A&H

Throw-in question

CrazyKoalaman

I have recently refereed my very first game and I identified two areas where I definitely need to work on. The first was my foul recognition (I had exactly the same problem as ManinMiddle has had) and my second was working out which way some throw-ins would go. I know referees are supposed to give hand signals every time, and as soon as, there is a throw in but if you're not entirely sure which way the throw-in should go and only one team is clearly preparing to take the throw-in, should you give the hand-signal after the players on that team have prepared to take the throw-in? It's just that in my first match, I gave a hand signal before players from one team approached the ball and seemed bemused as to why I had given it to the other team. By the other team's reaction, it was clear they weren't expecting a throw-in so I got it wrong in this case. If I had left the hand signal for 5 more seconds, I would have signalled the correct way. Any advice? :)

The Referee Store
The referee does not have to give a signal for obvious throw ins...watch the pros, i would say they signal maybe 50% of the time.

So first tip - don’t feel the need to signal when all 22 players have it figured out.

Other tips for when you do need to signal. Do it strongly - even when you have a guess. Nothing worse than half hearted referee signals. You are the sole judge. Also helps to talk to yourself. If it’s red vs blue and red is attacking up the left wing with blue rushing towards the player the most likely outcome if a clean tackle and a red throw or a blue foul...this type of running commentary helps (can’t quite explain why but it helps in multiple ways for me including persisten infringement etc). When you start refereeing you are watching things so closely to get the fouls, throw ins GK/Corners correct that you aren’t actually watching the game. When you zoom out a bit you actually see things better. It comes with experience.

Additionally, if you're genuinely unsure of which way the throw is, and your CAR isn't bailing you out, and both sets of players are appealing/unsure, then you may want to play it safe and go defensive. This should clamp down on any further aggro, such as the attacking team going on to score from it.

I only signal for a throw in if players from both sides appeal for it, and I tend to shout "blue ball" (or whatever) immediately too.

If I'm not sure which way it should go, and it's disputed, defending team gets it.

The referee does not have to give a signal for obvious throw ins...watch the pros, i would say they signal maybe 50% of the time.

That isn't right, certainly not at grass roots level. They don't do it at the top levels because they have assistants to make the signal, and the referee will generally only signal if it is in the opposite half of the pitch to the active assistant.

It was only when I got to L3 that it became acceptable to not signal every decision, indeed it was encouraged not to in order to avoid the risk of "crossing".

So first tip - don’t feel the need to signal when all 22 players have it figured out.

Other tips for when you do need to signal. Do it strongly - even when you have a guess. Nothing worse than half hearted referee signals. You are the sole judge. Also helps to talk to yourself. If it’s red vs blue and red is attacking up the left wing with blue rushing towards the player the most likely outcome if a clean tackle and a red throw or a blue foul...this type of running commentary helps (can’t quite explain why but it helps in multiple ways for me including persisten infringement etc). When you start refereeing you are watching things so closely to get the fouls, throw ins GK/Corners correct that you aren’t actually watching the game. When you zoom out a bit you actually see things better. It comes with experience.

Spot on William and for the unsure ones a loud 'Red throw' with your 'strong' signal will help as well!

I have recently refereed my very first game and I identified two areas where I definitely need to work on. The first was my foul recognition (I had exactly the same problem as ManinMiddle has had) and my second was working out which way some throw-ins would go. I know referees are supposed to give hand signals every time, and as soon as, there is a throw in but if you're not entirely sure which way the throw-in should go and only one team is clearly preparing to take the throw-in, should you give the hand-signal after the players on that team have prepared to take the throw-in? It's just that in my first match, I gave a hand signal before players from one team approached the ball and seemed bemused as to why I had given it to the other team. By the other team's reaction, it was clear they weren't expecting a throw-in so I got it wrong in this case. If I had left the hand signal for 5 more seconds, I would have signalled the correct way. Any advice? :)
Struggling to keep track of throws in the early days is tricky because your brain is overworked with other stuff like fouls, dissent, distraction and so on. It gets easier as it gets more familiar

That isn't right, certainly not at grass roots level. They don't do it at the top levels because they have assistants to make the signal, and the referee will generally only signal if it is in the opposite half of the pitch to the active assistant.

It was only when I got to L3 that it became acceptable to not signal every decision, indeed it was encouraged not to in order to avoid the risk of "crossing".
So would assessors be looking for signals on really obvious throws with clear flagging from assistants? I don't signal every throw just like i wouldn't restart with a whistle for most free kicks

Never quite got that always always going defensive argument, it’s your choice of choice not your choice of convenience! Gut feeling is usually right, and even if it’s wrong, tough! :wtf:
But there you have your gut feeling..........if you haven't a scooby......go defensive......

So would assessors be looking for signals on really obvious throws with clear flagging from assistants? I don't signal every throw just like i wouldn't restart with a whistle for most free kicks
Restarting play at free kicks with/without a whistle is another area I'm not 100% sure on. How would you determine when to restart play with a whistle at a free kick?

If it is not a mandatory 'on the whistle' restart as above them it's when you tell them its on the whistle, if you don't tell them they can just go!
I used to hate it when teams would hang about waiting for a whistle.........

Restarting play at free kicks with/without a whistle is another area I'm not 100% sure on.

I don't think you're the only one. Had a few teams holding up freekicks expecting a whistle from me recently, so I'm guessing some referees are playing by the whistle for everything. :hmmm:

I don't think you're the only one. Had a few teams holding up freekicks expecting a whistle from me recently, so I'm guessing some referees are playing by the whistle for everything. :hmmm:
Not me, only whistle when I had to......the reticent referee........

I think a lot of refs make everything ceremonial when its anywhere near the penalty area.

Back