A&H

Junior/Youth The circus is in town

Phonesurgeon

Cook, Cleaner and Bottle Washer
Level 7 Referee
So this was yesterday in junior league.
Away team in yellow, home team yellow. Comp rules state away team to change.
Away coach didn't bring bibs.
Before kick off 2nd away coach,tell me the actual coach is ill and couldn't travel.

Found out after game neither are qualified coach, and I assume neither has a valid CRC check.

Second half away player already on a caution, commits another foul, whistle for free kick and I go to talk to him, he wouldn't listen, then start applauding sarcastically while saying "you are such a big man".
Decided then to go for second yellow and red! Then all hell break loose.

Coach running to me, you can't send him off... I just did. I say to him he has to leave.
Coach: you are endangering his welfare if he has to leave. I replied its your responsability not mine!

Coach again: I'll take my team off the field. Me: your decision, if you do that in my report I'll state that.
So player leave FOP, coach couldn't give a stuff, home team parent stays with player.

After game coach asking for reason of sending off, I explain first yellow for foul tackle, second yellow for dissent. 2 yellows = red.
Coach then asks why he have to leave, I replied with Law 12, clear as day!
Coach saying he never heard of this.
He then starts a torrent of nonsense, few away parents shouting they will report me... And a pearl of wisdom: coach say apparently I spoiled the game, his team won 4-1.

This is my opinion: is grassroots football really stooped this low? At junior level they can get any tom dick or harry take charge of children without any checks? And even if they were qualified and vetted, is it still an excuse not knowing the provisions of the LOTG? And then attack the ref for doing his job?

The Referee Store
So this was yesterday in junior league.
Away team in yellow, home team yellow. Comp rules state away team to change.
Away coach didn't bring bibs.
Before kick off 2nd away coach,tell me the actual coach is ill and couldn't travel.

Found out after game neither are qualified coach, and I assume neither has a valid CRC check.

Second half away player already on a caution, commits another foul, whistle for free kick and I go to talk to him, he wouldn't listen, then start applauding sarcastically while saying "you are such a big man".
Decided then to go for second yellow and red! Then all hell break loose.

Coach running to me, you can't send him off... I just did. I say to him he has to leave.
Coach: you are endangering his welfare if he has to leave. I replied its your responsability not mine!

Coach again: I'll take my team off the field. Me: your decision, if you do that in my report I'll state that.
So player leave FOP, coach couldn't give a stuff, home team parent stays with player.

After game coach asking for reason of sending off, I explain first yellow for foul tackle, second yellow for dissent. 2 yellows = red.
Coach then asks why he have to leave, I replied with Law 12, clear as day!
Coach saying he never heard of this.
He then starts a torrent of nonsense, few away parents shouting they will report me... And a pearl of wisdom: coach say apparently I spoiled the game, his team won 4-1.

This is my opinion: is grassroots football really stooped this low? At junior level they can get any tom dick or harry take charge of children without any checks? And even if they were qualified and vetted, is it still an excuse not knowing the provisions of the LOTG? And then attack the ref for doing his job?

There's always been an element of coaches in our game that behave like this and don't respect the referees decisions. Sounded like you handed well. It's good that a parent was accompanying the lad you sent off. I managed kids football for 6 years and there were loads of coaches who werent CRC'd. You often find that at u10s, all the coaches are keen and do everything by the book but in the ensuing years many stop for varying reasons and then anyone they can find takes up the role of coach without ever doing the CRC or first aid etc. Clubs should be more proactive in ensuring their volunteers are compliant but you will always find the odd club that aren't.

As for the circus. U21 match for me this morning. Away team are top, home team next to bottom. 5 mins before kick off and away team have 7 men and no kit (it they had their Xmas party the night before and the lad who has the kit is late, along with half the squad). Home team have 9. Several injuries and 3 lads who are about to start a football scholarship in Florida after Xmas do aren't risking playing. I tell the managers that if they both agree I'll delay kick off but I need the home manager to check what time we have the facility for (4g facility run by the FA). Delay kick off by 15 mins and the kit and away players turn up just in time, home team only have 10 in total. An easy game to ref really but what a farce. If the home team manager didn't agree to delay kick off we'd have had an abandonment as no kit for the away team but he's correctly more interested in having a game of football rather than the points.

@Padfoot
It was U15 boys. Found the league welfare officer and informed him.

@Ben448844
Player sent off from away team, one of home team mum (she is a registered nurse) looked after the dismissed player.

Aside for the whole circus, one question needs to be asked:

Once a junior player gets dismissed from fop, whose responsibility is it to ensure his/her safety? Is it referee or club?

Aside for the whole circus, one question needs to be asked:

Once a junior player gets dismissed from fop, whose responsibility is it to ensure his/her safety? Is it referee or club?
I've dismissed a few youngsters. I think @Mintyref is right, but if i became aware of an obvious safeguarding issue, I'd stop the game to get the club to deal with it

Depending on what else the coach has said at that point I'd be tempted to tell him that he can go and wait with the player as he's not welcome pitch side either.

Update:

I have emailed league welfare officer as well as CFA welfare officer with that question. Will see what the "official" reply will be.

How did he think you were endangering his welfare if he has to leave.?

Was the assistant the only adult on the sideline ?

I haven't yet filed my report, I am going to report them, but struggling to word it!

The DBS is I get that.

Is that really anything to do with us though?

Usually it's the other way round. The club have a safeguarding officer and the club is meant to be asking us referees if have the DBS. We actually have ID and verification badges to prove this now which must be worn and displayed in all U18 fixtures pre and post-match.

I've never really considered checking if the coaches and managers etc are DBS checked etc, as that's beyond our scope and should be a given anyway. I know they don't always play by the rules: I've reported two clubs this season already for trying to recruit non-DBS checked referees for youth fixtures, so there are clubs with safeguarding in place that neglect the bloody safeguarding rules... :wall:

Cool, I've reported the incident to league welfare officer for the 2 adults!
As far as the players I've sent my report with cards!

I did a us v them game u21 a few year ago

As innocent as that sounds, sadly it is religion based

Away captain due a red, handling on the line...his plea, its a red but please not send him to the dressing room.

Taking stock of the situation, no, no way am putting him to the dressing room

Horses for courses

Is that really anything to do with us though?

Usually it's the other way round. The club have a safeguarding officer and the club is meant to be asking us referees if have the DBS. We actually have ID and verification badges to prove this now which must be worn and displayed in all U18 fixtures pre and post-match.

I've never really considered checking if the coaches and managers etc are DBS checked etc, as that's beyond our scope and should be a given anyway. I know they don't always play by the rules: I've reported two clubs this season already for trying to recruit non-DBS checked referees for youth fixtures, so there are clubs with safeguarding in place that neglect the bloody safeguarding rules... :wall:

No its not, neither is stuff like unregistered players or over age players.

I did a us v them game u21 a few year ago

As innocent as that sounds, sadly it is religion based

Away captain due a red, handling on the line...his plea, its a red but please not send him to the dressing room.

Taking stock of the situation, no, no way am putting him to the dressing room

Horses for courses
I don't get this post but your authority is limited to making him leave the FOP, tech area and it's vicinity. You have no authority in telling him where he should go outside outside of that.

Back