A&H

tape the same colour as socks

Andrew Ewen

Was watching a game at my local ground this morning and noticed that 2 players from red team were wearing white tape (no other white in the kit)

the issue wasn't this but what the referee did about it. The game was 3 minutes old when he noticed (I'd arrived at ko so wasn't sure of his kit checks before the game) and ball had gone out of play close to where I was stood. I clear heard the referee as the 2 players to remove the tape before the game could continue. He definitely did not as them to leave the field of play. players both crouch down untie the tape and throw it off the field. referee then comes over and issues a caution to both players for delaying the restart of the game (he told them during the caution they shouldve known to leave the field)

I was quite astonished with this as a) he shouldve known before the game and b) they simply followed his instruction to the letter making no fuss about being asked to do it.

The game was an u15 play off game.

The Referee Store
First paragraph - assume it's going to be another of "those stories"

Second paragraph - hmm interesting, where's this going? hmm, interesting; WTF?

Third - agree, me too. lol

SERIOUSLY - WTF!!!

MY club had an U15's called off because both teams had blue socks, and the referee refused to let the game start. Correct in law, but one team had had an hour's journey to get to our club, and within the time frame we couldn't come up with an alternative set of socks. Referee got paid, and off he went. My view would have been how can we get this game on, for lads to go out and enjoy a game of football - my approach would have been "OK managers, both teams have the same socks - some of my decisions around who touched the ball last may be wrong, so I don't want any complaints. Are you both OK with that? Yes - great, let's get going."

I officiated a cup final recently where both teams turned up with black shorts and black socks. Ref asked if one could change but was given the excuse that they had no other kit. The game went ahead. Lot's of 'sorry lads didn't know who got the last touch. Defence ball'. :)

I didn't see you there mate. Should have said hello!

To be honest they deserved that booking. Bloody eat into my beer time taking sock tape off on the pitch. Liberty!

In all seriousness though:

Don't it make you sick that we get grief if we book someone for smashing the ball away 80 yards when we've stopped for a free kick yet refs do this?

Let's hope neither of them had to tie up a lace in the game! Bye bye sonny Jim. Warm up the shower for me!

Ooooooshhhh

Maybe this thread should be renamed what Ref's do to make a rod for everybody else back. Seeing as were on the subject then i know of a ref this season who asked a manager to substitute a player because he had called him all the names under the sun including both C's and then the player stood by the side of the pitch singing the referee's a wan**r over and over again. What did he do? In his words "I went over to him and told him to shut it as he wasnt worth the paperwork". This is in OA football i kid you not!!! He told me about it with great pride at a meeting and i nearly fell off my chair (he honestly thought he had handled it well), caused quite an argument as yo can imagine.

im not going to lie @Cheshire Ref - if that happened in Essex, I kid you not, the referee wouldn't have told him 'you're not worth the paperwork' he'd have probably made a quip about 'that's not what your mother said last night' before wrapping his lanyard around said players neck, strangling him into submission and calmly continuing the game

It's long been recognised that players don't know the LotG :rolleyes:, why would they have known to leave the pitch?

Idiots like this give the rest of us a bad name.

Back