A&H

Junior/Youth U12s incident

TravisW12

Hi guys just wondering what you would've done in this situation?

It's a cup game. 3-2 to the yellows, 3 minutes to go.

Ball is up in the air, yellow wins it cleanly however falls down in the process onto an already fallen blue player, yellow takes the ball away, however the 2 fallen players are struggling to get out of each other, when the blue is finally nearly up, yellow wraps his legs around the blue's legs disabling him to get up.

I award a DFK to the blues.
Got a bit of abuse from the yellows but was quite a strange one and was wondering what I should've done? (Let it go?)

The Referee Store
DFK is correct, awarded if a player "... holds an opponent; impedes an opponent with contact; ...".
Given the nature of the offence, no way of playing the ball and then keeping down a player who's trying to get on with the game, I'd warn the yellow player about playing the game sensibly and not giving me reasons to card them. You might consider a caution for USB as this does "show a lack of respect for the game" but that could be pushing it.

However, you say you then got "abuse" from the yellow players . I hope you mean that in the vernacular, as abuse (especially of an official, after making a credible and reasonable decision) should be met with a red card, which you don't mention giving. Do you perhaps mean disagreement bordering on dissent, for which personal management is the most effective tool, or dissent itself, where you could caution and probably should at least warn "that's enough, I understand your disagreement, but the decision has been made, let's get on with game".

Reactions: one
DFK is correct, awarded if a player "... holds an opponent; impedes an opponent with contact; ...".
Given the nature of the offence, no way of playing the ball and then keeping down a player who's trying to get on with the game, I'd warn the yellow player about playing the game sensibly and not giving me reasons to card them. You might consider a caution for USB as this does "show a lack of respect for the game" but that could be pushing it.

However, you say you then got "abuse" from the yellow players . I hope you mean that in the vernacular, as abuse (especially of an official, after making a credible and reasonable decision) should be met with a red card, which you don't mention giving. Do you perhaps mean disagreement bordering on dissent, for which personal management is the most effective tool, or dissent itself, where you could caution and probably should at least warn "that's enough, I understand your disagreement, but the decision has been made, let's get on with game".

Yeah me saying a "bit of abuse" is just parents and players disagreeing, nothing too bad, cheers though!

Sounds like you got it right to be honest. Sometimes players do get tangled, and it can help to yell "play on they're just tangled!"

However if one player has deliberately prevented the other from getting up, then I would say a free kick is the minimum, with possibly a yellow as well.

Back