A&H

Tattoos In Football

Albert

Level 7 Referee
When I am older, I want to get sleeve tattoos on both arms.
I would also like to become a premier league referee at a Time in the future.

I was wondering if getting sleeve tattoos on both arms would mean that my chances of getting to that level would be reduced Because of the Tattoos.

The Referee Store
I've been told before that my hair was too long to "generate the required respect". Old fashioned views from old school observers, but those opinions definitely do exist among the people who will be grading your progress. Those opinions will die out over time, but there's no way to guarantee they'll be gone from the game by the time it will matter to you. And the same applies to fans watching - John Moss clearly passes the FA fitness test every year, but it doesn't stop him being slated online for looking a bit fat compared to the players he's refereeing.

One thing I will say is that you won't be able to get anything football-related (or that could be misconstrued as football-related) anywhere visible. If your sleeve design has birds in them, better make sure that bird doesn't look anything like a Liverbird or the Brighton seagull. No Wolves. A devil? That could be seen as a Man U reference. Any numbers or dates? Make sure a team didn't also win a big trophy on that date or in that year.

One thing that has always been true and will always remain is that the FA are cautious. If they have two equally good SG1 candidates, but one has arm tattoos that miiiiight be a reference to support for Chelsea and the other has bare arms, you don't need me to tell you which one they'll pick.

I've been told before that my hair was too long to "generate the required respect". Old fashioned views from old school observers, but those opinions definitely do exist among the people who will be grading your progress. Those opinions will die out over time, but there's no way to guarantee they'll be gone from the game by the time it will matter to you. And the same applies to fans watching - John Moss clearly passes the FA fitness test every year, but it doesn't stop him being slated online for looking a bit fat compared to the players he's refereeing.

One thing I will say is that you won't be able to get anything football-related (or that could be misconstrued as football-related) anywhere visible. If your sleeve design has birds in them, better make sure that bird doesn't look anything like a Liverbird or the Brighton seagull. No Wolves. A devil? That could be seen as a Man U reference. Any numbers or dates? Make sure a team didn't also win a big trophy on that date or in that year.

One thing that has always been true and will always remain is that the FA are cautious. If they have two equally good SG1 candidates, but one has arm tattoos that miiiiight be a reference to support for Chelsea and the other has bare arms, you don't need me to tell you which one they'll pick.
Thanks for this really helped me.

When I am older, I want to get sleeve tattoos on both arms.
I would also like to become a premier league referee at a Time in the future.

I was wondering if getting sleeve tattoos on both arms would mean that my chances of getting to that level would be reduced Because of the Tattoos.

The fantastic maverick Mark Clattenburg has tatoos.....any issue solved by wearing long sleeves.

the only factor should be, are you good enough. In practise sadly that is not the case. Not as harsh as environment as in years gone by but discrimination is still rife.

The fantastic maverick Mark Clattenburg has tatoos.....any issue solved by wearing long sleeves.

the only factor should be, are you good enough. In practise sadly that is not the case. Not as harsh as environment as in years gone by but discrimination is still rife.
But this is my point - Clatts was so good that I think he was going to make it anyway. Had a number of on and off-field controversies and still could have chosen to stick around as the best referee in England and one of the top 2 or 3 in Europe, simply because he was exactly that.

But if you're not quite in that top stratosphere, you'll find yourself being compared with others who are also in the "good enough" bracket. And that's when stuff like your appearance might end up being the deciding factor between two close candidates. If you chose to make yourself look what might be considered "less professional", you take away the option of being as good as the rest and end up needing to be better than the pack to keep moving up.

But this is my point - Clatts was so good that I think he was going to make it anyway. Had a number of on and off-field controversies and still could have chosen to stick around as the best referee in England and one of the top 2 or 3 in Europe, simply because he was exactly that.

But if you're not quite in that top stratosphere, you'll find yourself being compared with others who are also in the "good enough" bracket. And that's when stuff like your appearance might end up being the deciding factor between two close candidates. If you chose to make yourself look what might be considered "less professional", you take away the option of being as good as the rest and end up needing to be better than the pack to keep moving up.

100%, hopefully that was the point I was agreeing with, discrimination, for thats exactly what it is, is horribly rife

its all a tick box exercise for the rest of us mere mortals

Does his job fit the bill?
does his bodyshape suit?
indeed does he have short black hair/bald, no tatoos

if so, proceed to next criteria, his ability.

Christ, what a ridiculous comment, I would have kicked up a fuss over that. :mute:

It's simple discrimination. Surely no one would get away with that these days? If that's in your report or even mentioned to you then hit back there and then and report/appeal if necessary.

It's simple discrimination. Surely no one would get away with that these days? If that's in your report or even mentioned to you then hit back there and then and report/appeal if necessary.

It goes unofficially on record.
nobody brave ( stupid) enough to put it in print.

It will draw comments from some of the older observers I suspect. I don't remember seeing any referees at senior levels with them, and those that I know do have them wear long sleeves.

I know of a football league ref who has tattoos.
I, done before I was a referee, have the initials of the club I support on my forearm so if I ever get near I'll have to think about a Solution.. Removal/cover up.
Players have tattoos, why can't referees?

Communication is the most important aspect of Refereeing. Appearance is one element of communication
Even in the absence of overt discrimination, we subconsciously assess people on first sight. Unless the tattoos are offensive in any way, I don't care about them. But others may make judgements based on their appearance. That goes for any feature of our appearance
Tattoos are so common place these days, only the old funny duddies are likely to object

If somebody even mentions it then it should be shot down straight away. I'd at least discuss it with whoever is in charge of observations in an informal manner. It should not and can not be a consideration in my opinion.

It may well be an issue for older observers bit they should be told that it cannot be an issue, just like any other issue with appearance.

I'm not trying to be contrary here, and the advice is clearly outdated. But he was absolutely right to identify that "projecting authority" was something I struggled with early on, and while suggesting a haircut as one possible solution isn't exactly outstanding advice, it's also a long way away from harmful. It didn't overtly affect the mark - and to be honest, if he was going to mark me down for appearance, I'd rather know why than just lose marks for no obvious reason!

I'm not trying to be contrary here, and the advice is clearly outdated. But he was absolutely right to identify that "projecting authority" was something I struggled with early on, and while suggesting a haircut as one possible solution isn't exactly outstanding advice, it's also a long way away from harmful. It didn't overtly affect the mark - and to be honest, if he was going to mark me down for appearance, I'd rather know why than just lose marks for no obvious reason!
It's not as wild as you may think.
I'm balding and I am certain I get less aggro when I'm clean shaven than when I've got the little hair that I can. Actually grow on my head.
Maybe it's in my mind, and I feel more confident but it's definitely a thing.
Not saying it was right to be suggested in the capacity it was but I can certainly see how it helps me.

I was at a guitar workshop a while back with the amazing Guthrie Govern. In the intimate Q&A after one lad asked “when I’m really successful how do I know which sponsors to choose to work with?”

Similarly, I think you might be focusing on the wrong things.

Last edited:
At the end of the day I think you'd be foolish to not do something you want to do on the basis that it might look bad on the off chance you're good enough to become a PL ref.

People have been called out and ridiculed in FA meetings for hairstyles and facial hair. I completely agree it is wrong, outdated, and is probably getting a lot better, but whilst some officials remain in positions of power in refereeing standing out from the crowd will be a risk.

It isn't just refereeing though. A company I used to work at said that you had to cover up tattoos in certain places in the office, such as customer floors and trading areas. If you have tattoos you are banned from almost all public swimming pools and hot spas in Japan, that's on the basis they are associated with Triads. You probably remember that at the Rugby World Cup in Japan in 2019 overseas players were asked to wear long sleeves to cover up tattoos for that reason.

Back