A&H

Technical Area Occupant - Delaying the restart

Russell Jones

RefChat Addict
If a member of a technical area delays the restart then I believe the sanctions are as follows:

Substitute / Substituted Player - Yellow Card
Team Official - restart by own team - Yellow Card
Team Official - restart by opposition - Red Card

If the culprit cannot be identified (admittedly somewhat unlikely) then the manager will be given the sanction if s(he) doesn't confirm the offender. If it's a delay of an opposition restart and the manager doesn't confirm whether it's a team official or a substitute, then should the manager receive a YC or RC? :)

The Referee Store
If a member of a technical area delays the restart then I believe the sanctions are as follows:

If the culprit cannot be identified (admittedly somewhat unlikely) then the manager will be given the sanction if s(he) doesn't confirm the offender. If it's a delay of an opposition restart and the manager doesn't confirm whether it's a team official or a substitute, then should the manager receive a YC or RC? :)
I'd like to think as the referee we would see whom the person was that was delaying the restart.
I'm trying to think of a scenario where a person does something to DRP and we arent able to identify them...
It would have to be a RC for me. If the manager is not offering up the offender he becomes complicit for me and therefore receives the relevant sanction

I got your exam question wrong on this subject. After reviewing the book, I'd say your assessment/synopsis is entirely correct. However, if we ever see anyone dismissed from the technical area dismissed as described, I'll eat my hat

The non identification comes from the match officials, not by the manager?

i.e, incident occurs but we aint sure who it was, the senior coach gets it.

same with an unsavoury shout, and we are not sure who it was, we sanction the senior coach and report as " being unable to confirm who was responsible we yc/rc ' senior coach' "

it would then be left to a panel or whoever to establish via the hearing who actually did what. The head guy, in simple terms, is the fall guy from his teams tech area behaviour, rationale being if he as head knows he will take the rap for unidentified misconduct, this should lessen its potential?

By asking who it was, the head guy simply offers up the guy he can afford to lose from the tech area and/or the guy with the immaculate behaviour record, rather than say, his number 2, who is just back from a long ban, or one dismissal away from suspension, i.e, its open to manipulation.

unless its been instructed different elsewhere, I am unaware of anything that says we ask the coach first as to who it was.

hopefully not taking the original post off at a tangent. Given the absence of this being specified in the book, this could indeed be a regional variation.
More than open to wider views on this.

The non identification comes from the match officials, not by the manager?

i.e, incident occurs but we aint sure who it was, the senior coach gets it.

same with an unsavoury shout, and we are not sure who it was, we sanction the senior coach and report as " being unable to confirm who was responsible we yc/rc ' senior coach' "

it would then be left to a panel or whoever to establish via the hearing who actually did what. The head guy, in simple terms, is the fall guy from his teams tech area behaviour, rationale being if he as head knows he will take the rap for unidentified misconduct, this should lessen its potential?

By asking who it was, the head guy simply offers up the guy he can afford to lose from the tech area and/or the guy with the immaculate behaviour record, rather than say, his number 2, who is just back from a long ban, or one dismissal away from suspension, i.e, its open to manipulation.

unless its been instructed different elsewhere, I am unaware of anything that says we ask the coach first as to who it was.

hopefully not taking the original post off at a tangent. Given the absence of this being specified in the book, this could indeed be a regional variation.
More than open to wider views on this.
I've cautioned the senior chap once before, exactly as you describe. I didn't ask him who was responsible. I said something along the lines of, 'i don't know who was responsible for that dissent, so you get the caution as you're responsible for the behaviour in your TA'. He took it on the chin (which might mean it was him that said it)

I've cautioned the senior chap once before, exactly as you describe. I didn't ask him who was responsible. I said something along the lines of, 'i don't know who was responsible for that dissent, so you get the caution as you're responsible for the behaviour in your TA'. He took it on the chin (which might mean it was him that said it)

Thats exact how I see the law intended, Absolutely no chance am having a debate and subsequent buck passing along each member of the coaching staff, am sure ( but open to other views) the priniciple is exact as pointed out, if we target the main man, he in turn knows he will take the fall for his tech area, in turn hopefully reducing the chances of misconduct.

if it was him, great, we got the right guy
if not him, as head man, the hope is he knows he is for it, and staff, either off their own bk, or his lead, behave better.

Thanks for the responses folks. In terms of how this might conceivably happen, I'm imagining the ball disappearing into where the subs sit, out of sight behind the standing managers and then suddenly reappearing having been booted away.

I may be overthinking the way it's written but to me the choice of the phrase 'cannot be identified' rather than simply 'is unknown' suggests that you could / should at least give the manager to offer up the culprit rather than him automatically taking the rap ... red carding the manager of a team rather than (potentially) yellow carding a substituted player is a pretty big difference, especially if you know for certain it wasn't the manager who committed the offence.

I guess the question remains, especially for those not giving the manager the option to 'come clean' re the culprit, would you give him red or yellow in this instance and how would you justify your choice?

If the ball is away from the field like that already, there's already and inherent delay, and I'm keeping my cards in my pocket and having a discussion with the manger that it won't happen again. YMMV.

Other possibility is that you and your assistants see a particular person boot the ball away, but they then disappear into a mass of team officials all wearing similar kit some of who look similar from a distance.

If you can't positively identify the offender, senior member if the technical area cops the punishment. No skin off the match official's nose - the person who takes the sanction is responsible for the ridiculous behaviour anyway.

Obviously you wouldn't flash red. It would be a short, measured conversation explaining the decision and then determining who the next most senior is.

I guess the question remains, especially for those not giving the manager the option to 'come clean' re the culprit, would you give him red or yellow in this instance and how would you justify your choice?
I like the way you think :)

When there is a possibility of two sanctions, the laws have precedence for going for the bigger one. Based on that I'd say red.

What was not discussed here is that would anyone actually tell them if it's a sub it's yellow but if you don't identify it then it's red for senior team official? This would likely quickly have 'a sub' identified.

For me it depends on how the senior team official has been behaving up till then.

Thanks for the responses folks. In terms of how this might conceivably happen, I'm imagining the ball disappearing into where the subs sit, out of sight behind the standing managers and then suddenly reappearing having been booted away.

I may be overthinking the way it's written but to me the choice of the phrase 'cannot be identified' rather than simply 'is unknown' suggests that you could / should at least give the manager to offer up the culprit rather than him automatically taking the rap ... red carding the manager of a team rather than (potentially) yellow carding a substituted player is a pretty big difference, especially if you know for certain it wasn't the manager who committed the offence.

I think this is the bit that grates with me. If I know it was someone on the bench and definitely wasn't the manager, I think I'd give him the opportunity to offer someone up. If an incident occurs on a bench in a bit of a melee/huddle of similarly tracksuited people and the manager is somewhere in that pile of people, then he can take the card and we'll move on.

I think this is the bit that grates with me. If I know it was someone on the bench and definitely wasn't the manager, I think I'd give him the opportunity to offer someone up. If an incident occurs on a bench in a bit of a melee/huddle of similarly tracksuited people and the manager is somewhere in that pile of people, then he can take the card and we'll move on.
Yep, happened to me on a County senior Cup game.
I was standing over an injury (not sure how to say this, basically a player ws injured, physio was on and I was loitering) on the opposite side of the pitch.
Suddenly all kicks off on in technical area.
I saw a red card offence but the main fracas was pretty much all of all benches and very unclear who was offending and who was peace making. AR didn't have any info to give so pulled both managers in and said you guys are responsible for your areas so you are both having a caution.

Back