A&H

Training 4.2

But I don't run with my shoulders ...

The madness has infected another and we were joined by James F tonight taking the gang to four. The temperature gauge in the car said it was 23C when I parked up and I was glad I'd downed a litre of water at work during the afternoon. Well it seemed like a good idea but made me that little bit heavier and slower (any excuse).

After we had completed our warm up I noticed my heart rate monitor couldn't decide whether I was dead (no heartbeat) or gunning like an over-revved car (121% of maximum) and it kept locking at a % every couple of minutes. I think I left it in the heat of the conservatory for too long. When I got home I soaked it for about 5 minutes and suddenly it's reading correctly again.

I couldn't decide what we should do so I gave the gang a couple of options and we settled for a simple exercise ... run for 4 minutes, walk for 2 minutes, run for 3 minutes, walk for 90 seconds, run for 2 minutes, walk for 1 minute, run for 1 minute and walk for 30 seconds. Now at that point I thought we might have a rest but we went straight on through ... run for 1 minute, walk for 1 minute, run for 2 minutes, walk for 90 seconds, run for 3 minutes, walk for 2 minutes (and I have to admit I think this walk became 150 seconds) and finally run for 4 minutes.

With the combination of the heat and the extended exercise, I was shattered at the end. Poor James F pulled a muscle in his lower back and I developed cramps across my shoulder blades (see why I said I don't run with my shoulders) and neck. I guess I must be hunching my shoulders as I run.

The stats from tonight make no sense as I did 781 calories and averaged 97% of maximum. You can see from the graph below that the sensor was getting some strange readings

Last word is to congratulate some friends who got a nice letter from The FA today and commiserate with one who didn't.
1430959096615306100-3989434532173684278

The Referee Store
Back