The Ref Stop

Tottenham v Brentford

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
Vicario, the Tottenham keeper, clearly handballs outside the area and Tottenham get away with it. Brooks right on the scene and ignores calls. VAR doesn't get involved.
He stops play and cautions a Brentford player and manager.

The Ref Stop
Terrible from the on field crew. The VAR correctly did not get involved since it wasn't a PK or red card decision. 100% a FK and yellow though.

Playing devil's advocate though, where is John Books? Can't see him on the video, so does he really have any kind of angle on it to see it was clearly outside? Does the active AR have a clear view, Ajer is on the edge of the penalty area so perhaps completely blocks his view, and we don't know what other players are between him and the ball.

VAR has zero relevance, even if they knew 100% it was outside of the area they cannot tell the officials, at least not unless they felt it would be DOGSO which it clearly wouldn't have been.

Playing devil's advocate though, where is John Books? Can't see him on the video, so does he really have any kind of angle on it to see it was clearly outside? Does the active AR have a clear view, Ajer is on the edge of the penalty area so perhaps completely blocks his view, and we don't know what other players are between him and the ball.

VAR has zero relevance, even if they knew 100% it was outside of the area they cannot tell the officials, at least not unless they felt it would be DOGSO which it clearly wouldn't have been.
There were two defenders level with the penalty spot so presumably he wouldn't have been looking across the 18-yard line. Plenty of bodies in between.

I think he had a good view of the handball, but when I watched it on MOTD it wasn't until the slowed down replay was shown that my brain registered it. For me it was one of those things you see but don't believe it actually happened as it is not something you expect to happen.

Good position if I'm being honest...
This was the second of the 3 touches. Hard to tell if this one was outside the area despite Vicario being outside but the third touch was clear as day.
My issue here is that Brooks looks like he is already turning his body away to run upfield when a potential KMI can occur. He must've seen the keeper rushing to edge of area and thought this could be close. The assistant, for the 2nd touch is just out of this shot, but his flag is just about visible. So can tell his not in line but then he would have about 5 players obstructing his view.

Screenshot_20240922-174229~2.png

Screenshot_20240922-174229~3.png

This next shot is when Vicario boots it up the pitch. I think he knows he's handled it and done a Trossard and kicked it away quickly, but in this instance not to waste time but to get rid of the ball from the scene and to maybe confuse the situation.
Whatever, it worked.
Plenty of appeals (I know you don't give on appeal) must've made him think he's got that terribly wrong too).
Screenshot_20240922-174211~2.png

Good position if I'm being honest...
This was the second of the 3 touches. Hard to tell if this one was outside the area despite Vicario being outside but the third touch was clear as day.
My issue here is that Brooks looks like he is already turning his body away to run upfield when a potential KMI can occur. He must've seen the keeper rushing to edge of area and thought this could be close. The assistant, for the 2nd touch is just out of this shot, but his flag is just about visible. So can tell his not in line but then he would have about 5 players obstructing his view.

View attachment 7598

View attachment 7600

This next shot is when Vicario boots it up the pitch. I think he knows he's handled it and done a Trossard and kicked it away quickly, but in this instance not to waste time but to get rid of the ball from the scene and to maybe confuse the situation.
Whatever, it worked.
Plenty of appeals (I know you don't give on appeal) must've made him think he's got that terribly wrong too).
View attachment 7599
More or less agree. Neither AR nor referee could have made a conclusive call and they both were in a position they should be really. I don't know if I would call this a clanger. This image is the exact moment of handball touch.

Screenshot_20240925-205809.jpg

Its a long way out on the PA on that freezeframe. I'm not buying that none of them are able to spot that. Poor all round.
From that freeze frame I think it looks less obvious in real time... On that frame there, his hand contact with the ball could easily be on the penalty area boundary. Obviously I've seen the video and it's well out but I wouldn't say poor all round. Definitely development and learning though.

From that freeze frame I think it looks less obvious in real time... On that frame there, his hand contact with the ball could easily be on the penalty area boundary. Obviously I've seen the video and it's well out but I wouldn't say poor all round. Definitely development and learning though.
I'd agree 2nd touch is borderline and difficult to tell, but 3rd touch is a long way out. Below is the 3rd touch. You can see from the defenders foot that keepers hand and ball can't be on the line

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-09-25 154224.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-25 154224.png
    398.6 KB · Views: 2
I had some doubts as well but on a more close up freeze frame it's a lot more obvious. Though not as obvious as some make it out to be. If AR view is blocked, I don't think the referee should be calling this with the angle he has.

Screenshot_20240926-012853.jpg

I had some doubts as well but on a more close up freeze frame it's a lot more obvious. Though not as obvious as some make it out to be. If AR view is blocked, I don't think the referee should be calling this with the angle he has.

View attachment 7604
That's my take. It is pretty clear the AR can't see it, he is looking through multiple players. Then comes down to whether it would be credible for the referee to give it. From the angle he had there would have to be an element of guesswork, I suspect he'd be on comms to the AR to ask what he can see, if he said he didn't have a view I can't see many referees getting involved there.

Reactions: one
I think the referee will be absolutely gutted he missed this and it’s probably the biggest clanger of his top flight career. There are some mitigating factors. But he’s taken the wrong risk by turning to sprint too early when the ball is still in an unsafe scenario.

I think it’s a great learning clip. I love to run and race the players, so I’m always primed for a box-to-box run, but this is a reminder - especially on the referee’s diagonal - that you need to focus on the action area, whether that’s because there might still be a challenge, ball not under control, trailing eye for late challenge etc.

I think the referee will be absolutely gutted he missed this and it’s probably the biggest clanger of his top flight career. There are some mitigating factors. But he’s taken the wrong risk by turning to sprint too early when the ball is still in an unsafe scenario.

I think it’s a great learning clip. I love to run and race the players, so I’m always primed for a box-to-box run, but this is a reminder - especially on the referee’s diagonal - that you need to focus on the action area, whether that’s because there might still be a challenge, ball not under control, trailing eye for late challenge etc.
Disagree a little here. Yes his body is turn but he is looking directly at the incident with an unblocked view from a credible distance and position for general play, though not for this specific incident which you usually rely on AR for. The second last pic I posted in post #10 shows clearly he is looking at it, hasn't missed it and chose not to call it.

Back