A&H

Trying my hand at Rugby League

Steve C

The Unfit one!
So my missus and her family have got me watching rugby league, i quite enjoy it if im honest and I am looking to get involved with the refereeing of it. Anyone tried (no pun intended) it or know of anyone that has?

The Referee Store
Just to be clear, do you KNOW rugby ? Because it has much more rules than football

Yeah, i know the most of it like offside, ball in and out of play, starts and restarts, tackles, play the balls, tries etc. Its just the little bits that you dont normally see on tv that i need to brush up on

13 a-side Course
The full 13 a-side course is available in venues across the country and ran over one day or two sessions.

The course costs £25 or £12.50 for Under-16s and combines both practical and theoretical elements to give participants a developed understanding of the international laws of the game.

At the end of the course participants will take a written exam and those successful with receive the “RFL Match Officials Award” and will then be encouraged to join a local society.

COURSES

Saturday 6th June - Hindley ARLFC, St Peters Pavillion, Hindley, Wigan WN2 3DN from 10 - 4

Sunday 12th July - Brighouse Sports Club, Russell Way, Brighouse, HD6 4LX from 9:30 - 3:30

Saturday 18th July - Hindley ARLFC, St Peters Pavillion, Hindley, Wigan WN2 3DN from 10 - 4

http://www.therfl.co.uk/more/match_officials/becoming_a_match_official

I've done the rugby union course in the last year and that is great fun. I really enjoy rugby refereeing, there is something really challenging about it, more so than football, I think it's the knowledge of all 22 laws that is the hard part. I also feel under pressure to do well on the pitch because the players aren't allowed to say anything to you, it sounds weird but you feel like you owe the players a good performance for this.

I love it though, if it was a more popular sport with bigger investment and more opportunities I'd definitely focus on progressing through the ranks, until then I'm going to stick to football :)

Easier than union refereeing. For a start all defenders must retreat after the tackle. No worries about gouging, hacking or hands in the ruck. You're also much more verbal - and players like that. Just don't say "He's broken in half!" after a big hit (You know who you are ;) )

Back