A&H

Unbelievable!

jojo

Assistant World Cup Sweepstake Organiser
Level 7 Referee
Well, what a story to tell!

Went to watch Altrincham FC v North Ferriby today - Conference North, 1st v 3rd.

I saw Anthony Taylor before the game (he supports Althrincham), and I've met and spoke to him before at a talk he did a few weeks back so I went and sat next to him. We were chatting throughout the game, and he is very well known within Altrincham.

27mins in, ref goes down injured. Me and Anthony are joking about it, I said to him you best get your boots on, and he says I can't you do! The Chairman rings Anthony asking can you do something, he says no as he's at Wembley tomorrow. He turns to me and says do you want to do it? I say yeah sure, I'll have a go. He walks me down to the touchline and calls over the Chairman. The Chairman says are you ok to do it? I said yeah I can, so he brings me on, I went over to the ref he asked the same question, I say yeah again so he said right ok, come in the changing rooms and we will get you kitted up. After a 12 minute delay, I was kitted up and ready to go.

I then did the rest of the game on the line! I did really really well, assessor had 1 development point for me (which I had pointed out at half time, I put my flag up too early, which was waved on for advantage, but it was because I was a bit touchy because I had only just come on), and he said I looked the part and did excellent! Everyone was very very happy, including me!

Couldn't have been more thrilled with how it went, and loved every minute. Refs and assessor said you'll be at this level one day if you are doing like that now, so I'm extremely pleased with the comments, and couldn't be happier!

Could not believe what happened, and so glad it went well! What a day!!

And I can now breath, while I have aching legs after two games, it was very quick paced, and so glad!!:D:D:D:D:D

The Referee Store
Wow! Not a bad experience, I was hoping for something similar to come up when Southend played Hull in the FA Cup but no such luck!

You're famous!!

http://www.altrinchamfc.co.uk/140412nd.htm

"After a 12 minute delay, a qualified linesman took over on the line and assistant referee Mr Mulhall took charge of the match. Ironically, Premiership ref Anthony Taylor was at the game but not allowed to take over as he has a match scheduled for tomorrow."

I know! I was so lucky, and now its just given me a taste for what I want and something to aim for!

Haha, I bet you were, I would be too!;)

There is more about me on the full match report too! :rolleyes::p

Christ talk about catching a break. That's awesome, must have been such a good experience.

Wow, talk about being in the right place at the right time. It must have been a fantastic experience, I'm jealous! :)

Edit: Just read the report and they even gave you a name check, and a compliment!

What compliment was this? I missed this!!!

They asked my name as we came off for half time, I told them Peter Kay at first but they wouldn't take it;) (only joking:p)

It was the best experience I've ever had, the best game I've done by far, and I enjoyed it so much!

I'm not surprised, I gave all my offside decisions against them! I did really well though, and couldn't believe my luck! About 4 things had to happen to get this game, and they all did which allowed me to get this game, so pleased!:D

"The new assistant was 15 year-old Jordan Crossley, who was to have a sound game" :D

It's on the full match report if you scroll down the page.

Yeah I've just seen it, thanks.

That was nice of them! They didn't have to do that:rolleyes:

So glad I was able to have this opportunity, and so grateful!

I did!! Full fee too!!:eek::D

I know where I'd rather have been - doing that or watching Southend lose to AFC Wimbledon! (mind you, I did pick Roots Hall over the FA Cup today - I'm either loyal or stupid!)

Drinks are on @jojo then! :D
They were, free food before and all that! Although, didn't get refunded my entrance fee;):p

I know where I'd rather have been - doing that or watching Southend lose to AFC Wimbledon! (mind you, I did pick Roots Hall over the FA Cup today - I'm either loyal or stupid!)
It was lucky, if my game hadn't have been a later kick off this morning, then I would've gone to Mansfield to watch the Dale lose 3-0!!!

@jojo sounds quality, as long as you weren't wearing an Altrincham shirt! ;)

@Southend-ref at least you didn't watch your team lose AGAIN after taking the lead for the millionth time this season on the way to relegation and then have to listen to your manager use quotes from a Monty Python sketch to explain your loss...

@jojo sounds quality, as long as you weren't wearing an Altrincham shirt! ;)

As said above, I'm a Rochdale fan, just a neutral supporter there!

I wouldn't have been asked to do offsides if I was an Altrincham fan, but because I was neutral they had no problem in me doing them.:)

great story but i thought that under 16's can't do open age - or does that just apply to referees or is it one of these county by county things

i'd sue them for child abuse if i were you ;)

Back