A&H

technique of 2 whistles

Status
Not open for further replies.

tirogalian

I recently bought a second whistle ( fox sonik blast) ( I already had a fox40). Ι'd like to try having both of them in the matches. These two whistles have different db. Blast has more db than fox40. So it will be appreciated if you guys had any tips about how to use both of them in a match. e.g. which whistle to use in every circumstance.

The Referee Store
I did have two whistles on the lanyard. Can't remember what there names were.

But only used the loudest for importance; usually when players were squaring up. Shock tactics....

A too loud whistle at grassroots looks wrong and some whistles only work properly with a full blow.

I use the blast. I find it is very flexible in varying tone and loudness. It is also the only whistle I can do a multiple blast whistling with. I am useless with the fox 40 classic and acme thunderer.

Exactly what Lincs said, use the louder one for important things mainly for player squaring up or on very rare occasions if a certain player is pretending to not hear me. You can use the other one with varying tones and intensity to showcase a variety of foul severity in my opinion.

I have those exact two whistles on my standard lanyard and use them for the exact reason the others above describe. Fox 40 for the vast majority of the time, Sonik Blast for breaking up fights or calling someone over who's is serious trouble. A full-bodied blast from the Sonik blast can make players recoil, wheras I find the Fox gives me slightly easier variety in tone for signalling a wider range of offences.

I have those exact two whistles on my standard lanyard and use them for the exact reason the others above describe. Fox 40 for the vast majority of the time, Sonik Blast for breaking up fights or calling someone over who's is serious trouble. A full-bodied blast from the Sonik blast can make players recoil, wheras I find the Fox gives me slightly easier variety in tone for signalling a wider range of offences.

It felt a bit uncomfortable having both of them in a wrist lanyard so i took the lanyard off. How do you hold both of them?

It felt a bit uncomfortable having both of them in a wrist lanyard so i took the lanyard off. How do you hold both of them?

I have had two whistles joined by the small keyring type loops that you normally clip to the lanyard.

However I preferd them on a lanyard so I knew I wouldn’t drop them

Both of them clipped directly to the ring of one of these https://www.newitts.com/acme-wrist-...1desjxBCvuCI-jIcMXTC-0eaunJwS4nxoChVkQAvD_BwE

Generally speaking, I hold the whistle I'm currently using (usually the Fox 40) between my thumb and index finger, while the spare whistle (the Blast) sits in the palm of my hand, kind of inside a loose fist made of my remaining 3 fingers. If I need to access the second whistle quickly, I can open my fingers but keep hold of the main whistle - the short distance between the two whistles usually means that it then falls to a fairly rigid position around my wrist, which you can access fairly easily.

Obviously once you've got it held in your mouth, you can quickly shift to a more natural grip if you need to keep blowing it....

I do have fairly small hands, so you might need to add an extra ring or two if your hands are significantly larger to make the distances match up.

Both of them clipped directly to the ring of one of these https://www.newitts.com/acme-wrist-...1desjxBCvuCI-jIcMXTC-0eaunJwS4nxoChVkQAvD_BwE

Generally speaking, I hold the whistle I'm currently using (usually the Fox 40) between my thumb and index finger, while the spare whistle (the Blast) sits in the palm of my hand, kind of inside a loose fist made of my remaining 3 fingers. If I need to access the second whistle quickly, I can open my fingers but keep hold of the main whistle - the short distance between the two whistles usually means that it then falls to a fairly rigid position around my wrist, which you can access fairly easily.

Obviously once you've got it held in your mouth, you can quickly shift to a more natural grip if you need to keep blowing it....

I do have fairly small hands, so you might need to add an extra ring or two if your hands are significantly larger to make the distances match up.

thnx mate, I 'll try both with the lanyard and without in each half of my sunday league match.

One of the reasons I like the Valkeen so much is that it is very agile. It can do quiet reminders, and little birdsong cheeps, and then it can do thunder of the gods blasts and next postcode pulses. I've started using it indoors this season and it's fine. I am careful not to do a blast when an unsuspecting player is close and/or side-on. It really is special IMHO and in a totally different class from the Fox range and SB etc.

One of the reasons I like the Valkeen so much is that it is very agile. It can do quiet reminders, and little birdsong cheeps, and then it can do thunder of the gods blasts and next postcode pulses. I've started using it indoors this season and it's fine. I am careful not to do a blast when an unsuspecting player is close and/or side-on. It really is special IMHO and in a totally different class from the Fox range and SB etc.
Couldn’t agree more.

Sonic Blast can produce very loud sounds because it has two chamber(s) and a large air intake (and air outlet). But the fact it has a large air intake means the length of your whistle can't be a long as what you can produce with a fox 40 classic. So when its a tense situation, it really depends on your preference on if you would go with a louder peep or a longer peep.

A Valkeen on the other hand can produce the same loudness as a Sonic Blast (or even slightly louder) but because of its design doesn't need as much air intake so you can produce very loud and long whistle. But you are paying for this flexibility (or agility as mention above). They cost 4 time or more than a Sonic Blast.

My preference is definitely Valkeen but after my son "borrowed" mine (without my knowledge and never returned) twice, I decided to stay with Sonic Blast.

Hope this helps.

Sonic Blast can produce very loud sounds because it has two chamber(s) and a large air intake (and air outlet). But the fact it has a large air intake means the length of your whistle can't be a long as what you can produce with a fox 40 classic. So when its a tense situation, it really depends on your preference on if you would go with a louder peep or a longer peep.

A Valkeen on the other hand can produce the same loudness as a Sonic Blast (or even slightly louder) but because of its design doesn't need as much air intake so you can produce very loud and long whistle. But you are paying for this flexibility (or agility as mention above). They cost 4 time or more than a Sonic Blast.

My preference is definitely Valkeen but after my son "borrowed" mine (without my knowledge and never returned) twice, I decided to stay with Sonic Blast.

Hope this helps.

definitely, blast is louder than fox40, but fox40 is more ''flexible''. I think I'll use my blast for yellow/red offences and mass confrontation.

Is it just me or do you not have more important things to concentrate on during those 90+ minutes than which whistle to blow for which incident? Just seems like a lot of hassle. I have one whistle and vary the tone when i need to, its not hard!

Agreed! - I have 2... Fox40 and a standard pea whistle... Check with the match next door, and select the tone that my match will recognise. Simples!

Is it just me or do you not have more important things to concentrate on during those 90+ minutes than which whistle to blow for which incident? Just seems like a lot of hassle. I have one whistle and vary the tone when i need to, its not hard!
Well done, aren't you clever. I personally have better things to do that worry about than working out how to belittle what works for other referees, so.....

Well done, aren't you clever. I personally have better things to do that worry about than working out how to belittle what works for other referees, so.....
He has a point though Graeme. Far bigger things to be concentrating on. I just couldnt imagine seeing a challenge made with excessive force and then thinking, bugger, need to switch whistles for that one. When really I need to be thinking about the reaction and preventing said reaction.
Particularly given that you can achieve what you want to achieve with either or whistle I personally couldnt envisage switching whistle mid game/incident.
I did for a tike take 2 whistles out with me when I was trying to master the fox 40. Invariably I went back to the blast for its ease of use, so now I only take the one out. Serves all purposes and I find it to be extremely flexible

He has a point though Graeme. Far bigger things to be concentrating on. I just couldnt imagine seeing a challenge made with excessive force and then thinking, bugger, need to switch whistles for that one. When really I need to be thinking about the reaction and preventing said reaction.
Particularly given that you can achieve what you want to achieve with either or whistle I personally couldnt envisage switching whistle mid game/incident.
I did for a tike take 2 whistles out with me when I was trying to master the fox 40. Invariably I went back to the blast for its ease of use, so now I only take the one out. Serves all purposes and I find it to be extremely flexible
The blast is louder, the fox is easier to control, those are both facts. And as such, there are obvious benefits to using one over the other in each situation. And yes, if there's a fight going on in front on my, I find it more efficient to switch that to tire myself out by failing to make as much noise on the fox. And it's really not tricky.

Why on earth you have a problem is what confuses me most. It's a technique that's worked for me, it's something that's fairly widely done and it's a technique that someone has specifically asked for help on implementing. What you both think you're adding to that discussion by telling me effectively that I'm going to be less good as a referee because of this is the toughest bit to get my head around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back