A&H

thinking of quitting

Kent Ref

RefChat Addict
After nearly 30 years of reffing i'm thinking of quitting.

I was injured in March (first time in 29 years!) while doing a game (put my foot in a small divot and jarred my knee). I haven't reffed since and i'm still injured.

In that time i've used the Sundays to either do the garden, go out for lunch with friends or pottering about at home.

I got calls for friendlies but declined because of injury.

I can honestly say i have not missed it and i have not noticed the money i have lost because of it. Also, in my mind, is the slow, gradual and constant decline in standards of behaviour from players, parents and spectators. That goes hand-in-hand with my perception of CFA's being a lot closer to the clubs and their money than their referees. I think when i first started this relationship was in the complete opposite direction - which was also wrong.

Maybe when the weather goes bad in October i'll feel differently but i'm 75% sure it's all over. Shame i've already paid my fees!

The Referee Store
I empathise with your thoughts KentRef. I turned my first one down of friday, no doubt many more to come. This computer and body says NO......

Having taking a season out I came back last year, three games two injuries later I don't know whether the calves and knees can take the changes in direction anymore. I may just register and keep my options open........

Have you thought of trying something other than what you have been officiating up to this point?

I haven't been reffing anywhere near as long as you but I decided to break things up last season by alternating my Sundays between men and women.

I'll be doing the same this season and also reducing the number of saturdays I do.

Back