A&H

Tony Chapron

one

RefChat Addict
Remember a few month back when Tony Chapron did this:

He then apologised.

The referee body wanted him back on the field.

The footballing body suspended him for 6 months.

The refereeing body named him for the referee of the year award.

The footballing body cancelled the award.

Footballing politics at its best.

The Referee Store
Not really. More like common sense prevailing.

Any referee who commits violent conduct should be suspended for a long time. IMHO a minimum of 5 years would be appropriate.

We are supposed to be the custodians of fair play within the game, so we should be held to a higher standard than the Neanderthals we routinely officiate.

Any referee who commits violent conduct should be suspended for a long time. IMHO a minimum of 5 years would be appropriate.

We are supposed to be the custodians of fair play within the game, so we should be held to a higher standard than the Neanderthals we routinely officiate.
Agree @Padfoot.

An analogy, as I know we arent, but in the real world, if a police officer commits a serious criminal offence they would be released from their position, unable to return. Why should that not be the same for a referee who commits one of the most serious offences in the laws of the game?

Now I dont literally mean we are the police, but there are some similarities between the roles in their respective worlds.

My post was not about the suspension. Fully deserved and perhaps should have been longer. It was about the politics that ensued between to the two bodies. Naming him the referee of the year (obviously as a show of protest against the suspension) and then cancelling the award to show who is the boss.

Remember a few month back when Tony Chapron did this:

He then apologised.

The referee body wanted him back on the field.

The footballing body suspended him for 6 months.

The refereeing body named him for the referee of the year award.

The footballing body cancelled the award.

Footballing politics at its best.

Was the award of the referee of the year for performances or a political gesture?

If the later then the other referees competing would be very annoyed.

6 months seems very lenient. How come so light a sentence?

A pretty stupid political statement in my opinion.

There are plenty of good hills to die on. This was not one of them.

Was the award of the referee of the year for performances or a political gesture?

Surly it couldn't have been for performance if he refereed only half the season and he did that ^^^^ in his last game.

We all make mistakes, I think 6 months was about right, which player gets that for similar??

Never struck out myself but I’m sure on the inside some of us have wanted to knock Somones block off but had to keep on referee mode and take it!

He actually cut the player up, I’d be embarrassed with a smile on my face & keen to get my eyes back on the game how he manages to make a ridiculous attempt at kicking the player & then send him off is quite simply mind boggling.

He did send him off if I remember rightly.

He actually cut the player up, I’d be embarrassed with a smile on my face & keen to get my eyes back on the game how he manages to make a ridiculous attempt at kicking the player & then send him off is quite simply mind boggling.

He did send him off if I remember rightly.

You mean you wouldn’t have banged the player out for getting in your way? You do surprise me!

He was voted referee of the year by the other top flight referees, so I think it was a gesture from the refs to the governing body and also due to the fact that he is retiring.

Back