A&H

That time of year

Ben448844

RefChat Addict
It must be the end of the season. Game today was called off the night before as the away side couldn't raise a team. Tomorrows u21 match also been postponed now, also due to the away team unable to raise a team.

I've picked up an u15 game instead (Don't usually do junior football) just because I'm on the promotion scheme and want to keep my eye in, but the same thing happened last year. No issues until the last few weeks of the season and then teams with nothing to play for can't/won't raise a team. Sigh

The Referee Store
It must be the end of the season. Game today was called off the night before as the away side couldn't raise a team. Tomorrows u21 match also been postponed now, also due to the away team unable to raise a team.

I've picked up an u15 game instead (Don't usually do junior football) just because I'm on the promotion scheme and want to keep my eye in, but the same thing happened last year. No issues until the last few weeks of the season and then teams with nothing to play for can't/won't raise a team. Sigh
Yup, I had the same thing yesterday. Teams who can't win anything lose interest around about now

Yup, I had the same thing yesterday. Teams who can't win anything lose interest around about now

What about a great facility, three astros, always fully booked, cant get near car park on a sun....today I turned up for a 915am, reception said am one of three games on....today
A place which you can never usually book, from 9am to 7pm...so, 3 pitches at how many games...
Laying empty

Reason? The ugly sisters .

Even my coach was like, most my boys have season tickets so no injury time please

As a non blue/green......its sickening

Yeah, it happened last year too. At least I got a days notice so I could arrange other things. In Sheffield they have a great system for the junior league (which is huge), where games without refs can be put on a website (if the home team wishes) and refs can login in and click a button to accept the fixture. As simple as that, it's fantastic.

I don't do many junior games, I'll just pick one up if there's one on my way home or at the same ground as I've been at in the morning. When I looked at the website on Friday there was a game going on the same pitch as my morning game (u15) so I accepted the game. Morning game got cancelled so I have a long drive for a junior game in the afternoon which wasn't ideal but it couldn't be helped. Overgrown grass, lines hardly visible (I just expect that now). It was a great game, 2-2, played in great spirits.

Three teams withdrew this month, one senior and two juniors.

We have had teams withdrawing all season though, and I'm aware in the next county over some teams have actually folded completely which is a bit of a shame.

Haven't had any of my games called off yet though.

Three teams withdrew this month, one senior and two juniors.

We have had teams withdrawing all season though, and I'm aware in the next county over some teams have actually folded completely which is a bit of a shame.

Haven't had any of my games called off yet though.

I've done almost 60 games this year and I've had 2 postponed due to weather and that's it. Both games this weekend postponed due to lack of players and it won't be the last. The interesting thing is I did 8 friendlies I July last year teams were so keen to be playing after a break! Same every year.

Looking at it rationally, there's nothing to play for in ore season and these are league games which are being conceeded with points up for grabs but there's nothing as odd as folk :)

Yep, I've had 3 games called off in the last 2 weeks because of teams who can't raise a side. What ever happened to just wanting to play football?

Yep, I've had 3 games called off in the last 2 weeks because of teams who can't raise a side. What ever happened to just wanting to play football?

The good players probably all sign for the teams who are still competing and the duffers like me end up refereeing!

The league my wife plays in suffers from this, as does her team, although they will play every fixture even if they only have 7 players.

I think it was the season before last one of the teams in their division is a university team, so postponed nearly all of their games that were over half term etc, so come the end of the season they have 5 or 6 fixtures to play, where they picked up enough points to win the division because the other teams didn't want to play football so forfeited the games.

Ultimately the team chose to stay in that division as all there beat players were leaving uni.

The local men's leagues always seem to fair quite well, with few if any games lost due to lack of players. Although admittedly the number of teams locally has reduced and both the Saturday and Sunday leagues near me have taken on teams from leagues a bit further away that have folded

True to form, a text at 11.30pm last night, this morning's u18 game is off as the home team only have 9 players. Obviously they should still play but they've cancelled it. I turned down two other middles and an AR on a junior final because I was assigned this match. 4th game in a row that's been cancelled last minute for me. I'll pick up a junior game this afternoon just to get a game but 4 in a row is ridiculous

Rock bottom team for division 1 here has actually turned up and played with 9 men yesterday. They lost, obviously, but they're nailed on for relegation anyway.

Props to them for sticking it out with just the 9 players though.

My OA game this morning was called off, by email, ten minutes before I was about to leave to drive over. Away team couldn't raise a team. I don't mind being fresh for the U15 game this afternoon but surely they could have known if they'd have a team a bit earlier than two hours before K.O.?

I had to chase this team up in the week as I'd heard nothing from them. Should've just accepted another fixture instead of chasing them. Lesson learned.

Just had one called off for failing to raise a side this afternoon.

Also been removed from my weekend game by request due to an ongoing misconduct report.

So, just the one game left and my season is finished. :)

Back