A&H

Training 4.4

Broken but not defeated ...

With this being the 4th of our sessions I expected my fitness to be improving and according to the heart rate monitor chart, it is ... but I still can't run far or fast.

Tonight Paul and I were joined by Neil who is the father of a young referee I helped to train a couple of seasons ago (hey Luke!). James F hasn't been in touch and James P is worried he has shin splints again so he took my advice and is resting up. I wasn't in the best of moods having suffered a disappointment earlier in the day. I had a cramping sensation between my shoulders which I can't help feeling relates to a car crash I had last November and the subsequent whiplash.

Anyway, I needed an exercise where I could just run and leave my anxieties (and hopefully muscle soreness) drift away. We did a 5 minute run just to warm things up. In truth this is becoming like it used to be ... part of the work out (which is very, very wrong) before doing the shuttles. It was time for the main exercise ...

Starting at a corner flag, we jogged to the halfway line, ran to the goal line at the far end, walked across to the point where the penalty area joined the goal line (about 5m) and ran back to the goal line we started from ... easy! We then walked across to where the goal area joined the goal line (about 11.5m) before jogging to the halfway line and then running through to the goal line at the far end. From there we walked along the goal line to where the goal area joined the goal line (around 18m) before running back to the goal line we started from.

By this point I was feeling out on my feet but Paul and Neil were looking fresh. We then walked along the goal line to the point where it joined the penalty area (11.5m), jogged to the halfway line before running through to the far goal line, walking to the corner flag (5m) diagonally opposite to our start point and then ran back along the touchline, finishing at the corner flag at the opposite end of the goal line from our start point.

By way of recovery we walked along the goal line and took about 1 minutes rest before starting the whole cycle again. In fact we went through the cycle 4 times altogether before taking a 3 minute rest. After that we did another 2 cycles, taking the total to 6. The cycles started off at around 4m30s and were stretched out to around 5m15s by the time I finished as I got further and further behind Paul and Neil.

With the 6 cycles complete and time creeping up to 55 minutes since we started we did our jog/walk around the field to warm down before finishing with the usual stretches. Calories 1044, average heart rate 83% (what a slacker).

1430959096615306100-6148246941892581535

The Referee Store
Back