A&H

Trailing eye

Viridis1886

I don't care if you got the ball...
Level 5 Referee
How do you manage to get this right?

Are there areas of the pitch types of event where you are more include to keep an eye on where the ball has been, rather than where the ball is? Is like advantage where you divide it into red/amber/green areas or evens?

I partly feel that it is a bit of guesswork, as you have to choose what NOT to be looking at. I guess experience helps but any tips appreciated.

The Referee Store
How do you manage to get this right?

Are there areas of the pitch types of event where you are more include to keep an eye on where the ball has been, rather than where the ball is? Is like advantage where you divide it into red/amber/green areas or evens?

I partly feel that it is a bit of guesswork, as you have to choose what NOT to be looking at. I guess experience helps but any tips appreciated.
Some to consider needing the trailing eye are after playing advantage on a physical offence, a striker close to the goalkeeper clearing from hands, the player already on your radar and closing an opponent, the full back clearing along the touchline as an opponent runs across to him.
It is to some degree guesswork but you develop a 6th sense for possible "afters"

If you have ARs - and you have reminded your ARs to watch for late tackles behind you - then the place you are going to most use the trailing eye is outside on your diagonal.

But also to the left of the AR As they look, when they have to watch the offside line.

Think also about what happens when the ball is in the air. Don’t watch the ball and don’t stop moving. You often have time to watch the player who passed and then the players at the drop zone;)

Centre forward leaving one on centre half as defender clears is a given

You get a feeling tho with experience, of course we cant ever see everything.

Trailing eyes are for when you can see a defensive player charging in to block/challenge. Or when a player is pulling/grappling as they're running, because the moment the ball is released is when the frustration retaliation happens, or the defender puts in a cheeky dig.

Easier to do this if you're taking a wider view of the events ofc.

Back