A&H

The nanny state....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Padfoot

The Persecuted One
..or in this case, forum.

Stop wrapping people in cotton wool and insulating them from their mistakes.

When somebody asks what the issue is with a particular topic, and has that issue explained politely yet completely.....to then thread ban someone is particularly pathetic.

But hey, if you want to reinforce poor practice and allow new referees to wander through the early part of their career believing they are great, only to have reality land with a crash when they decide to seek promotion or move into more competitive games, then crack on...you're doing a great job.

The question was asked, answered politely and yet still not good enough.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Padfoot. You sir are a bully.

The forum user in question had already agreed that he would do differently next time and you then decide to beat on the kid with your holier than thou nonsense. To someone who had already agreed earlier in the thread with the point you were making. You then forced the forum user into defending a position they had already agreed was not correct. This is very poor judgement on your part. Hell, let's not mince words, it's bullying of a 15 year referee who came to the forum to ask for support and advice.

Nobody will disagree what you were saying was correct. Your manner of delivery is very, very poor to the point of yet again making you into a pantomime villain who should be ignored. It's boring mate.

As for the thread ban, when you are told to pack it in, listen up please, that doesn't mean just keep bullying away.

I hope this makes things clear.

Oh grow up.

He asked a direct question....which is double quoted in my lengthy reply.....and got a polite direct answer. Had he not asked the question, I would've had no further interaction.

Nothing to do with bullying.......despite your weak attempt at turning into such.
If he were one of my current mentees or I was assessing him, he would have received the same advice.

Oh grow up.

He asked a direct question....which is double quoted in my lengthy reply.....and got a polite direct answer. Had he not asked the question, I would've had no further interaction.

Nothing to do with bullying.......despite your weak attempt at turning into such.
If he were one of my current mentees or I was assessing him, he would have received the same advice.
Padfoot

Nobody is disagreeing with your advice given (certainly not SM or myself), and I'd hope the exact same advice would be given to a mentee or assessee. However, as SM has just said above, it was your comments after OP had accepted he did the incorrect thing and would do differently next. That is taking the advice, learning from it and then, hopefully, implementing it.

For what it's worth, I wholeheartedly agreed with each every one of your points individually but agree with SM about your tone being uncalled for.

Padfoot

Nobody is disagreeing with your advice given (certainly not SM or myself), and I'd hope the exact same advice would be given to a mentee or assessee. However, as SM has just said above, it was your comments after OP had accepted he did the incorrect thing and would do differently next. That is taking the advice, learning from it and then, hopefully, implementing it.

For what it's worth, I wholeheartedly agreed with each every one of your points individually but agree with SM about your tone being uncalled for.

I was asked a direct question......I responded to that question in a polite manner, explaining what the 'issue' was.

And got banned for it.......an overreaction that was uncalled for. Then to compound it I am accused of bullying.......which so totally inaccurate it might as well be an MP's expenses.

That most definitely was NOT what you did, Padfoot. Right from your first post in that thread you belittled the user asking the question, accusing an inexperienced referee who is asking if they did the wrong or right thing of being last week's referee. Comments like that drive people away from the forum. No need to belittle people for making a mistake and seeking guidance around in - in fact, that's exactly what this forum is for.
You give a lot of good advice (and plenty I disagree with, and that's part of the fun of the forum) - but all too often you can't resist the urge to remind somebody how terrible or inadequate they are. Just makes people afraid of posting really, and is not the helpful, educational environment we're striving to achieve on here. I don't know if it's an ego thing or what that makes you do it, but that tends to be the problem Padfoot.
Nobody is trying to allow referees to unnecessarily believe they are great - but abusing referees for taking the effort and the courage to speak up and say 'did I do wrong here? How can I be better?' is not on. Referees cop enough of that on the weekend - they don't need it in a location which is supposed to be a source of support and education.
Nanny state? That hyperbole is laughable in itself. It's a privately run forum, not a democratic state subject to the UNDHR.
The bullying comment is most certainly apt, as you've demonstrated on repeated occasions.

That most definitely was NOT what you did, Padfoot. Right from your first post in that thread you belittled the user asking the question, accusing an inexperienced referee who is asking if they did the wrong or right thing of being last week's referee. Comments like that drive people away from the forum. No need to belittle people for making a mistake and seeking guidance around in - in fact, that's exactly what this forum is for.
You give a lot of good advice (and plenty I disagree with, and that's part of the fun of the forum) - but all too often you can't resist the urge to remind somebody how terrible or inadequate they are. Just makes people afraid of posting really, and is not the helpful, educational environment we're striving to achieve on here. I don't know if it's an ego thing or what that makes you do it, but that tends to be the problem Padfoot.
Nobody is trying to allow referees to unnecessarily believe they are great - but abusing referees for taking the effort and the courage to speak up and say 'did I do wrong here? How can I be better?' is not on. Referees cop enough of that on the weekend - they don't need it in a location which is supposed to be a source of support and education.
Nanny state? That hyperbole is laughable in itself. It's a privately run forum, not a democratic state subject to the UNDHR.
The bullying comment is most certainly apt, as you've demonstrated on repeated occasions.

You bullied me once. ;) :p
I came through it though and it made me stronger.

Yes, stronger, that's me now that is. :D

@Padfoot mate, just accept you was in the wrong and we can all sit back and rejoice in that. :p

in all honesty, I agree with @SM and @DanCohen17 (the shock horror!) you was very very right in what you said, its just how you put it ... I have guys at work, that it would be so so easy for me to shout at them call them all f*****g useless and be done with it. but that doesn't help them learn what they did wrong, and it definitely doesn't help how I am perceived. Now I may not be the best person for commenting as, I'm sure everyone knows, I spat my dummy out the other day - but really dude, drop it and move on. we have all accepted you are a master referee, the Jedi master of officiating, you are the Messiah of the w*****s in black and we feel very fortunate to have you grace us with your presence in what is, I'm sure, a hectic schedule ... but the kid is a noob so, be kind? :rolleyes:;):):cool::p

[. we have all accepted you are a master referee, the Jedi master of officiating,

I'm thinking his Username text should reflect that too. ;)

Padders, consider changing it from "The Enlightened One" to "Jedi Member".

I'd be more comfortable with that to be honest. ;) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back