A&H

The “Rargh” Rule

Silhouette

Target of Abuse
Level 7 Referee
Hello again, lesson learned from making one post with a thousand questions (well… 11 I think), I'm trying to give them their own area for discussion to keep things clean.

My other query – the “Rargh” Rule.

This is

A) The goalkeeper is about to jump and catch a cross – the opposition player behind the keeper shouts “leave it” (or usually screams “rargh” in my experience) to put off the keeper (or to trick him into thinking his own player is behind him/going to clear it).
B) A long ball is coming to a defender, if he controls it – he can clear it – if he miscontrols it – the opposition attacker is ready to gamble. When he’s about to trap the ball, the attacker shouts “rargh”
C) Player about to deliver an edge of the area DFK, the wall – in unison – shout “rargh” when they jump/attempt to block.

What do you do? Because,

A) The ball will now/probably be in the keepers arms, do you wait for the ball to next go OOP – then you lose the opportunity to discipline in a crowd (missing the chance to let everyone know that’s its not acceptable).
B) Blow for the ‘foul’ and it’s the defenders ball… then I have to justify to EVERYONE who didn’t hear the attacker shout… Which can sometimes be an impossibility – and because they stone cold wont believe you (or think that’s not really a rule and shouting is allowed) you will lose control/respect of the match.
C) The ball misses the goal, do you let the kick be retaken?

PS Does the “Rargh” rule (self-titled) have a real name? Is this just USB/USC?

The Referee Store
LOTG P123
Cautions for unsporting behaviour
There are different circumstances when a player must be cautioned for unsporting behaviour, e.g. if a player:
• verbally distracts an opponent during play or at a restart

So, if you believe that the player has been distracted then you stop play, caution the offender and restart with an IDFK from where the offence took place. Note - you must caution the offender, you can't just give an IDFK - as you say, the offence is USB.

A) If the keeper has caught the ball, he has not been significantly distracted and so I would play on and either have a quiet word with the offender in passing or shout something like "keep the noise down number 9".

B) If the defender controls it - as above. If he mis-controls it I would stop, caution and award an IDFK if I felt the mis-control was due to the shout.

C) If the player has already kicked the ball when the wall shouts then there is no distraction (although I would have a word before the next FK with a wall to prevent this happening again). If they shout before the ball is kicked then and you feel that the kicker had been distracted you could blow to stop play, caution someone (or everyone) in the wall and, as the offence happened before the ball was in play then you could justify a re-take. Whether the shot goes wide is only relevant if you think that it has gone wide because of the distraction - there is no analogy to the penalty laws. In practice it is unlikely that a player will be put off by players shouting at the moment they jump as the jump and the kick are almost simultaneous.

I think that the distraction has to be fairly clear - it's not snooker! In addition, although the word "deliberate" is not in the laws, I can't think of any reasonable situation where I would caution without the distraction being deliberate

I agree with McTavish.

Only penalise if a mistake occurs due to the attempted verbal distraction in your opinion. Otherwise it's a quiet word.

If a player shouts Raaaaahhh!!!! or any thing else stupid or childish ....im stopping it Booking him and giving an IDFK to the opposition Every time ..........

I Hate that:devil:

Just proceed with caution if one of the players is called Raj :rolleyes:

I once stopped play because the young defender behind me was saying, 'Ow, ow, ow' very loudly after he'd cleared the ball and i assumed that he had hurt himself.

when he said he was fine, i told him that he shouldn't cry out if he wasn't injured, for the reasons given above

turned out he was imploring his defensive team mates to get up-field quickly and had indeed cried 'out, ...... out, out' :oops:

Very like the situation when a player has a name or nickname that sounds like REF .....how annoying ,spend the whole game looking around wondering whats gone wrong !!!!!!

Had a game the other week with a midfielder called Reg. He was captain and clearly the best player. All I could hear was REG REG REG all match. I was turning round all the time! Annoying obviously the only time I ignored the shouts was when the manager was calling me to make a sub. Really annoying for the whole game!

Very like the situation when a player has a name or nickname that sounds like REF .....how annoying ,spend the whole game looking around wondering whats gone wrong !!!!!!
Was reffing a women's game recently and a player was called Beth, which when shouted is pronounced 'Beff!' I was soooo confused and therefore only stopped when I heard incessant shouting directed at me! :rolleyes:

Had a game the other week with a midfielder called Reg. He was captain and clearly the best player. All I could hear was REG REG REG all match. I was turning round all the time! Annoying obviously the only time I ignored the shouts was when the manager was calling me to make a sub. Really annoying for the whole game!

^^This.

lol @Supermonkey - actually fully made me laugh out loud in the office lol

had a red team the other week...again 'come on red' etc ...i think they purpiosley do it to wind you up

Back