A&H

Travel expenses scenario

LC

Level 6 Referee
A potential scenario which I may have this season. Not sure which is the correct option

I live in town A but go to University in town B. I return home to town A every evening from Monday to Friday. My league knows this and they give me a game in town C which they have given me based on me coming straight from University in town B. Returning home from the match will require driving back though town B to get to town A.

Would I claim expenses from my home (A) to the ground (C) and back even though I am coming from town B?

Would I claim expenses from University (B) to the ground (C) and then home (A)?

Would I claim expenses from University (B) to the ground (C) and then back to University (B)? This would be with the logic that I would already be making the journey from B to A anyway so wouldn't claim expenses for that part of the journey?

I feel the third option is the correct one but I am not sure

The Referee Store
It all depends on the league rules what you can claim.

But the general principal is that you can only claim the extra mileage over your normal trips between A & B.
Option A - No, as some of the mileage is your normal mileage
Option B - No, same reason
Option C - No, same reason.

Reactions: LC
It all depends on the league rules what you can claim.

But the general principal is that you can only claim the extra mileage over your normal trips between A & B.
Option A - No, as some of the mileage is your normal mileage
Option B - No, same reason
Option C - No, same reason.

That makes sense. So if my normal total mileage is 60 miles and adding the trip to the ground makes it 65 miles I would only claim for that extra 5 miles?

That makes sense. So if my normal total mileage is 60 miles and adding the trip to the ground makes it 65 miles I would only claim for that extra 5 miles?
Correct.

Reactions: LC
Clubs hate mileage (dare I mention club marks?). Take it in the spirit - what extra mileage are you required to drive to do the match? In your scenario I would charge for B to C and C to A on the day. If the C to A is widely longer than B to A (ie more expensive for the clubs) you should probably work with the league to get games closer to A.

Clubs hate mileage (dare I mention club marks?). Take it in the spirit - what extra mileage are you required to drive to do the match? In your scenario I would charge for B to C and C to A on the day. If the C to A is widely longer than B to A (ie more expensive for the clubs) you should probably work with the league to get games closer to A.

That isn't right though. If you didn't have the game would be travelling from A to B and then back from B to A, so that is a cost you would be incurring anyway. So you really should only be claiming for B to C and then C to B. You won't be going C to B, unless you have to drive past B to get from C to A (getting complicated now ..!) but that is the distance you should charge.

Unless of course the league rules say something different. I know of one supply league that says you charge from your home address regardless of where you have come from. Sometimes this will mean you claim more, sometimes you will claim less than you have actually travelled.

Put it like this if I leave work for a match if it is closer than my house I charge from work to match back to house, If house is closer then I charge house to match to house, I would never charge work to match to work as I don't live there. In your scenario you charge from B-C and then C-A as that is your normal residence.

I charge my actual mileage? if that means home to game to home is 20 miles, but I came from work and that makes it 40 miles (even that id be going home usually) I'll charge 40 miles. end of.

You can only charge for the shortest (Not quickest) route from where the appointing officer thinks you are.

I charge for the route I take ... had this 'conversation' with a ref sec before ... wanted me to drive direct through London from one side practically, to the other as it was 'less miles' than going round the A406 or M25 - even though it'd take me nearly triple the time ...

kindly told him I'd take the other route and charge accordingly - was 5 miles difference ... one of the other officials travelled from deep dark Essex - nearly tripled my mileage! the cheek!!

Well that all sounds right, but if a club think they're getting ripped off, or if you have a dodgy game, they might check what the mileage should be then you'll have to pay it back! It's a poor system but the only way for people not to take the piss is to only charge the shortest route.

I ensure that doesn't happen by always having a good game ;) hahahahahahahaha

they can try to check, but I don't tell them where I have travelled from and too - plus I always undercut my money then increase - like £8 expenses, ill just round it to £5 or something

Reactions: es1
I charge for the route I take ... had this 'conversation' with a ref sec before ... wanted me to drive direct through London from one side practically, to the other as it was 'less miles' than going round the A406 or M25 - even though it'd take me nearly triple the time ...

kindly told him I'd take the other route and charge accordingly - was 5 miles difference ... one of the other officials travelled from deep dark Essex - nearly tripled my mileage! the cheek!!

If you get to level 4 you won't be able to, that is part of the directives. They even use the M25 as an example, you must charge the shortest route even if you decide to take the longest.

What utter claptrap this is. If I had to charge the shortest mileage I'd be charging for my lost time instead, £40 per hour pro rata.
I've even charged for the detour I had to make when there was an accident. It was an extra ten miles. (Both ways too!)

The following is an extract from the 2013/14 Contrib manual of guidance. Not aware that it has changed since then ...

Every effort must be made to keep travelling expenses to a minimum and all Match Officials have a part to play in that quest. The overall responsibility lies with the Match Referee for ensuring the most cost effective and practical joint travel arrangements.

When travelling by private car, you must claim for the journey, calculating the mileage by the shortest route. It is appreciated that, despite this instruction, you may still choose to use another route, which, although providing a quicker journey, is not necessarily the shortest. With the modern development of orbital motorway routes, especially around large conurbations, it is often easier to circumvent these areas, rather than travel through them. That is your choice, but even in these cases, it is imperative that the shortest journey is claimed.

You should be aware that joint travelling arrangements are not always designed on a “pick up on the way” basis. There may be occasions where all three Officials are expected to a meet at a mutually agreed point and then all travel together. In these cases, each individual Official is entitled to claim for the short journey to the meeting point.

When arranging for joint travel, every Match Official has an individual responsibility to ensure that the arrangements are made in good time ahead of the match day. It is not acceptable to leave the making of arrangements until the day before the game. If, when making arrangements, it transpires that there has been a replacement to any of the Officials, the remaining Match Official(s) must contact the appropriate Appointments Officer to establish the replacement and whether joint travel is required with that replacement Official.

There will be no dispensation from joint travel on a Saturday. If a Match Official wishes to withdraw from the joint travel arrangement on a Saturday, permission must firstly be sought, but he will do so at his own expense. It is accepted that – for midweek games – many Officials travel direct to the ground from work and that joint travel arrangements under those circumstances are not practical. To be released from any possible joint travel arrangements in these situations, contact your Appointments Officer (preferably by e-mail). If no authority is sought to be released from midweek joint travel, that Official will not be entitled to claim travelling expenses.

If a Match Official travels to a game by public transport, that Official may claim the appropriate second class rail fare or any costs incurred by using bus, tram or ferry. In all cases of public transport being used, a receipt must be requested and must be submitted with the Official’s expenses claim card. Costs incurred in using toll tunnels, bridges and roads may also be claimed. The non provision of a receipt may negate the paying of travelling expenses. If a Match Official travels part way to a match and receives a call to state that the game has been postponed, he will be entitled to claim the distance travelled to and from the point where he received the call. To do so, he should e-mail the Home Club Secretary with the details.

If a Match Official actually arrives at a ground, where the match is subsequently postponed, he will be entitled to claim his travelling expenses and half the match fee.

No Match Official will be entitled to clam loss of earnings from a regular employment in the event of a postponed game.

Prior to the commencement of the season, each Match Official will be issued with cards, to be used for claiming expenses for each game. A completed expenses card must be submitted to the Home Club Secretary prior to the match and should be supported with the necessary receipts, where appropriate. These cards will be retained by individual Clubs and The Football Association reserves the right to inspect them from time to time to check the claims submitted by Match Officials.

If it is established that any Match Official has misclaimed or over claimed travelling expenses, the Football Association also has the right to ensure that these expenses are repaid to the Home Club. In addition, disciplinary sanctions may also be imposed.

I used to charge a flat rate, i actually lost out on most of them but the teams preferred a flat rate. They never had change anyway and i always carried change to pay back any overpayment. I never did it for money so i wasn't really bothered to milk any system whatsoever. i did hear of refs changing eye watering amounts that was totally against my ethos. Maybe right by the book but its a hobby for me not a career...

I only charged the mileage I drove. The match fee rates around here are still below minimum wage! About time the FA accepted the need to reimburse referees appropriately including travel costs! There are at least 22 participants to share those costs, what's couple of quid to each of them per match?

Recently, I had a game where my mileage claim was nearly twice the amount of my supply league AR match fee. It was a first for me but starting to think, this isn't unusual for some referees.
In covering the National Futsal League, I cover many more miles than I do in 11-a-side, the mileage is capped at 100 miles (round trip) unless you pick up the other officials and claim his/her allowance, too. I've done South Yorkshire to Gateshead and you need two officials to cover than one plus, South Yorkshire to Gloucester, picking up both the other officials en route to cover that trip. I needed all three allowances to be able to claim for that 302 mile trip.

Back