A&H

Throw in Signals

Antman

Level 7 Referee
Afternoon guys. I was AR this afternoon for an U14 Academy fixture and I seemed to struggle with the signals on throw in's. My brain told me which team the throw in belonged to but my arm just didn't want to know.
The ref was actually pretty patient with me and I redeemed myself (i think) with a close offside call.
Does anyone else experience issues with flag directions?

The Referee Store
I do and struggle every time although thankfully I haven't pointed the wrong way (yet). My advice: keep talking to yourself in your head with the direction of the throw and signal that way when it goes out. Another piece of advice might be to keep eye contact with the referee and copy his signal (some referee's I have been on with prefer an indication first of what direction rather than a straight signal - the best way for these struggles).

All of the above. Also, name your hands. I always at the start of a half sort of chant the colour to myself at the arm for tha colour and open and clasp as i do it. "Red, red, red" for left, "blue blue blue" for right. Works well for me.
Dont do it out loud though, might attract a few funny stares.

Also, take ypur time you've loads of it. Look at the ref, he'll be helping you out and if not its a second or two thinking time. You dont need to signal straight away. Nice, slow deliberate movements show confidence in your decision

Some great advice here guys! Many thanks for your help and im just glad that it isn't just me

And when you do inevitably get it wrong, as we all do, don't cross the flag over your body to correct it. Flag down, pass to the other hand with your hands at waist height (depending upon the length of your arms!), and then crisply back up for the right direction. And never, ever hold the flag over your head, e.g. raise the flag in your right hand and indicate a throw in to the defence!

I still do this after half time when I'm in the middle, never mind on the line. :p

Same for me even after all these years! For the first few decisions of the second half I usually shout "red ball" (or whatever colour) before I signal. It gives me a moment to think which way reds are kicking.

All the above. I also occasionally have problems, after half time, when I am in the middle.
Once both myself (ref) and my AR made the same obvious mistake for a TI. It was more funny than anything else. We both corrected it at the same time as soon as we saw the wrong player going for the ball and heard the shouts of "WHAT?" :) Big smile and a loud "Sorry guys. Half time blues", everyone got on with it.

As a side point, as a ref, just make sure your mistake doesn't give the eventual thrower an unfair advantage with a quick throw (or a QFK of the wrong signal was for a FK).

Downstairs then Upstairs is the method I use when on the line, and ask my assistants to adopt when I'm in the middle.

The ball goes out of play and I make the mental decision which way I'm awarding the throw, at that point I either move the flag slightly away from my body to the left (for defensive, assuming left backs / right wings) and make eye contact with the referee to ensure agreement before bringing my arm up. For attacking, I swap the flag low down in front of my body, same eye contact to check the referee is in agreement and then up in the right hand for the signal.

If there has been a nick or blind side touch (from the referee's view), particularly in the middle or far third of the pitch, whilst the flag is low but away from my body I'll agitate it slightly so the ref can see I'm suggesting there is a non-obvious direction but I've got the best view so we can go together.

Rare occurrence is your view is blocked, you know the ball's gone out but have no idea who played it last - if the ball is now dead (rather than a fraction out and play continuing, flag held in front of me both hands so the referee can see I haven't got a clue so they can take control (that's why they get an extra £5/ game!), if a very close "in / out" call arises and play continues, same concept is in play but I put flag straight up and a cast a pleading look to the referee to offer a direction.

If neither of you can call it and player reaction doesn't 100% give you all the info you need - it's defensive all the way! If you cross, drop the flag and wait for the referee to either over rule you or to change his mind and acknowledge that you've made the right call.

Not sure of the statistics, but I'm pretty sure that throw ins will be the most frequent decision that needs to be made during a game, so the key is to make sure you are comfortable with either the instructions you are giving to your assistants, or are receiving from the referee, as whilst often inconsequential in the context of the game, getting throw in's wrong or crossing signals is a really easy way to lose credibility and look unprofessional.

Same for me even after all these years! For the first few decisions of the second half I usually shout "red ball" (or whatever colour) before I signal. It gives me a moment to think which way reds are kicking.

And me, but for that reason, you CAN shout out loud in the middle, it makes it a bit easier.

Downstairs then Upstairs is the method I use when on the line, and ask my assistants to adopt when I'm in the middle.

The ball goes out of play and I make the mental decision which way I'm awarding the throw, at that point I either move the flag slightly away from my body to the left (for defensive, assuming left backs / right wings) and make eye contact with the referee to ensure agreement before bringing my arm up. For attacking, I swap the flag low down in front of my body, same eye contact to check the referee is in agreement and then up in the right hand for the signal.

If there has been a nick or blind side touch (from the referee's view), particularly in the middle or far third of the pitch, whilst the flag is low but away from my body I'll agitate it slightly so the ref can see I'm suggesting there is a non-obvious direction but I've got the best view so we can go together.

Rare occurrence is your view is blocked, you know the ball's gone out but have no idea who played it last - if the ball is now dead (rather than a fraction out and play continuing, flag held in front of me both hands so the referee can see I haven't got a clue so they can take control (that's why they get an extra £5/ game!), if a very close "in / out" call arises and play continues, same concept is in play but I put flag straight up and a cast a pleading look to the referee to offer a direction.

If neither of you can call it and player reaction doesn't 100% give you all the info you need - it's defensive all the way! If you cross, drop the flag and wait for the referee to either over rule you or to change his mind and acknowledge that you've made the right call.

Not sure of the statistics, but I'm pretty sure that throw ins will be the most frequent decision that needs to be made during a game, so the key is to make sure you are comfortable with either the instructions you are giving to your assistants, or are receiving from the referee, as whilst often inconsequential in the context of the game, getting throw in's wrong or crossing signals is a really easy way to lose credibility and look unprofessional.

Excellent advice MattyAB - exactly what this forum is for!

I still have this problem 20 years on, and 10 of those in the semi-pro game. Not at all uncommon for me to shout red ball, blue ball, etc, at times because I haven't got a scooby which way to point, I'll then wait to see how players set up before signalling. Usually at the start of the either half, but sometimes other times as well. Strangely it is only when I'm in the middle, and I've rarely had the same problem when assistant.

I still have this problem 20 years on, and 10 of those in the semi-pro game. Not at all uncommon for me to shout red ball, blue ball, etc, at times because I haven't got a scooby which way to point, I'll then wait to see how players set up before signalling. Usually at the start of the either half, but sometimes other times as well. Strangely it is only when I'm in the middle, and I've rarely had the same problem when assistant.

Yeah same for me after 15 years, although most of my 'senior' moments come on the line. I have a theory....... when watching a QPR game I NEVER have the problem - because I'm always thinking 'our' throw or 'their' throw but when neutral (as an official) we don't have that thought process - just proves that we are genuinely neutral......... as I said its only a theory!:oops::p

Back