A&H

Open Age Time to get back in the saddle

zarathustra

RefChat Addict
So, I had to call an end to last season around February due to injuries which had also seen me pull out of the last promotion season in October.

This Saturday will be my first game since then, wedding and honeymoon ruled out any pre-season games).

I’m still coming back from injury, but it’s more the building up fitness again rather than treatment etc, and my Saturday league have been kind enough to assign me to some lower level games, and also to a couple of lines so I can ease back in gently.

I’m not overly nervous about getting back in the ring, my fitness needs work, but I managed to stop smoking and have been clean for co big on 5 months now, and running and fitness wise I seem to be more or less about where I was when I stopped, but need to get the miles back in my legs.

But, part of me is wondering whether I really want to keep refereeing. Maybe it is because I’ve had so long off, but there’s a little part of me that thinks chilling out and relaxing might be a more productive use of my time.

Has anyone else had similar thoughts after a long break?

The Referee Store
I strained my LCL and half 8 months out and I went through the same thing. Started spending more time with the family and when approaching the time to get back into refereeing, I began to realise how much of my personal time is taken up.

However, one game back in and the bug was back. Haven't stopped since. I'm sure it'll be the same for you but if it's not, you'll know within the first few games

I strained my LCL and half 8 months out and I went through the same thing. Started spending more time with the family and when approaching the time to get back into refereeing, I began to realise how much of my personal time is taken up.

However, one game back in and the bug was back. Haven't stopped since. I'm sure it'll be the same for you but if it's not, you'll know within the first few games

Hopefully, incidentally, I’ve just been appointed to an FA Youth Cup game

And now I’m not on an FA Youth Cup game.

I’d have thought the FA would be a bit more organised when it comes to appointments

When I was an L3 I missed 4 months for knee surgery. Whilst I should have been itching to get back out on the green stuff I was alarmed to find that I wasn't, and didn't miss it at all. I eventually came back and did one Ryman League game, didn't enjoy it and that was my last game as an L3 as I emailed Dave Cook and Neale Barry the day after to quit.

Refereeing, apart from at the very top level, is a hobby, and if you aren't enjoying any kind of hobby you will evaluate why you are still doing it. I don't really see refereeing as any different.

When I was an L3 I missed 4 months for knee surgery. Whilst I should have been itching to get back out on the green stuff I was alarmed to find that I wasn't, and didn't miss it at all. I eventually came back and did one Ryman League game, didn't enjoy it and that was my last game as an L3 as I emailed Dave Cook and Neale Barry the day after to quit.

Refereeing, apart from at the very top level, is a hobby, and if you aren't enjoying any kind of hobby you will evaluate why you are still doing it. I don't really see refereeing as any different.
True, I’m going to give it a month or so, to see if it’s just that I’ve not done it for a while, or whether it’s something else.

Well I e literally just finished. Absolutely knackered.

But, while my game wasn’t the best I don’t believe I’ve done too badly, however the losing team is going to report me, the opposition, the sun, moon, stars, and wind.

While I wasn’t great and there was a bit of a dodgy penalty (in hindsight it was very soft) I think it’s just a case of sore losers

If I got a quid for all my disgruntled losers I’d be a richer man, so I didn’t ever care what they thought, ever. Well done ZaZa⚽⚽

If I got a quid for all my disgruntled losers I’d be a richer man, so I didn’t ever care what they thought, ever. Well done ZaZa⚽⚽

Haha yeah.

My suspicions were raised before the game when I intro mduced mysef to the coach and unprompted he started telling me how his players don’t get on the ref, he tells them to play to the whistle etc etc.

Then in the second half he complained that the home number 10 had said something, and that his daughter was present. The only thing I could hear were his team go big off at each other.

In hindsight I should have been a bit stricter, but nothing really happens that was worthy of a card, just corralling a load of whinge bags for 90 minutes, the heat must have made them grumpy.

Did my second match of the season yesterday, bottom division ladies match.

Went fine, aside from being massive and massively out of shape I managed to keep up with play and still covered about 4.5 miles during the match, which is about average for this league.

need to work on my positioning, diagonal was well off, but the fact that most of the player could trap the ball further than they could kick it doesn't help.

Also found that my tolerance for nonsense is even lower than last season, came away with 3 yellows, 1 for a foul (DOGSO) in the penalty area, 1 for kicking the ball away, and one for dissent.

Definitely getting my groove back, and looking forwards to next weeks match

Back