can do better and/or criticise ,show how it can be done better. I have absolutely no knowledge of field hockey, so I don’t know what their process it.
The field hockey system is a solution.

Challenges are a solution.

The field hockey system is a solution.

Challenges are a solution.
So that answers one question, but you still haven’t answered what does football expect mean and who decides what it expects.

Not just throwing this question as you, throwing it at anyone who vaguely throws it out there during a discussion. Of which, it happens a lot here!

So that answers one question, but you still haven’t answered what does football expect mean and who decides what it expects.

Not just throwing this question as you, throwing it at anyone who vaguely throws it out there during a discussion. Of which, it happens a lot here!
Football expects isn't easy to define, obviously.

As I mentioned at the start, the 'most' right decision is how I see it. That'll give you, more often than not, a decision that football expects.

Clearly have to be scenarios where lotg supercedes all of that mind

Football expects isn't easy to define, obviously.

As I mentioned at the start, the 'most' right decision is how I see it. That'll give you, more often than not, a decision that football expects.

Clearly have to be scenarios where lotg supercedes all of that mind
That’s fair enough. I don’t necessarily agree with it (the phrase) but fair play for providing an interpretation 🙂

Reactions: es1
Ditch the "Clear and obvious" standard.
It's so ambiguous and varies from person to person.

The objective should simply be "Make the right decision".
In the few occasions it could go either way just get the referee to the monitor! I don't care if it takes 2 minutes to get a RC decision right!
Much easier to stomach than the current VAR lottery.
How would that work though? We regularly see on here that we are split 50/50 on decisions, it isn't 50/50 for this incident but some, myself included, think it should have been red. Granted I would never have been anywhere near a VAR booth, but Peter Walton would have been and he thought it was red.

Games would never end if every decision had to be forensically checked, and you'd have repeated situations where referees went to the monitor after a lengthy delay and just stuck with their original decision. We have to remember the original purpose of VAR, it was to prevent absolute clangers like the Thierry Handball vs Ireland, you show that to 100 referees and all 100 say it was a mistake by the officials. Unfortunately when it was first implemented the VARs got way too involved, probably a bit like you've got a new toy so you are going to use it, but now they are getting towards only getting involved when a clanger has been dropped.

It will be interesting if this one gets featured on the mic'd up programme and see what was said which may of influenced Peter Bankes decision not to get involved.

I don't personally mind the higher bar but that shouldn't prevent intervention when it needs too. I state the point in my previous posts but a red card is a big game changer at any level and I think it's more black and white in terms of subjectivity than a yellow card which could be a red because the criteria for a red card is whether it's SFP/VC or not. Whereas reckless(yellow) could be a bit more open to interpretation.

I am interested on stats of the % of red cards 'overturned' in EPL. And a comparison to other top leagues. It does feel relatively high and it points to a problem somewhere, either in lotg, applying them by referees, leagues complying with them or the review process.

Also I don't like the term 'overturned'. Once the player is sent off and takes no further part in the game, the send off can not be really overturned. Unless the game is replayed form that money onwards. All the review panel is deciding is no further action is taken against the player such as fine or suspension.

Last edited:
Back