A&H

This is kind of hypothetical....

MattyontheWhistle

RefChat Addict
Game at weekend, I was watching a couple of colleagues who were officiating:

Quick counter attack, red team with two forwards and blue defenders chasing back.
Red attacker enters the 'D' with the ball, keeper off his line to close down the angle.

A defender carries on to the goal line to cover.

Red player with ball shoots, past the goalkeeper but defender on line stops the goal with his hand.

The other red attacker, pounces on the rebound and slams it home.

Ref blows but doesn't signal anything.....trots over to the AR, quick discussion and awards the goal, then books the defender who handled.

-------------------------------------

There was plenty of discussion afterwards, and the Ref's opinion was : I had to know if the scorer was offside when the first shot was hit before I could make the decision.

Before talking to the AR (who said that the scorer was level with the goalkeeper and therefore ONside) he had worked out:

A: Penalty and red card DOGSO if scorer was offside.
B: Advantage, goal and yellow card if scorer was onside.

One of the discussion points was - Should he still have red-carded the hand ball?
The fact that it prevented the goal being scored from the original shot made it DOGSO, regardless of the fact the Ref played advantage and a separate goal-scoring opportunity was created.

OR: should that phase of play be viewed as one, in it's entirety (from first shot to goal) and treat the handball as 'Deliberate' but not DOGSO because another opportunity was created by the hand ball offence?

The Referee Store
Matty - IMO go for B. I see where the ref is coming from but, had the defender not committed a handball there would have been a goal. Now that the ball has come back into play (and is still live as the whistle has not been blown) should the attacker be penalised? To me it would be unfair to penalise the attackers with either the offside or having to take a penalty (which they may miss). I have to admit that initially I thought it was straightforward but the more you look at it the more difficult it becomes. I think Advantage in this case, using a bit of Law 18. Who would be a ref eh? Definitely one for Youaretheref. Submit it, you might even win a shirt!

This is the unique one where the actual offence is DOG, rather than DOGSO.

DOG - Denying Opposition a Goal. The ball is going in when he handles so he denies the goal rather than a chance to score.

However with the follow-up the goal has not been denied - it's been scored. Caution is correct, as advantage has been played and gained.

Correct. Goal and YC. You can't dismiss as the goal has been scored directly from an advantage, and you wouldn't disallow the advantage as there's no guarantee they'd score the penalty but they did score from the advantage. Bigger question - what if he'd missed the rebound?

Bigger question - what if he'd missed the rebound?

As it all happened within a second or two, then I guess it would be 'no advantage gained, pull it back and penalise the DOGSOH'.

Ref never had time to even get the whistle to his mouth let alone raise his arms and shout 'Advantage'.

Back