A&H

Tottenham V Man Utd

SWC 220

In the second half of today's game a Tottenham player breaks forward and is fouled by Luke Shaw to stop what was a promising attack. Chris Kavanagh blows for the foul and goes to his pocket for the yellow card but Tottenham take the quick free kick and he allows play to continue without showing the yellow card. Play continues and eventually goes out for a corner kick at which point he duly cards Luke Shaw for the earlier foul.
Can anyone please confirm if my understanding of this is correct in that this was an error.
In Law 12 it says that once the referee has decided to caution or send off a player, play must not be restarted until the sanction has been administered, unless the non-offending team takes a quick free kick, has a clear goal-scoring opportunity and the referee has not started the disciplinary sanction procedure. The sanction is administered at the next stoppage; if the offence was denying the opposing team an obvious goal-scoring opportunity, the player is cautioned; if the offence interfered with or stopped a promising attack, the player is not cautioned.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
I thought the same - but on viewing the reply I think the YC was justified for a reckless foul rather than SPA.
Expect the officials have clarified after the game...

I didn’t see the incident but it’s possible that it was a reckless foul as well as stopping a promising attack, in which case, Shaw would be booked for the reckless foul even if he didn’t stop a promising attack.

Did he have the yellow out of the pocket? If not, then hes not started the process and play can continue

Did he have the yellow out of the pocket? If not, then hes not started the process and play can continue
No. He blew for the foul, put his hand in his pocket for the card, but before he took it out Tottenham had taken the quick free kick which he allowed

It was good refereeing for me. Reckless yellow.
I thought it was a bit daft of the Spurs players at the time - because they surely did not know the card would still come - it wasn't a great place for a quick free kick and they should have stopped to make sure the yellow was given!

I thought it was pretty much textbook SPA, Shaw just ran across the back of Moura to stop him getting away. Was very surprised when Kavanagh got the card out at the next stoppage.

Yes it was a reckless foul.
Enjoyed Fernandes trying to say that Kav couldn't do it as play had restarted. 😁
I think he had upped his card age at this point as the game was somewhat fractious, so even if it was an SPA and not quite correct in law I think cards were coming out to keep a lid on it

Back