A&H

Training 4.1

Also known as back in the saddle.

My wife went on a diet recently to kickstart getting trim so she looks good on my daughter's wedding photographs in September (it was very successful too!). With the same thought in mind I decided I would begin training again. I never thought it would be so tough and yet so easy.

I met with James and Paul on the field we've used for the last 3 years and set up a simple exercise. After a warm up lap and shuttles, we ran at a pace which gave our hearts, legs and lungs an introductory workout. We ran for 6 minutes, walked for 3 minutes, ran for 5 minutes (my mistake as I miscalculated when we should stop) walked for 3 minutes, ran for 6 minutes 15 seconds, walked for 3 minutes and ran for 6 minutes.

I was keeping a careful eye on my heart rate monitor as I wasn't wanting to take a chance on blowing a gasket. My monitor showed I was working a lot harder than I felt I was so I kept my pace even and slow but still was ticking over between 95 and 100% of my maximum. I got through even though both James and Paul lapped me and I'm looking forward to a slow steady build up in my fitness over the next 3 months.

I'm not wanting to do backflips down the aisle with Sam, but I do want to make sure I don't get harpooned by a passing whaler when I venture on to the beach!

Click the image below for a bigger version (Calories 908, average heart rate 153bpm)

1430959096615306100-6874185786836097326

The Referee Store
Back