A&H

Tips to improve my distance running?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But the point is, that at L4 you are not officiating at Grass Roots level, you are operating at Semi-Pro level, with players getting paid and spectators paying to watch.

I over looked the grading
If its Sunday Pub league or kids, say to, 15s or if its girls, then for better or worse you kind of get what you get
If your talking semi pro then fitness, ability and knowledge of laws of game are equal and essential.

The Referee Store
But the point is, that at L4 you are not officiating at Grass Roots level, you are operating at Semi-Pro level, with players getting paid and spectators paying to watch.

I wasn't talking about Level 4's in my post.
I was replying to Ciley's post about fitness tests for all levels.

In an ideal world there should be mandatory annual fitness tests and laws of the game exam for all referees regardless of level, obviously less strenuous the lower the level of football. Equally though everyone is realistic that in England there aren't enough referees as it is, and wiping a huge percentage out wouldn't help the game as a whole. If you were to ask most grass roots clubs if they would rather have a fat referee stood in the centre circle all game or a coach / parent / player refereeing (who would probably also be in the centre circle) the vast majority would go for the former.

At senior level football though, and I'd say that starts at step 7 or 6 in England, there should be an absolutely minimum level of fitness. 2400m mentioned for the SSMFL step 6 requirement is sensible as you shouldn't be anywhere near the middle of a game of that level if you can't achieve that. Nor should anyone that can't comfortably cover 2.6km in 12 minutes be refereeing a step 5 game and be on the lines for steps 3 and 4.

In an ideal world there should be mandatory annual fitness tests and laws of the game exam for all referees regardless of level, obviously less strenuous the lower the level of football. Equally though everyone is realistic that in England there aren't enough referees as it is, and wiping a huge percentage out wouldn't help the game as a whole. If you were to ask most grass roots clubs if they would rather have a fat referee stood in the centre circle all game or a coach / parent / player refereeing (who would probably also be in the centre circle) the vast majority would go for the former.

At senior level football though, and I'd say that starts at step 7 or 6 in England, there should be an absolutely minimum level of fitness. 2400m mentioned for the SSMFL step 6 requirement is sensible as you shouldn't be anywhere near the middle of a game of that level if you can't achieve that. Nor should anyone that can't comfortably cover 2.6km in 12 minutes be refereeing a step 5 game and be on the lines for steps 3 and 4.

whilst the teams might accept a, rounded aged gentleman, as its better than nothing, and of course it services the game, I was meaning more from an Association point of view, again whilst servicing the game is vital, your members represent what you are as an association and the, ' well he's very large and wont move out the centre circle but he is better than nothing', drags the standards down.

whilst the teams might accept a, rounded aged gentleman, as its better than nothing, and of course it services the game, I was meaning more from an Association point of view, again whilst servicing the game is vital, your members represent what you are as an association and the, ' well he's very large and wont move out the centre circle but he is better than nothing', drags the standards down.

Yes but referees and associations exist to service the clubs, not the other way around. So if clubs are happy to accept it then it would be wrong to impose a mandatory fitness test at even the lowest levels if that means games go uncovered and clubs suffer as a result.

Yes but referees and associations exist to service the clubs, not the other way around. So if clubs are happy to accept it then it would be wrong to impose a mandatory fitness test at even the lowest levels if that means games go uncovered and clubs suffer as a result.

Ano, its just a bit degrading, for all. Including the ref in question, to be better than nothing.

As a fat referee rapidly approaching his late 50s I have done all the training things you could ever want. I used to train regularly with the Madleys (can someone pick that up for me?) however, more frequently recurring injuries, a double heart condition and the side effects of the medication to treat them prevent me doing all that I want.

I therefore restrict myself to junior football and 20 second runs from penalty area to penalty area and back again (anther 20 seconds then I need a little breather). I still deliberately run around the outside of the centre circle to amuse myself. It's not degrading in any way.

As a fat referee rapidly approaching his late 50s I have done all the training things you could ever want. I used to train regularly with the Madleys (can someone pick that up for me?) however, more frequently recurring injuries, a double heart condition and the side effects of the medication to treat them prevent me doing all that I want.

I therefore restrict myself to junior football and 20 second runs from penalty area to penalty area and back again (anther 20 seconds then I need a little breather). I still deliberately run around the outside of the centre circle to amuse myself. It's not degrading in any way.
More George Hamilton than Lewis then?? ;)

i get that and as usual any post is not directed at any person
Am different, I would be offended insulted and humiliated to be referred to as, better than not having a ref at all,
Back handed compliment .

Reactions: es1
I’ve seen a Level 5 lose a game, all the bling but his man management, appreciation of what’s a nasty foul led to his game going south very quickly. Sometimes refereeing park football like a WC final can fall in your face, I suppose the opposite is true too, ref a decent game like a Parks game!

I've mentioned this before. I watched a ref last year who was getting on in years and could literally barely move (a really extreme example of what's being discussed). He got tons of stuff wrong, yet the players accepted him and his limitations because he was neutral
Regular on-line theory tests are probably more important for L7s than fitness tests imo. There's no excuse for not picking the book up occasionally

I've mentioned this before. I watched a ref last year who was getting on in years and could literally barely move (a really extreme example of what's being discussed). He got tons of stuff wrong, yet the players accepted him and his limitations because he was neutral
He would be accepted up to a point. If he turned up to a Step 7 game, or maybe a step 7 feeder league would they be as accepting?
I think there is a place for more experienced refs who wish to continue and that is where it'd those games where participation is the most important factor, but, once its competitive I think its fair to expect a certain minimum requirement.

He would be accepted up to a point. If he turned up to a Step 7 game, or maybe a step 7 feeder league would they be as accepting?
I think there is a place for more experienced refs who wish to continue and that is where it'd those games where participation is the most important factor, but, once its competitive I think its fair to expect a certain minimum requirement.
Absolutely... I think this was a low-skilled Vets game. Any Local County League game on a Saturday would have higher expectations. Vast majority of Step 7 games have promoted refs

If you believe the experts it's heart rate zones. Sounds like you are going to hard and that's where the wall is.
There is loads of online resources.
I am taking this opportunity now to work on my aerobic base. I usually run between 5 and 10k but ways in zone 4 and 5 which long term is not good, leads to overtraining and burnout.
I am following a polar running program where I dont think about distance. All about volume. So tomorrow I go for a 55 minute run but I am not supposed to get out of heart rate zone 2. Which for me is no more than 132bpm. Which essentially is not much more than a walk. I am lead to believe that over time and committing I will be able to run at my old pace but at a lower heart rate.
No heart rate tracker then you shouldn't really train at a faster pace than is comfortable to hold a conversation. If you are having to take breaths in between sentences then you are going to hard.
Allegedly this will improve your sprint speed and anaerobic thresholds in the long term.

I've been having a look at my HRZ since I seen you posted this. Its impossible for me to run in Zone 2. Wheres the best place to look for guidance on this if anyone has any?

My fitness levels the now are shocking. doing a 5k my HR is 180. Not good

I've been having a look at my HRZ since I seen you posted this. Its impossible for me to run in Zone 2. Wheres the best place to look for guidance on this if anyone has any?

My fitness levels the now are shocking. doing a 5k my HR is 180. Not good
Do you know what your max heart rate is? That's important to calculating zones. What device are you using?
Tbh with you mate it's hard. I am jogging not much faster than my walking pace. On Sunday I did about 8min pkm in zone 2 when I can run 4min 30/5 min pkms usually in hr zone 4/5.
Apparently it can take around 3 months to get up and going.
2 bits of advice I have seen is you might need to walk in between jogs to keep the heart rate in the zone.
And Try using a long steady hill. Jog down, walk up. Going downhill helps keep the heart rate low with a higher speed and obviously the other way is harder and raises the heart rate.
In 2 weeks I have noticed a difference. I was having to walk up the hill in parts, but now I can jog up the hill albeit doing 12 min pkm pace. At times it is essentially a shuffle and you feel like an idiot but as each session I do I am starting to feel very slow progress.
Allegedly it's the volume of training I. E. Time spent in the zones that works rather than trying to cover a distance.

Google low heart rate training there is loads of stuff on it.
Not 100% it's ideal training for refs, if the season startup is announce I will stop it and get back to HIIt training but in this off season makes sense to improve my aerobic base which should help with fitness when doing higher intensity stuff I. E. Should be able to go harder with less strain on the cardio vascular system

Do you know what your max heart rate is? That's important to calculating zones. What device are you using?
MHR is 189. Using an apple watch also to track. The only way I can keep myself in Z2 is to just walk and I don't feel like I will get any benefit from doing that

MHR is 189. Using an apple watch also to track. The only way I can keep myself in Z2 is to just walk and I don't feel like I will get any benefit from doing that
When you walk do you get out of breath?

When you walk do you get out of breath? What sort of heart rate zone are you in when walking?
You might have to start at a walk to bring down your walking HR.
I'm no expert in it all, potentially doing more high intensity for a while might improve you ability to perform lower intensity exercise but I dont know, these articles seem to suggest over HIITing will lead to injury and breakdown.
In the sessions I am doing I am not even breaking sweat and running at about 1min per km faster than I walk and next to no recovery time needed.

When you walk do you get out of breath? What sort of heart rate zone are you in when walking?
You might have to start at a walk to bring down your walking HR.
I'm no expert in it all, potentially doing more high intensity for a while might improve you ability to perform lower intensity exercise but I dont know, these articles seem to suggest over HIITing will lead to injury and breakdown.
In the sessions I am doing I am not even breaking sweat and running at about 1min per km faster than I walk and next to no recovery time needed.

I do not. Zone tends to be 2 when walking purely cause I start it as a run and when it goes to Z5 I stop. I'll need to have a further delve into everything to see whats best to increase the fitness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back