A&H

Tier for level 7s

willt2004

Newref
Level 8 Referee
What is the highest her that a level 7 can be an AR. Would it be a match with a level 5 middle or something ?

Thanks for any help.

The Referee Store
Will likely vary from county to county (as most everything does!). However in my area, a good Level 7 AR could most definitely run the line on a Step 6 game (which would generally have a Level 5 referee in the middle, often one on the 5 to 4 promotion scheme). They could just conceivably run the line on a Step 5 (with an L4 in the middle) but they would have to spend a good while demonstrating their overall AR competence to open up that possibility

Will likely vary from county to county (as most everything does!). However in my area, a good Level 7 AR could most definitely run the line on a Step 6 game (which would generally have a Level 5 referee in the middle, often one on the 5 to 4 promotion scheme). They could just conceivably run the line on a Step 5 (with an L4 in the middle) but they would have to spend a good while demonstrating their overall AR competence to open up that possibility

Thanks

In the absence of specific step 5 or lower league rules a level 7 can certainly be assistant referee. When I was a level 4 I had many L7 and L6 assistants, as Russell says these will be ones that have impressed on lower division games.

That stops at step 4 where the AR must be minimum L4. Minimum requirements for all steps in the majority of leagues are below.

Step 5 - L4 referee (although some leagues have frequently been short this season and used L5s on these games)
Step 4/3 - L3 referee, L4 ARs
Step 2 - L2B referee, L3F ARs
Step 1 - L2A referee, L3E ARs and 4th official

The reason I say most leagues is that some leagues with contributory status are at a lower level. For example the Eastern Counties (Thurlow Nunn) Premier Division is at step 5 but is refereed by L3s with L4s on the line. The North and South divisions that feed into this are step 6 but have to be refereed by L4s. There are other leagues with this policy but I don't know which ones exactly.

Northern Counties Prem is a step 5 league and uses L3, it's Division 1 is a step 6 and uses L4 (with L5 & 6 AR).

Northern Counties Prem is a step 5 league and uses L3, it's Division 1 is a step 6 and uses L4 (with L5 & 6 AR).

Thanks, I knew it was one of the Northern leagues but couldn't remember which.

It has always struck me as unfair that some level 4s are doing step 6 football whilst others are doing step 5. I've observed on both SSMFL Premier (step 5) and Thurlow Nunn South (step 6) and the gulf in standard is massive, so much so that a YouTube team have come in and won the latter in their first season. Although at least those L4s are only judged against other L4s on that league / pool.

It is worse for L3s as they are all ranked nationally so are competing against each other. One might do 80% of his middles on step 3 games with the other doing 80% of his on step 5 games, and the difference in standards between those leagues is absolutely enormous. I know from my experience that refereeing a step 5 game is usually an absolute doddle compated to those at step 3.

Thanks, I knew it was one of the Northern leagues but couldn't remember which.

It has always struck me as unfair that some level 4s are doing step 6 football whilst others are doing step 5. I've observed on both SSMFL Premier (step 5) and Thurlow Nunn South (step 6) and the gulf in standard is massive, so much so that a YouTube team have come in and won the latter in their first season. Although at least those L4s are only judged against other L4s on that league / pool.

It is worse for L3s as they are all ranked nationally so are competing against each other. One might do 80% of his middles on step 3 games with the other doing 80% of his on step 5 games, and the difference in standards between those leagues is absolutely enormous. I know from my experience that refereeing a step 5 game is usually an absolute doddle compated to those at step 3.
That's odd. I can only say from refereeing a step 3 friendly and in my experience as an AR at step 5-3 (which highlights the ridiculousness that I AR at a level some of my peers are reffing, anyway I digress) is that step 3 seems easier than step 5 I terms of misconduct. Yes the fitness levels are much higher but the skill level is considerably too and the players are more accepting, in fact, expecting the laws be applied correctly. Where as step 5 games the players are less skilful and only a little fitter than supply league Nd the behavioural standards tend to be somewhat poorer thus making the games more difficult for the referee. In fact I have reffed supply league teams that would bowl some step 5 off the park.
So I am somewhat surprised that you feel the higher level is harder to ref.
As I say I can only speak from a dabble. In a friendly and from running the line. If I ever get up to the next level my opinion might change, I suppose

That's odd. I can only say from refereeing a step 3 friendly and in my experience as an AR at step 5-3 (which highlights the ridiculousness that I AR at a level some of my peers are reffing, anyway I digress) is that step 3 seems easier than step 5 I terms of misconduct. Yes the fitness levels are much higher but the skill level is considerably too and the players are more accepting, in fact, expecting the laws be applied correctly. Where as step 5 games the players are less skilful and only a little fitter than supply league Nd the behavioural standards tend to be somewhat poorer thus making the games more difficult for the referee. In fact I have reffed supply league teams that would bowl some step 5 off the park.
So I am somewhat surprised that you feel the higher level is harder to ref.
As I say I can only speak from a dabble. In a friendly and from running the line. If I ever get up to the next level my opinion might change, I suppose

I thought the same when I went from 4-3, but once I started refereeing on the contrib I realised how much harder it was and I would often come away from games physically and emotionally drained, to an extent that I hadn't since my first few games at L4. I completely fell apart in a couple of games and that hadn't happened before. There was one step 3 local derby with a very large crowd where I had a terrible, terrible first 30 minutes, if it could have gone wrong it went wrong and the harder I tried to get things right the worse it got. Players at step 5 would have just moaned, whereas at this level they work out what is happening and try to turn it to their advantage

Fitness levels and speed of the game are obviously much higher, but also players are generally much more experienced and are better at concealing fouls and getting under your skin without overstepping the line. On the face of it behaviour is better, but a lot of that is down to players being smart. And then of course you have the added pressure of the crowd, you are going from usually refereeing in front of a man and his dog to sometimes with crowds of more than a thousand at step 3.

And then PL / FL under 23 games are an even bigger step up, the pace is unbelievable and for the first couple I did I thought I'd massively shrunk in size as the players seemed so big around me.

I wouldn’t want a L4 lining on one of my games back in the day, they can go and help the available ones that need then 😂

Back